The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Anachronism

I nearly got in a bar fight for contradicting my waitress and well the rest of the bar on their view that in Reloaded, Zion was destroyed by the machines. I attempted to explain that it was only the counteroffensive that was destroyed thanks to a poorly timed EMP. The bar began to boo me once my waitress stood up and proclaimed my ignorance. At which point I stood up and told them all that in fact the world was round and that much to their dismay the sun does not revolve around the earth. It was about then that some large ludditic goons had begun to make their way towards me in a 3 stoogesque manner grabbing pool cues etc. I took my bow and kindly thanked them all for their time and went out the kitchen.

RegularKarate

I would say that you must have been in some kind of geek bar if they all got that passionate about The Matrix, however, I have been in a very similar situation where complete strangers were attacking me, trying to tell me that Kevin Spacey's character in Seven did not get what he wanted in the end... did not win, did not, in fact, finish his killing spree.

I had to leave.

AK

Quote from: Pas RapportThis is more cute than stupid ;-)

It's between cute and stupid.... just SILLY

But still pissed me off the fact she talked, went out during the movie and just started to pay attention after the rain of frogs ...

Gamblour.

I've heard too many people say Fight Club is the best movie ever made and that Kevin Smith is a good director...but besides those two common stupid remarks, I'd say the dumbest I heard was this guy talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey:

A: Have you seen 2001?
B: That movie with Leslie Nielson? (Referring to 2001: A Space Travesty)
A: No man, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
B: Haven't seen it.
A: It's good, Carl Sagan wrote it.

I really wanted to be "that guy" and go and yell at him "Arthur C. Clarke!!! Sweet Jesus!" But I decided people will be people and, that is, very ignorant of everything.
WWPTAD?

ono

Quote from: GamblorI've heard too many people say Fight Club is the best movie ever made...
It is one of them.  No, seriously.

Quote from: Gamblor...and that Kevin Smith is a good director...

So now cineasts aren't allowed to have a laugh?  *makes mental note*

Alright, alright, I'll give you "not a good director," but Smith never claimed to be one.  He's just a guy who likes making fun movies.  And that he's really funny himself doesn't hurt, either.

cine

It really, really bugs me when people don't like movies because they 'don't get them.' This can apply to people of all ages. And it just bugs me. Many adults don't like Tarantino and the majority of people in their teens and 20's (i think i can say the majority of people) don't like Altman. And of course, people's ignorance to foreign cinema. The guy I knew who said "Foreign people can't make good movies".. ah... I hate movie consumers.

Pas

Hahaha this is turning into a snob fest ... not that I have something against that.

Fight Club is a good movie, Kevin Smith has made some good movies, people may not like Tarantino, Altman has had his ups and downs, it don't matter if you don't know who wrote 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I mean, people are entitled to their opinion. But stupid stuff is much more like : "Eddy Murphy should have gotten an Oscar nomination for Daddy Day Care" or "Hitchcock never made a good suspense like we have today, did you see Murder by Numbers ?!"

Anyway

cine

I really should've clarified on the Tarantino/Altman thing (I sort of explained the Tarantino thing before so its a bit redundant), but what bugs me is that I know a lot of people who turned off Pulp Fiction less than a 20 minutes into it for not getting it.. and I know way too many people that didn't get Gosford Park.. and I still don't understand whats hard to get about that one. I mean Gosford Park is in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER and we find out what happens! Why do I know so many people who don't get it?!  Ahh, I wish murder was legal. We'd clean up a good number of morons. :wink:

Pas

ono

Quote from: CinephileI mean Gosford Park is in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER and we find out what happens! Why do I know so many people who don't get it?!
Actually, Altman himself says the murder is never actually solved.  *shrug*

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Fight Club is a good movie, Kevin Smith has made some good movies, people may not like Tarantino, Altman has had his ups and downs, it don't matter if you don't know who wrote 2001 A Space Odyssey.

You're right, Fight Club is a good movie, Kevin Smith has made some ehh ok movies, but when people obsessively glorify either of them, it tends to reveal (to me) a little bit more of their personality, and that I should stay away from them (simply because I understand why they are, but that's a whole other topic). And I'm not saying if you like Fight Club or Kevin Smith that you're stupid, or blah, whatever. I'm just saying they're not the best things since sliced bread.

And it does matter if you don't know who wrote 2001 A Space Odyssey, if you are in the conversation that took place. It's ok for people to say "I don't know" or "I'm not sure who wrote it" but people never do and when someone says Carl Sagan wrote 2001 and is too afraid to show how ignorant they really are, then they're stupid and should stop talking about 2001. It's not snobbery, it's a philosophy that can be applied to all forms of communication. I guess it might be one of those "you had to be there" moments.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Oh, here's a good one. Two of my friends saw the Italian Job (which I thought was a nice, kick-ass no brainer) and in some sort of pathetic attempt to critically analyze a movie, they came to the conclusion that they didn't like it because " it had too much confrontation," by that meaning that the characters interacted with Edward Norton too much. Everytime they say that I wanna slap em. It's the Italian Job, who gives a shit? Just watch it and have fun.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: GamblorAnd it does matter if you don't know who wrote 2001 A Space Odyssey, if you are in the conversation that took place. It's ok for people to say "I don't know" or "I'm not sure who wrote it" but people never do and when someone says Carl Sagan wrote 2001 and is too afraid to show how ignorant they really are, then they're stupid and should stop talking about 2001. It's not snobbery, it's a philosophy that can be applied to all forms of communication. I guess it might be one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Maybe it was a Freudian slip on theat person's part. Anyway, instead of rolling your eyes and throwing your hands up in frustration, what's wrong with politely correcting the person? Saying, "It was Arthur Clark that wrote "2001"? "Contact" was based on Carl Sagan's work"? I've had great conversations with people who were "wrong" about certain movies and actors. They were interested and wanted to know more.

And it is "snobbery" when condesention towards the 'ignorant' person is involved.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

Here's what they should do. They should put imdb.com up on those wireless internet palm pilot/cellphones things they have now, so people can just look those kinda things up. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***