Movie Prices

Started by BonBon85, February 07, 2003, 08:10:06 PM

BonBon85

Everbody loves to complain about the price of going to the movies. What do you think? How much do you have to pay in your area?

In my town it costs $9 and $6 if you go before 2:00. The only thing that kind of upsets me is that it used to be much less but then the theater was remodeled and they raised the price. I can't help but feel like my money's going to the carpet installers instead of the filmmakers.

Cecil

stupid amc charges i think 12 or 13 (canadian) and 10 before 6. all the other big ones went down to 9, and usually the small indie ones are 8.50

xerxes

if i'm not mistaken, most of the money from the actual ticket price goes to the studio... so are they responsible for the price rise???  the theaters make most of their money on popcorn.

Cecil

theatres make all of their money off "popcorn." tickets only pay for what it takes to run the theatre and pay the distributor.

BonBon85

The movie theater actually posted a sign explaining the price increase. I think they thought people would be happy with the price increase because they now get a digital display of showtimes. Ooh, Ahh.

Duck Sauce

If I were that theater I wouldnt have posted reason for price increase, I would have just upped it hoped nobody noticed. Are there any other theaters in that area that play the same movies?

sphinx

sphinx has a card which enables him to not pay the price of admission for himself and a guest

:twisted:

life_boy

I guess that's a plus of a smaller town.  I don't have as wide a movie selection (we just got Chicago and haven't gotten Adaptation yet, I hope we will), but we don't have to pay as much for tickets.  There are two movie theaters in town.  The matinee (before 5:00pm) at one theater is $4.50 and $5.00 at the other, while regular ticket prices are $6.50 at one theater and $7.00 at the other.  Of course, we don't have an early (noon-time) show during a 'school week', or a late show (9pm or later).  Weekends and holidays are the only time we get those.  Kinda sad, of course, I've never known it any other way.

xerxes

with an old student id, you can get in for like $6.50 8)

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinxsphinx has a card which enables him to not pay the price of admission for himself and a guest

:twisted:

MacGuffin used to have one:

No More Freebies for SAG Members at Awards Season

The major theater chains in Southern California are refusing to grant free admission to members of the Screen Actors Guild during the Oscar campaign season, the Los Angeles Times reported today (Monday), noting that they are continuing to admit members of the Writers Guild, the Directors Guild, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The chains themselves declined to discuss why they have excluded actors from their freebie lists this year, but industry hands speculated that the much larger size of the SAG membership -- 98,000 -- may have dictated the action. A SAG spokeswoman told the Times that the union "has absolutely no control over the theaters" in such a matter.

:evil:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: life_boyI guess that's a plus of a smaller town.

If I ran the movie theater in your town, Id jack up the prices and stick it to you people thanks to my good friend monopoly.  :twisted:

Gold Trumpet

mine is $4 before 5pm, and $6 afterwards. The price is meaningless though because we get all the bad movies and never any of the good ones.

~rougerum

phil marlowe

In Denmark it's something between 9 and 12 bucks. Pretty ecspensive when comparing i see

life_boy

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: life_boyI guess that's a plus of a smaller town.

If I ran the movie theater in your town, Id jack up the prices and stick it to you people thanks to my good friend monopoly.

I wouldn't mind paying a little more if we got more good movies.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinthey are continuing to admit members of the Writers Guild
So wait, you register with the writer's guild and you get a super special freebie card?

Sphinx... tell me about this "card"...