Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith

Started by modage, June 24, 2003, 06:14:37 PM

Myxo

QuoteHope springs eternal, Sprague said. After the last two "Star Wars" films, "We're all a little beaten down," she said. "But this one could be it!"

Hoping against hope..

MacGuffin

Final 'Star Wars' Episode Is Reportedly Rated PG-13

Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith, starring Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman, has become the first film in the franchise to be given a PG-13 rating by the Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration, several websites reported Saturday, citing sources with the MPAA. According to the reports, the film received a PG-13 rather than the usual PG for the other Star Wars episodes because of "sci-fi violence and some intense images." The film is set for release on Thursday, May 19.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wookiees and Cut Scenes
He's Chewbacca, but not as you know him.

Did you know that Wookiees change in color as they grow older? (Okay, so some of you hardcore Star Wars know-it-alls probably did know that!) The topic came up in a Sci Fi Wire interview with Peter Mayhew, the tall, lanky actor who is reprising his role as the furry alien in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Mayhew explained that a new Chewbacca costume had to be designed for him, because as a much younger Wookiee, his fur is lighter in color. As Mayhew put it, "he's like a puppy that is one color and changes as he gets older."

Once in the suit, however, it felt just like old times again. "...Once I get the costume on, that character comes out. There are no two ways about it. Chewie is one of those characters that never said a line throughout the whole of the three movies, and this one just finishes that off nicely. Chewie is a rock star anyway. He's one of those characters that you either love him or hate him, and most people love him."

And in other news, even though Revenge of the Sith isn't out for more than another month, there's already a list of scenes that were written and even filmed for the movie but eliminated during the editing process. The information is in the new book The Making of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and the relevant bits are online at TheForce.net.

The scenes mentioned include some spoilers, so don't keep reading unless you don't mind a few!

Some of the more interesting scenes listed include:

• General Grievous killing Shaak Ti, the Jedi who fought him so bravely in Clone Wars
• Yoda, Obi-Wan and Mace discussing the Dark Side in Yoda's quarters.
• Mace discussing with Yoda his plans to arrest Chancellor Palpatine while on Kashyyyk.
• Padme presenting a petition from the Senators to Palpatine.
• Yoda and Chewbacca ambushing an AT-ST.
• Yoda landing on Dagobah.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

George Lucas to Appear on 'The O.C.'

The force is with "The O.C." George Lucas will guest star as himself on the May 12 episode, the Fox network announced Tuesday. The "Star Wars" creator will express interest in the graphic novel of the main character, Seth Cohen (Adam Brody).

Brody's character, an avid "Star Wars" fan, frequently has the good fortune of meeting his heroes. His favorite band, Death Cab for Cutie, recently played on the show.

Earlier this season, the trailer for "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" premiered during the program. The final installment of the "Star Wars" saga will open in theaters on May 19.

Fox recently announced that "The O.C." will return for a third season. It airs Thursdays (8 p.m. EST).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Star Wars" Downsizes

Got the Boba Fett blues now that George Lucas has wrapped his final Star Wars movie installment?

Fret not, Force faithful, there is a new hope.

Jedi master George turned up over the weekend at Celebration III, a mega-gathering of 30,000 Star Wars geeks in Indianapolis, where he announced plans to move his space opera to the small screen.

For his first appearance at a Star Wars convention in 17 years, Lucas made a big splash. During a Q&A session, he announced that he is going to produce a 3-D animated action series expanding on the Cartoon Network's Emmy-winning Clone Wars. Then he dropped a bigger bomb, confirming a live-action Star Wars spinoff series is in the works.

Does that mean we'll get to see Darth Vader duking it out with the Donald on the next Apprentice?

Not quite.

According to Lucas, both shows will take place during the period between the end of Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith and the original Star Wars (aka Episode IV--A New Hope), when the Emperor became all-powerful and started hunting the Jedi down.

Lucas said the live-action series is the more ambitious undertaking, attempting to translate the magic of the Star Wars universe to the small screen via supporting characters that fans have only briefly come to know from the movies. The filmmaker added that the show will also be similar in tone to the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, the TV adventures inspired by his other mega-franchise.

"We're probably not going to start that for about a year," Lucas said. "Like on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, we want to write all the stories for the entire first season all at once. I'm going to get it started and hire the showrunners and all of that, then I'll probably step away."

It is not known whether the two TV projects were the basis of a highly publicized Internet rumor a few months back speculating on future Star Wars adventures.

Lucasfilm has yet to make an official announcement on the new shows. The company doesn't even have a deal in place with a network to air either series because it's been marshalling all its minions for the hugely anticipated May 19 release of Revenge of the Sith, the final prequel.

This isn't the first occasion Lucas has packaged Star Wars for the boob tube. First, there was the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special in 1978, which Lucas has disowned. Then, after 1983's Return of the Jedi, he hatched two made-for-TV spinoffs, 1984's The Ewok Adventure and 1985's Ewoks: Battle for Endor, both of which were largely derided by Star Wars fans for focusing on the relatively tame deeds of the furry critters at the expense of action-packed escapades of cooler characters.

Lucas' infatuation with Ewoks continued with the Ewoks cartoon series, which was paired with another kiddie-themed 'toon, Droids, focusing on the mishaps of R2-D2 and C-3PO. Those shows ran from 1985 to '87.

It's expected that the new standalone animated series will showcase the same kind of epic battles as seen in the more action-oriented Clone Wars series of shorts--with the added benefit of adding potential new Star Wars enthusiasts and giving merchandisers the chance to sell even more action figures.

In some related Star Wars news, premiere fan site TheForce.net quotes Lucas telling people backstage at last weekend's confab that he's prepping yet another box set--this one will include all six films, plus a possible seventh disc featuring deleted scenes from the original trilogy. He says he doesn't expect to make any more tweaks to the films as he did with the last box set.

And lest you think you've seen the last of Darth and the gang on the big screen, think again. Lucas appeared at last month's ShoWest exhibitors convention in Las Vegas and announced that, starting in 2007, he'll rerelease all six episodes, beginning with the original Star Wars, in IMAX digital 3-D.

Meanwhile, the typically media-shy filmmaker is gearing up to make his own splash on the small screen. He's scheduled to guest star as himself on the May 12 episode of Fox's The O.C.. The plot: Lucas becomes interested in a graphic novel written by Seth (Adam Brody) and invites him to dinner to offer some sage advice. Seth is forced to choose between taking Summer to the prom or hanging with George.

Let's hope the Force will be with him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffinThe filmmaker added that the show will also be similar in tone to the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, the TV adventures inspired by his other mega-franchise.

That's a good idea.

Get inspiration from previous average work.

MacGuffin

Bai Ling Visits 'Star Wars' Fans

Good things come to those who wait ... in line, even at the wrong theater.

Just ask the dozens of fans who've been camped out for weeks on Hollywood Boulevard, outside the legendary Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where previous "Star Wars" movies have played.

The fans expected the new "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" to follow suit. But no. Instead, the film's big Hollywood engagement was booked at a competing theater about a mile away.

Still, the fans stayed put, citing both tradition and a safer neighborhood.

There were more than a few snickers at their expense. But on Wednesday morning, the squatters seemed to get the last laugh following a visit by Asian cinema superstar Bai Ling, who plays Senator Bana Breemu in "Episode III," which opens worldwide on May 19.

The visit was sponsored by Netflix, the online DVD-rental service, which provided those in line with portable DVD players and movies. The company is joining the fans' efforts to raise money for the Starlight children's charity, and is donating $10 for each new subscriber using the code "STARLIGHT" between now and "Episode III'"s release.

"We're here, basically, to give people love and compassion, to support people's dreams and share the dreams through 'Star Wars,'" Ling told Associated Press Television News.

The actress hugged many of the "Star Wars" fans, posed for photos and gave out autographs to all who asked. She said her appearance last weekend at the mammoth "Star Wars" convention in Indianapolis had her all fired up for the franchise.

"People were waiting in lines in the rain in the cold in the snow, just to see ("Star Wars" creator) George Lucas," she reported. "I was moved by how one person's dream can really change the world."

The actress stayed vague about her "Episode III" appearance, but made no secret of her awe over being a part of the "Star Wars" family.

"I feel strange because all the 'Star Wars' characters and George Lucas have sort of reduced the universe," she said. "I just feel very lucky to experience this part of history and a culture phenomenon."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

It's about time for my SW fan factor to begin climbing sky high. My excitement is growing exponentially now. I'm even listening to all the soundtracks to the other movies. I even felt like popping in the Phantom Menace DVD this evening (I didn't act on those feelings, however).

My plan was to go see the Episode III at midnight the night before it opens, as I've always done before. I wanted to see it in DLP. However, the DLP screens in Dallas sold out really fast. So now the plan is to go see it at midnight at a regular theater, spend the next six hours geeking out about it, and then go see it at 8:30am the next morning at the digital theater. I figure that at this point, there's no real way it can disappoint me - and even if it does, the disappointment won't set in for like a week or so. And since this is the last time this sort of thing will probably ever happen, it's almost mandatory to make a huge deal out of it. At least to me. Best case scenario is that I'll want to see it a third time the following afternoon/evening.

So I've bought my tickets, and the countdown begins.

Oh wait, it's not May 1 yet. The countdown begins on Sunday.

Chrisdarko

Everybody Cross your fingers on this one maybe it won't be a let down.

wish wish wish

Although you put wish in one hand and shit in the other see which one feels up first :shock:

Stefen

Im pumped. These trailers and previews have got me really excited. I mean, it will probably suck, but the action and duels will be tops. That's all I want.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyIt's about time for my SW fan factor to begin climbing sky high. My excitement is growing exponentially now. I'm even listening to all the soundtracks to the other movies. I even felt like popping in the Phantom Menace DVD this evening (I didn't act on those feelings, however).

My plan was to go see the Episode III at midnight the night before it opens, as I've always done before. I wanted to see it in DLP. However, the DLP screens in Dallas sold out really fast. So now the plan is to go see it at midnight at a regular theater, spend the next six hours geeking out about it, and then go see it at 8:30am the next morning at the digital theater. I figure that at this point, there's no real way it can disappoint me - and even if it does, the disappointment won't set in for like a week or so. And since this is the last time this sort of thing will probably ever happen, it's almost mandatory to make a huge deal out of it. At least to me. Best case scenario is that I'll want to see it a third time the following afternoon/evening.

So I've bought my tickets, and the countdown begins.

Oh wait, it's not May 1 yet. The countdown begins on Sunday.
this is why i love you.   :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

I heard Weak2ndAct didn't like Magnolia, so I know Episode III will be great.

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

i cant wait for this film.   i read kevin smiths review of the film and he said it was great/fantastic.   and as most of you know kevin smith is a geek.  so, he knows this kind of stuff.   all of the stars war faithful can rest assured it will indeed kick ass.  like a saliva bubble on the back of uncle owen's head....roll

but i am gearing up by watching the  IV, V VII then watching I, II.  then by that time i should be in theatres on Sunday to watch the new one.   i actaully like the first two  so there is no way this could let me down.

after studying the first film i also realized that darth maul is the coolest character in the series thus far.........

MacGuffin

Lucas Worries 'Sith' Will Flop

With the final Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith, not so far, far away, Darth Vader has landed on the cover of Time magazine, which assures fans that they will be breathing a lot easier than Vader when the movie opens on May 19. Critic Richard Corliss forecasts that there will be a "a sigh of relief that Lucas found the skill to make a grave and vigorous popular entertainment, a picture that regains and sustains the filmic Force he dreamed up." For his part, George Lucas tells Time that, while he believes "it turned out as well as I could have hoped," he worries that audiences may not think so. "I have a feeling this one is going to be sort of like the last one in terms of some people like it, some people hate it. And like everyone who makes movies, I'm always convinced the next one will be a flop. So right now I'm thinking it probably won't make any money and will be considered a failure."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.slate.com/id/2117760/

May the Force Be With You, and You, and You ...
Why fans make better Star Wars movies than George Lucas.
By Clive Thompson
Posted Friday, April 29, 2005, at 1:11 PM PT

Good news, Star Wars buffs. There's a new movie out this spring—and it isn't by George Lucas. The 40-minute, fan-made Star Wars Revelations cost a mere $20,000. It's also just as good as—and often quite better than—the cringe-inducing Star Wars movies of recent years. Indeed, it's so artistically successful that it suggests a radical idea: Maybe Lucas should step aside and let the fans take over.

Our most cherished sci-fi franchises are in a creative trough. Lucas' movies have spiraled into unwatchability; Paramount has so exhausted its ideas for Star Trek that it's folding up its tent and going home. The fans, in contrast, still give a damn: The director of Revelations, Shane Felux, is clearly more knowledgeable about the strengths and weaknesses of the material than Lucas himself. Felux's movie retains the funky vibe of the original Star Wars, down to the kitschy, '70s-style wipes, the obligatory scene in an alien bar, and Darth Vader's throat-choking technique. Better yet, it jettisons Lucas' most loathed innovations—neither Jar Jar Binks nor any Ewoks make an appearance. Fans may be pointy-headed and obsessed with useless trivia, but they have excellent bullshit detectors.

The fans can also give Industrial Light and Magic a run for its money. When it comes to special effects, Revelations is nothing short of astonishing. Early on, there's a jaw-dropping chase scene in which the heroes' ship darts like a nimble fish through a cluttered space-yard, a fleet of TIE fighters in hot pursuit. Later, a stunning attack on an Empire Destroyer left me laughing in sheer surprise.

How could Felux produce scenes this good? Because desktop animation and editing programs like Bryce and Adobe Premiere Pro allow anyone to blow up a CGI spacecraft on a garage-band budget. What's more, Felux relied on the techniques of open-source design. Hundreds of people worldwide offered small bits of work, purely for the love of the project—and a chance to brag about their contribution. Felux wrangled free labor from over 30 CGI artists, including one supremely talented 16-year-old kid who lists his occupation as "being awesome." For live-action shots, Felux convinced unpaid actors and crew members to drive out to weekend shoots. When he needed uniforms for Storm Troopers and X-wing pilots, he borrowed them from fans who made their own.

Pretty freakin' awesome FX
Fan-made art is also easier to distribute than ever before. The proliferation of broadband in the past few years means that a movie doesn't have to open on 3,000 screens to get seen by millions of eyeballs. In only one week online, an estimated 1,000,000 people have already downloaded Star Wars Revelations. You can get the movie for free from various online sites or by using BitTorrent—don't worry, it's a legal download. BitTorrent in particular is so efficient in its use of bandwidth that I downloaded the entire 252-megabyte movie in around 12 minutes. (That's probably because 99 percent of the geeks who are into fan-created sci-fi are using BitTorrent.)

George Lucas has always encouraged Star Wars­-inspired fan movies, so long as the wannabe auteurs didn't try to make a profit. (That's the case with Felux—he isn't selling his movie or any associated merchandise.) Lucas should do more, though. Once he stops polluting the world with prequels, he should slap a liberal "Creative Commons" copyright license on the Star Wars franchise. That would explicitly allow any fan to remix an existing movie, or create a new one in homage, so long as there's no profit involved. Everyone wins: Movies like Revelations keep the fan base alive, and Lucas can continue selling figurines until the sun explodes.

This open-source method won't work for every defunct cultural property. Fan art works best when it feeds off of dweeby universes that are jam-packed with characters. It would be easy to create amateur, offshoot films based on Lord of the Rings or The Twilight Zone, and possibly even a show with a revolving-door cast like Law & Order. Shows or movies that rely on a single, charismatic actor—like Sarah Michelle Gellar in Buffy the Vampire Slayer—aren't as easy to replicate. But Buffy fans could simply create spinoffs, the way Buffy's creator churned out a series of comic books starring other teen slayers.

All fan-created movies still face two big stumbling blocks: scriptwriting and acting. Even something as polished as Revelations is occasionally marred by a boilerplate plot and wooden acting. (Though that might make the homage all the more authentic given the hollowness of Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in Attack of the Clones.) The amateurs, it seems, cannot escape the artistic trap that ensnares big-budget sci-fi auteurs. When you fall in love with CGI effects, sometimes you forget how to deal with those quaint, un-animated properties we call "actors."

Clive Thompson writes about gaming and technology for Slate.
Stills courtesy Shane Felux. All rights reserved.

Stefen

So im playing episode 3 on xbox, man, its really really fun. If you ever wanted a game where you just kick ass with a lightsaber this is the one. I guess it follows the movie and suprisingly has alot of footage from the film. Lots of spoilers but I don't care. Im stuck fighting count dooku as anakin, I keep getting my ass kicked and obi wan got knocked out. The chancellor is just watching us fight, it's really creepy. Lots of fun though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: StefenIf you ever wanted a game where you just kick ass with a lightsaber this is the one.

I always wanted that... and got screwed buying all the other StarWars game that have really not much to do with the movies... but I guess they are still fun

I get it if its out for PS2 or PC, but after I watch the film