So Far This Year, Vol. 4

Started by MacGuffin, June 27, 2006, 11:43:28 AM

Gamblour.

Little Miss Sunshine is on there.
WWPTAD?

godardian

Army of Shadows and L'Enfant for me. I've yet to see Little Miss Sunshine or An Inconvenient Truth yet, but I'm on my way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

matt35mm

... pretty much in order...

A Scanner Darkly
United 93
Nanny McPhee
An Inconvenient Truth
Time To Rest (Le Temps Qui Reste)

I also enjoyed (in no order)...
The Devil Wears Prada
Little Miss Sunshine
The Descent
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
A Prairie Home Companion
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Brick (this is 2006, right?)
Manderlay
The Notorious Bettie Page
L'Enfant
Inside Man
Tristram Shandy: A Cock And Bull Story
The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada
The Untold Story of Louis Emmet Till
The Proposition

Everything else I saw was a B-grade or lower in my book (I keep a book).  The top 5 there is my actual list for this thread, and the others were just movies from this year that I think are notable and worth watching.

The main bad movie to point out is Hard Candy.  That movie just gets worse the more I think about it.  Final Destination 3 had more respect for the audience than that movie did!

Neil

Unfortunately I've been on an island in Maine, so lucky for you all i don't get to post much, but unlucky for me, I don't get to see many films
5) Thank you for smoking
4) brick
3) M:I:3
2) V for Vendetta
1) Inside Man

I believe that this list could have been copied and pasted from another post.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Rather than sullying the list by including films I hated with ones I loved, but also to have a full 10 of what I've seen this year, the list goes...

Top 3

3 ) Over the Hedge
2 ) Little Miss Sunshine
1 ) Brick

Middle 3

3 ) Wicker Man
2 ) The Omen
1 ) V for Vendetta

Bottom 3

3 ) Pirates of the Carribbean 2
2 ) Clerks 2
1 ) Lady In The Water

Some great films are on the way for the end of the year, though.  I hope these lists will see adjustments.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pozer

fountain, science, and the rest.

JG

Quote from: JG on July 05, 2006, 01:45:28 PM
Edited as of sept 24, 2006

2006 - 10 Months In

1.  L'Enfant [J. Dardenne, L. Dardenne]

2.  Army of Shadows [J. Meville]

3.  Half Nelson [R. Fleck]

4.  Science of Sleep [M. Gondry]

5.  Brick [R. Johnson]

6.  A Scanner Darkly [R. Linklater]

picolas

1. departed
2. little children
3. prairie home companion
4. united 93
5. brick
6. flags of our fathers
7. colour me kubrick
8. inside man

haven't seen superman, sunshine, devil, inconvenient pirates.

Pubrick

1  INLAND EMPIRE
2  Borat
3  Volver
4  Goya's Ghosts
5  Babel
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine
Brick
The Proposition
Borat
United 93
WWPTAD?

samsong

three times
marie antoinette
art school confidential
old joy
l'enfant
the departed
mutual appreciation
a scanner darkly
manderlay
gabrielle

if INLAND EMPIRE and Syndromes and a Century get distributed before the end of the year, they will be at the top, respectively.

gob

After having just seen it at the London Film Festival, it's undoubtedly a new addition to my list:
Sleeping Dogs Lie

Astrostic

Quote from: samsong on October 23, 2006, 03:09:11 PM
if INLAND EMPIRE and Syndromes and a Century get distributed before the end of the year, they will be at the top, respectively.

ditto, but swap them, Syndromes and a Century at the top, plus Departed to round up top 3

Quote from: Astrostic on June 27, 2006, 08:38:02 PM
The Proposition
Southland Tales
Shortbus
A Prairie Home Companion
Paris, Je T'aime
Cars
Pan's Labyrinth

+ The Fountain
+ The Host

Derek237

Okay I think I have a decent list, and have seen some decent- to great- movies. I plan to see the queen soon, so maybe that will be as good as many have been saying. But I guess, well, there's a halfway through the year list, a 'final' list (but what list is ever REALLY final anyway?), and a pre-oscar season list, so I suppose this is my pre-oscar season list.

1. The Departed
2. Little Miss Sunshine
3. The Queen
4. Marie Antoinette
5. A Prairie Home Companion
6. Hard Candy
7. United 93
8. Art School Condfidential
9. A Scanner Darkly
10. Thank You For Smoking

(No doubt will be way different come Feburary.)

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek237 on November 01, 2006, 09:57:30 AM
(but what list is ever REALLY final anyway?)

that's deep, man. but you're right, which is why i've made some changes to my list upon further reflection..

Quote from: Pubrick on October 15, 2006, 01:17:36 PM
1  INLAND EMPIRE
2  Borat
3  Volver
4  Goya's Ghosts
5  Babel

i realised that my desire to love Babel blinded me from what it really is.. far too flawed at a fundamental level, impressive only as a goodbye to a worn out partnership. it can be seen as emblematic of the very same insurmountable rift between languages it aspires to tackle.. in this case between the language of a trite arrogant scribe, and that of a passionate but shackled visionary. to paraphrase what apocalypto was acutely aware of, a partnership is not conquered from without (superficial flaws in the story), until it is destroyed from within -- a discordance that was there from the beginning.

it might come back to 6th after i revisit it, but for now it rests better in my mind to think of this tower of babel in rubble.. and to wait instead for iñarritu build his own.

i'm satisfied.
under the paving stones.