School of Rock

Started by SHAFTR, September 26, 2003, 12:32:58 PM

SHAFTR

I saw this yesterday and I was very impressed.  It isn't deep by any means but it is a well made fun movie.  Jack Black is pefect and so is Joan Cusack (who I normally dislike).  It is a very well made feel good comedy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

My roomate got free passes to see this... should we actually go?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I'm thinking, no,  stay home and watch a Criterion DVD...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Teen Wolf

Sounds like a good date movie.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm thinking, no,  stay home and watch a Criterion DVD...

What if Criterion releases School of Rock?

SoNowThen

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: SoNowThenI'm thinking, no,  stay home and watch a Criterion DVD...

What if Criterion releases School of Rock?

Well, I'll have to wait for a year then, so I can't very well watch it this weekend, can I?

Lol, tho.... think of the special features.... Jack Black on Charlie Rose or something...

Ghostboy

I think it's a good family film. I can't really think of any reason it's actually rated PG-13, in fact. Jack Black works really well with the kids. I wasn't completely satisfied, though...I think it's entirely dependent on Blacks' performance, and he delivers, but without him the bad script would be far more apparent. But I still recommend it.

My full review.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenMy roomate got free passes to see this... should we actually go?

If you like rock or if you like Jack Black, it is.  It's fun to hear the classic rock music, along with classic rock concert clips along with classic rock album titles and classic rock impersonations.

Alethia

i was astonished when i heard rick linklater's name attached to this - but i was pleasantly surprised when i saw it.  it's fun.  nothing more, nothing less.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenMy roomate got free passes to see this...should we actually go?

Quote from: Ghostboy... it's entirely dependant on Black's performance...

Quote from: NEON MERCURY just now in answer to SoNowThen's questionNo...

Finn

I just saw a sneak preview of this, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a good movie, a little Jack Black goes a long way for me.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

NEON MERCURY

.man..i just caught the tv spot for this... :roll:

correct me if i am wrong but it looks like a cheesy kids film about a slacker that teaches some kids how to fullfill their dreams of playing in a band..

and as far as jack goes Jesus' Son is his only good role....and fidelity was okay..

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.man..i just caught the tv spot for this... :roll:

correct me if i am wrong but it looks like a cheesy kids film about a slacker that teaches some kids how to fullfill their dreams of playing in a band..

no it's a cheesy kids film about a slacker who wants to fulfill his dreams of playing in a band and teaches kids about the joys of rock

but it is fun.

ShanghaiOrange

Roger Ebert gave this movie 3 and a half fucking stars. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)