Golden Globes tonight!

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 25, 2004, 06:10:52 PM

modage

yeah but she made a point to thank her when she won best picture, cause i think she realized she forgot when she won best screenplay.  

and is it just me, or does bill murray when he has white hair and a beard like that (in his wes anderson mode), not even RESEMBLE the bill murray from ghostbusters?  or stripes?  or groundhog day?  when i am watching this himm

it doesnt even REMIND me of the other guy. i look at him totally differently.

also, i loved it when he said somtehing like "i'm not even going to thank anyone at focus and universal because right now so many of them are scrambling to take credit for this."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

I thought it was a class act for Peter Jackson to recognize his fellow nominees. Both Eastwood and Coppola put out tremendous films and he had to know that he couldn't be denied this year for "Rings" even if the other two films might have been bigger achievements. For the Golden Globes or the Academy Awards to snub him three years in a row would be pretty aweful given the magnitude of all three films.

That should raise a discussion. Should "Return of the King" have been considered for it's own merit, or did Jackson deserve the Oscar as a sort of "completion of three films" Best Director award?

Discuss!

modage

from EW...
Unlike other winners, ''Lost in Translation'''s Bill Murray did not credit a supportive Hollywood retinue. ''I fired my agents a couple of months ago,'' he began. ''My physical trainer killed himself. I would thank the people at Universal and Focus Features, except there's so many people trying to take credit for this I wouldn't know where to begin.'' Murray tweaked the conventional wisdom that awards voters give short shrift to comic actors (as they did when he went unrewarded for ''Rushmore''). The ironic comic urged voters not to overlook the dramatic actors because ''without them, where would our war, our misery, and our psychological dramas come from?''
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Myxomatosis
That should raise a discussion. Should "Return of the King" have been considered for it's own merit, or did Jackson deserve the Oscar as a sort of "completion of three films" Best Director award?

Discuss!

Much like last year and Scorsese and Gangs of New York (film vs his career).  I think the Oscars have to go with just the present movie, in fact only if Return of the King can stand on it's own (without the other movies having to be viewed) should it win.  Best Picture, picture is singular.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

ordinarily i would agree with you, but since this was filmed AS one movie but released as three, i think he should be rewarded for the accomplishment.

SoNowThen

Agreed.

And as to last year, well, Marty WAS the best director, so the GG was pure justice there.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

analogzombie

i think in time jackson will recieve some sort of superior achievement award for the trilogy. Personally I think these movies are influencing the decisions to honor Return of the King, it's almost unfair b/c nothing can compete with the achievementof the trilogy as a whole. And for my money Two towers is a better film than ROTK. I am looking forward to the super extended cut, but I definately think ROTK may be getting a lot of its attention from the shadow of all 3 films and not on its own.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02ordinarily i would agree with you, but since this was filmed AS one movie but released as three, i think he should be rewarded for the accomplishment.

but it wasn't released as one movie.  The release is what determines what makes a film or picture (atleast in the academy's eyes).

SoNowThen

I pretty much figured LOTR would get everything this year, as far back as when FOTR came out. It just makes Academy sense...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

Jack's the man. I haven't seen SGTG yet, but the "old age pensioner's thursday" crowd I saw Cold Mountain with were lapping up the trailer. I loved that!
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: themodernage02ordinarily i would agree with you, but since this was filmed AS one movie but released as three, i think he should be rewarded for the accomplishment.
but it wasn't released as one movie.  The release is what determines what makes a film or picture (atleast in the academy's eyes).
right and picture by picture probably should be judged that way, but as far as director Jackson should be honored definitely.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTR
right and picture by picture probably should be judged that way, but as far as director Jackson should be honored definitely.

I'll go with that.  Although I felt Eastwood was more skillful with Mystic River.

Finn

I thought either Eastwood or Coppola should have won for best director. LOTR shouldn't have won for best director or picture. The last one was good, but not great. But I'm glad Bill and Tim got their awards.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

"Ah, you can all relax I fired my agents a couple months ago... My trainer, my physical trainer, killed himself... And I would thank the people at Universal and Focus except there are so many people trying to take credit for this I wouldn't know where to begin... I'd like to thank my wife for taking care of our home and our children all the time I'm away. And I'm away right now on a death ship called "The Life Aquatic" still shooting in Rome, Italy. They're getting it on the feed over there tonight... I'd also like to thank Sofia Coppola for writing a film that was so good that every actor in this room says, "That lucky son-of-a-bitch. It could've been me up there with that damn thing." Thank you... I'd also like to acknowledge the other distinguished members of the Musical and Comedy catagory that I'm in this evening, but I think it's too often we forget our brothers on the other side of the aisle -- the Dramatic Actors. And I'd just like to say without them where would our war, our misery and our psychological dramas come from? Let's not forget them tonight. Thank you very much."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

This is a tough one... I think maybe the voters just assumed that LOTR would sweep the bpard for the final part, and so whilst it was nominated each year, when it came to actually voting for the winners, voters put it off planning to let it win this year. But then, there might be better movies nominated this year... we'll know within, what, 13 or so hours...?

Peronally anything would have been better than Chicago winning last year. Still undecided whether TT or ROTF was best though.

And take the Oscars with a large pinch of salt. Like the great and wise Bill Murray said - it's just politics and popularity. Though some time the deserved does win...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.