Roger Ebert's Top Ten

Started by Gold Trumpet, December 25, 2003, 01:19:27 PM

ono

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Monster?  Hahaha.  I'm sorry, but as much as I respect Ebert, I think he may have lost it a bit here.  So Charlize Theron gets uglified and shows a little skin, and we're supposed to believe this lesbo-serial-killer fare is better than Finding Nemo and Lost in Translation?  Granted, I haven't seen Monster, but I can't believe something seemingly banal could be the best film of the year.

"Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups."

-Under Seige 2
I prefer "don't assume - it makes an ass out of you and me."  Um, yes.

Anyway, we don't know whether any movie will be good or not unless we see it, but there are some you can just tell by the publicity material they will be crap or you probably have no interest in.  I just don't see what the appeal of Monster is right now, except for the skin factor, which, even though I respect Ebert, some of his reviews indicate he falls victim to.

Ghostboy

I don't think Monster looks particularly good, either, and Ebert has a tendency to fall for this type of movie (Monster's Ball, which I did agree with him on at first, is a prime example). But it's a good list, and on his actual article he followed it with more films that he claimed were just as much an equal as any on the 'official' list, and that included Kill Bill -- and May (yay!). He said he tried doing an alphabetical list one year, because he hates ranking movies that shouldn't be compared, but he got tons of hate mail about it.

Gamblour.

Quote from: GhostboyI don't think Monster looks particularly good, either, and Ebert has a tendency to fall for this type of movie (Monster's Ball, which I did agree with him on at first, is a prime example). But it's a good list, and on his actual article he followed it with more films that he claimed were just as much an equal as any on the 'official' list, and that included Kill Bill -- and May (yay!). He said he tried doing an alphabetical list one year, because he hates ranking movies that shouldn't be compared, but he got tons of hate mail about it.

But he still avoided ROTK, likes too good for it, he's basically snubbing it. He was that kid in school who tried to be different, wore shirts that said "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" and stuff like that  :lol:
WWPTAD?

Thecowgoooesmooo

I think we are forgetting this simple phrase. Or two phrases... Or just two phrases I just made up.

"Every boy and girl across the land, is different. No two people are alike!"

"We all have different opinions!"

chris

cine

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooOr just two phrases I just made up.
:shock:  You're a fountain of wisdom...

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteThecowgoooesmooo wrote:
Or just two phrases I just made up.

You're a fountain of wisdom...

Well thank you. You've got a long way to go.

:)

chris

pete

I feel ebert went gaga over american splendor and lost in translation, as well as elephant, way too easily.  he wouldn't've five years ago.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ShanghaiOrange

Wait, wait. Hold on just a minute. Everyone just shut up. WAIT!

...there was a Under Siege TWO!?
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

bonanzataz

yes, and it was better than the first. the new one is coming out sometime next year. can't wait.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

pete

this is the new steven segal movie, directed by a pretty badass hong kong director/ choreographer (he choreographed the upcoming Shaolin Soccer and Hero)-turned slave of segal.  the movie looks selacious (exploitative) as hell.

http://www.videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=237127&VideoKbRate=1&AltID=&CustomerID=14817&WM=False&Ads=True&Play=False&Shorten=False
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: peteI feel ebert went gaga over american splendor and lost in translation, as well as elephant, way too easily.  he wouldn't've five years ago.
I never understand these anti-Ebert comments. How do you know he wouldn't have five years ago? Where is the evidence to support this?

pete

the evidence is that Ebert was never a big fan of irony before.  He was always pointing out that we lived in an age of irony, and he liked films like Magnolia that never hid behind irony and that was just unashambly sincere.

I wasn't anti-ebert either, more like anti-these movies.
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

oakmanc234

Hey mutinyco, I really enjoyed reading that. And now I actually wanna see 'Gigli', which I'm still not sure is a good thing...
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

good read.......but i strongly disagree with you on finding nemo!