The Start / Finish / Write / Read Tab

Started by The Silver Bullet, April 06, 2003, 08:06:48 AM

The Silver Bullet

This is a thread designed so as that people know what other people are writing and reading in terms of screenplays. Basically, anytime you start something, you come in, say what it is about, what you think you'll call it, you know; just let us know you're starting. When you finish, you log that. Whenever you make a breakthrough or something, you add that to the tab, and whenever you read anything [be it novel, article, screenplay, whatever] that inspires you in some way [or not at all, as it were] tab that too. Or whatever, you know. Knock yourselves out.

FINISHED

The Ides
Stage play.
"All the monologues are yours. You have the most lines in every scene. You talk about me behind my back. You get both the girls!"

Just a one act play about a paranoid teenager who confesses all of his sins, loves, desires, loathes and whatnot, eventually revealing in a giant confession that he is a character based on the writer and that the entire thing is a biased and cowardly attack on actual people.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pedro

Started
Picks
Screenplay (feature length)
It's a subject I've wanted to tackle for years: the sea of emotions that accompany adolescence.  I hope this won't turn into another teen-angst film.  I'm trying to capture pain, suffering, along with joy, and hope.  We'll just see how it turns out...

chainsmoking insomniac

Be careful Pedro. I think that's one of the most compelling subjects one can write about--but if not done properly, it can be trite and cliched.  
I've been pondering writing a screenplay based on a group of early '90s teenagers (grunge rockers) living in suburbia, experiencing love, desire and drugs, with an organic soundtrack of great early '90s alt-rock.....but everytime I sit down to write the damn thing, I always fall back on cliched plots, characters, etc. I think I want to center it around a garage band, but I can't get past my own misgivings about the project.  Any suggestions?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

xerxes

STARTED

Aria
Screenplay (feature)

Four short stories, each taking place over the course of a day.  One part can be found here:

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1002

Ernie

FINISHED

Florida Keys
screenplay (short)
inspired by Magnolia, Do the Right Thing, The Graduate, PDL, Rushmore

Second short film I've ever written, first one I'll direct and act in. About a pizza delivery boy named Mickey that delivers his 100th pizza to a man who's car he once got caught keying in the past. Plan to shoot it over spring break and send it into a student film festival in june. I like it a lot but it's very immature.

Good luck w/ that film your making Pedro. That's definitely an ambitious idea...trying to make a teen movie that's actually good and realistic. It sound pretty epic, that's cool...it would take a long film to cover the entire "sea of emotions" that comes with growing up I think. I've always wanted to do something like that that as my first feature film in the future. It's very intimidating. I want to get all that high school bitterness out and make my first film very personal so I can get all that out and get it out of the way and have a nice career.

QuoteAny suggestions?

punchdrunk: that idea sounds cool too. I guess I don't know what cliches your falling into. So I don't really know how to help you, wish I could...I usually just put it away for awhile and rest and sleep on it for awhile until I feel like really dedicating my mind to it again. I did that a lot with this thing I'm doing. I do that all the time. That's the only decent advice I can give you.

Pedro

Quote from: ebeaman69
Good luck w/ that film your making Pedro. That's definitely an ambitious idea...trying to make a teen movie that's actually good and realistic. It sound pretty epic, that's cool...it would take a long film to cover the entire "sea of emotions" that comes with growing up I think.

Yeah it would have to be seriously long...that's my main problem right now...maybe like a miniseries?  No that's crazy.  I guess this will just have to be long then.  Wow...this is a lot harder than I originally expected.

The Silver Bullet

The piece I just finished is sort of like that, although it focuses mainly on the fear that I feel dictates teenage life. It is currently up on ZOETROPE[/size] for anyone who may be intersted in reading it.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]