Confirmed PDL DVD Info

Started by depooter, March 27, 2003, 04:09:00 PM

bonanzataz

Tech Geek mode...

I just hope it doesn't look like the Magnolia DVD. Did anybody else think the higher bitrate made it look more... grainy? Everything is too fine and it looks weird on my TV.

Also, if he really wanted a commentary track he wouldn't have to forfeit much. A commentary track on a 90 minute movie is about 100 megs. 100 megs on a 9.4 gigabyte DVD isn't anything. Though, I didn't miss a commentary track on the Magnolia DVD, so I guess I won't miss much on this one... even if I was looking forward to hearing Paul and Adam rap for an hour and a half.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

sphinx

higher bitrate doesn't make things look grainier at all, it was probably just the film stock used.  the magnolia transfer is actually quite flawless, i usually don't notice grain at all.

and note that DTS tracks take up a shiiitttlooaaadd of space on a dvd, not to mention the dolby 6.1 track that would probably take up twice as much.  and if there was going to be any commentaries at all, you can bet there'd be more than one.

bonanzataz

yeah, but I only watch magnolia when it's completely dark and on my big screen tv set, so everything is much more apparent.

i wish i had a dts system so i could at least enjoy the shiiiiitload of space being taken up.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

sphinx

dvdfile transfer review

Presented in anamorphic widescreen in the theatrical 2.40:1 theatrical aspect ratio, New Line has delivered another very fine transfer of potentially problematic material. Creating a slightly surreal, stylized look for the film, Director Of Photography John Elswit employed a variety of filters and processing tricks to give the film an oversaturated and highly contrasted appearance. For a video transfer to achieve such a delicate balance between such extremes in color and light, hours and hours of telecine tweaking are inevitably required. The transfer is up to the task, presenting a bold, clean and clear image.

The colors are vibrant and very rich, but yet stay just a millimeter below becoming oversaturated, and while contrast is high, shadow delineation surprisingly never drifts off into mushy nothingness. This film is both bright yet dark, with the deepest blacks you can imagine, yet contains many "hot spots" of slightly blown-out whites and edges. It is a tribute to New Line's work that there is no overemployment of edge enhancement nor "noise reduction" techniques to try and soften the image or make it more "normal" looking. While occasionally I spotted a few instances where textures and subtle visual information seemed to lose definition, this is a very solid transfer, with nary a compression artifact to be found. Elswit and Anderson took a risk here by trying to achieve a realistic yet stylized look, and this transfer delivers their vision quite beautifully.

bonanzataz

I'm just saying to me it looks SLIGHTLY digitized (at least it's slight and not a complete piece of shit) and I wish I could have seen it in theaters.

Any screenings in the NY area any time soon?

BTW, Sphinx linx dinx

Duck Sauce

Maybe its your DVD player, bad mpeg decoder, get yourself a Panasonic:

-RP82 (if you can find it, which you cant)
-CP72
-XP30
-XP50

And some good component cables

Mellow Fellow

Honestly fellas. PTA is the coolest fucking director since Kubrick, not to mention the best, so quit pissing and bitching about no commentary. Obviously we all dug the Boogie Nights one, but I think we can rest assured that PTA knows exactly what the fuck he's doing when it comes to making movies and their respective DVD's.
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

sickfins

once again, i call my claim to fame

iceiceiceiceice tee, pue-bee; i'm jonesin' for the missus, where is'shis?  you cannot tell, you do not know

Newtron

Sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk fins.

Mellow Fellow ain't look so mellow.

Ernie

Quote from: Mellow FellowHonestly fellas. PTA is the coolest fucking director since Kubrick, not to mention the best, so quit pissing and bitching about no commentary. Obviously we all dug the Boogie Nights one, but I think we can rest assured that PTA knows exactly what the fuck he's doing when it comes to making movies and their respective DVD's.

Yeah, that's the other thing that I reminded myself of after getting pissed about the lack of a commentary/documentary and all that...PTA is heavily involved in the making of the DVD. I know he'll make it awesome.

Jon

Quote from: sphinxdvdfile transfer review

Presented in anamorphic widescreen in the theatrical 2.40:1 theatrical aspect ratio, New Line has delivered another very fine transfer of potentially problematic material. Creating a slightly surreal, stylized look for the film, Director Of Photography John Elswit employed a variety of filters and processing tricks to give the film an oversaturated and highly contrasted appearance.

Isn't his name Robert Elswit and didn't he talk about PTA not wanting to use filters at all during filming?

Oh.

MacGuffin

According to DVDFile:

As punch-drunk as its title are the number of times Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has rescheduled P.T. Anderson's latest for DVD release. Back on for a June 24th street date, Punch-Drunk Love will now get the Superbit Deluxe treatment, all for a newly, slightly higher $28.95 retail price. This two-disc set comes complete with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX and DTS 5.1 audio tracks, and plenty of extras on the second disc: "Blossoms & Blood," a 12-minute featurette which includes alternate takes, Jeremy Blake artwork and the Jon Brion music video for "Here We Go," 2 deleted scenes, the "Mattress Man Commercial," 3 theatrical trailers and 12 "Scopitones" Internet trailers, and additional artwork by Jeremy Blake. At the request of Mr. PT Anderson himself there will be no other release of the film at a later date - this is it. Let's hope this marks the beginning of a trend...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin$28.95 retail price

:cry:

I do what I must.

Being a PTA fanboy comes with many burdens.

bonanzataz

I downloaded a copy of PDL off Kazaa. A dvd screener rip. I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I felt like the magic of waiting was gone. I skipped around a few times, excited that it was even on my computer, watching the parts that I enjoy the best. I think I inadvertently killed my best friend. What have I done?! I WILL WAIT FOR THE SUPERBIT DVD RELEASE!

atticus jones

re:tail

you can try to buy a piece but you will never own it

re: create

you can try to relive it but you have never lived it

re: d

homes was the most colorful cat

buy buy children
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose