or the end in its relationship to the last shot of the film

chunking express
festen (the celebration)
rushmore
crimes and misdemeanors
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I enjoyed the signatures at the end of The Terminal.  I dunno if it's original but I don't recall seeing that before.

El Duderino

Quote from: matt35mmI enjoyed the signatures at the end of The Terminal.  I dunno if it's original but I don't recall seeing that before.

i agree...i thought it was very original.

others:
boogie nights
punch drunk love
american beauty
fear and loathing in las vegas
kill bill volume 2, i thought the montage was great.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

jonas

Amelie - flipping through a photo album.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

©brad

um, helloooo, taxi driver.

Quote from: matt35mmI enjoyed the signatures at the end of The Terminal.  I dunno if it's original but I don't recall seeing that before.

yeah ok, i haven't seen it yet, but does it go something like this?:

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG
and underneath this Steven's signature is written out?

cuz i had that idea a year ago! and wanted to do it, you know, if i ever made it.  :(

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©bradWRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG
and underneath this Steven's signature is written out?
No, just signatures... no typed names.

matt35mm

And the cool thing was that you got to see everyone's signature.  Not just Spielberg's (I've seen his signature before).  But everyone from Tom Hanks to Janusz Kaminski to Kumar.

MacGuffin

Off the top of my head:

The Conversation
West Side Story
Grease
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Bamboozled
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I saw Almost Famous again last night.  that movie tried to have one, it was a good idea to let Zepplin play for a few bars in the credits before the names roll, but I dunno, something went wrong, and it didn't live up to the rest of hte film.  cameron crowe's latter film, vanilla sky, too--the end credits would've been so great if it weren't for the awful awful paul simon song.
- Buster Keaton

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: peteend credits would've been so great if it weren't for the awful awful paul simon song.

You mean Paul McCartney, of course
Si

pete

terrible song, but good whistling.
- Buster Keaton

samsong

End credits where the cast and crew sing always get to me... School of Rock and There's Something About Mary off the top of my head...  

As for Almost Famous... since when does the credits at the end of a film need to "live up" to the rest of the movie?  At any rate I thought it ended on a very sweet note.  There's a continuity in tone created with the opening credits as we see the pictures being looked through.  Both the opening and closing credits of Almost Famous glow with understated sweetness and the sort of subtle emotional resonance that only Cameron Crowe can create.  You see them and you can't help but smile, be it watching someone scribble the names of the cast members down on a yellow piece of college ruled paper (and initially misspelling Frances McDormand's name) or seeing someone go through photographs of the characters you just spent time with.

picolas

Quote from: samsongEnd credits where the cast and crew sing always gets to me... School of Rock and There's Something About Mary off the top of my head.  

Down With Love.

oh my god. every little thing about that sequence is amazing. it runs the risk of being too much, but that's the point, so it avoids it..

pretty much anything that isn't white text on black scrolling up is usually good.

grand theft sparrow

The credits on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban were pretty great.  The footsteps on the map jumping over the approaching credits was a nice touch.