Is Soderbergh lying?

Started by kotte, August 25, 2003, 12:20:51 PM

rustinglass

Quote from: kotte

rustinglass: I see your point...but I'm interested in knowing what it means to life.

It makes it more beautiful. Life cannot be if not beautiful.Aren't you better off having seen it?
art is the interpretation of the artist on his own experience, after seeing it , it becomes a part of you.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

kotte

Quote from: rustinglass

rustinglass: I see your point...but I'm interested in knowing what it means to life.

It makes it more beautiful. Life cannot be if not beautiful.Aren't you better off having seen it?
art is the interpretation of the artist on his own experience, after seeing it , it becomes a part of you.

I didn't see it that way...but it's true...I don't think I've spent enough time thinking about art as art and not the commercialized version of it, movies and music as we know it.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: rustinglass

I didn't see it that way...but it's true...I don't think I've spent enough time thinking about art as art and not the commercialized version of it, movies and music as we know it.

uh ohh the anti commercialized version speach , thats a bad sign

Vile5

art is expression
how we could live without expressing ourselves?????
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Quote from: Vile5art is expression
how we could live without express ourselves?????

and shallow people have very little to expresss

so they can take their daddys money and go to film school and nothing will happen

cept maybe they will proof read my scripts, and wash my dog

mindfuck

Alguien, while you have a very valid point, it sounds like you have the same exact problem all those "shallow film school kids" do. That is, you think there is only ONE valid way to become a filmmaker. That's bullshit.

You make it sound as if going through a film program somehow magically erases all your creative passion and turns you into a mindless Hollywood drone. That opinion is just as shallow as the idiot kid who goes to film school thinking they are going to learn what to make movies about.

You name two director/producers who have gone through film school and made crap and then compare them to two directors who dropped out and become gods as if that proves your point. What about these guys?

Darren Aronofsky
David Lynch
Terrence Malick
Paul Schrader
Robert Elswit

All went through film school and don't quite seem to be "Hollywood drones". Shit, Robert Elswit is even PTA's DP. My point is, there are many different paths to get to become a filmmaker and one doesn't make you any more of a "real filmmaker" than another.

***beady***

Ok, go to an art gallery. look at some of the old paintings of battles. Like the huge wall size paintings which might have even taken the whole of the painters life to finish. And then tell me that you don't feel a stir of emotion.

Ok, maybe huge powerful paintings don't do it for you. But I can assure you that some kind of painting will stir something in you. You just look.

Art is everthing to me. It's not just in paintings and pictures, it's in sculptures, photos, food, clothes, etc.. the list goes on.

Also, you got to be some kind or form of artist to make films. Creativity is everywhere. If you can't appreciate art, then what the hell do you appreciate? Ummm..... nothing?

Jeremy Blackman

I have a strange feeling that you're trying to start a fight with me, Pantalones. Is there any difference between what you're really saying and this?...

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNo one can teach you inspiration, but you can always be taught the technical stuff, the history, the philosophy, etc.

Now... Anachronism has taught us that your posts consist of (1) non-arguments, and (2) personal attacks to disguise lack of substance

For example:

NON-ARGUMENTS

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesand yes you can learn technical stuff all daya nd night, but if you have nothing to say , whats the point

I completely agree with that.

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantaloneseven a great DP Must be a artist with inspiration, its not enough to know how to use a camera , its about when and why you use it and that you can not learn

I completely agree with that.

Now, let's move on to...

PERSONAL ATTACKS TO DISGUISE LACK OF SUBSTANCE

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesnow go quote Aristotle, and show off daddys money

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi used my dads cash to go to st barts and im still 3000 steps ahead of you, i guess when i make films i will hire guys like you to proof read my scripts, and hold the camera

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesbut hold it  the way I Tell you to hold it, then go get me a fucking coke

MrBurgerKing

A coca-cola, you ask? I tend to go with the lighter sodas (and by lighter I mean the non-syrupy black colas. Usually orange soda and sprite, or 7-up). Sometimes though, it's necessary to drink a coca cola. In a social situation if the host has coke, I usually choose coke, maybe alcohol to the side, some red wine unless it's imposing.

Quote from: mindfuckAlguien, while you have a very valid point.

yes yes i do thank you, here i will forward to you a PM I sent to sonowthen a film student and my closest xixax friend

QuoteP.S

I am not anti film school, i am anti those phoneys who walk in a blank page and expect to have the teacher fill in their opinions for them

marty went to film school, but first he was a kid with ashtma, so he had to stay home and watch a lot of differnt kinds of movies like howard hawks and since he was italian he would watch films his parents would watch from italy

that was passion baby, he loved movies as a kid and thats why he went to film school

but the key was he loved movies, all kinds not just the hip cool ones

i love movies

i sent him that PM Hours before you wrote your post by the way

Pubrick

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesuh ohh the anti commercialized version speach , thats a bad sign
uh oh. don't u make those fuckin speeches all the time?

really dude, u gotta get ur act together, here's a tip: make a list of not just ppl that u want to fight with, but the qualities that make u hate a person. it seems ur saying kotte sounding like urself is a bad sign.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: P
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesuh ohh the anti commercialized version speach , thats a bad sign
uh oh. don't u make those fuckin speeches all the time?

really dude, u gotta get ur act together, here's a tip: make a list of not just ppl that u want to fight with, but the qualities that make u hate a person. it seems ur saying kotte sounding like urself is a bad sign.

all i said was i hope this is not gonna be some kid going off on asthon kutcher films and telling us how werner herzog is his god even though he has never really seen any of his films

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotteI don't really believe paintings are pointless but I really can't see the fascination with 'em either...

Before you give up on being fascinated by paintings, check out Surrealism and Expressionism. And go to any modern art museum. Too many people are barraged with (and thus bored by) classic stuff.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: kotteI don't really believe paintings are pointless but I really can't see the fascination with 'em either...

Before you give up on being fascinated by paintings, check out Surrealism and Expressionism. And go to any modern art museum. Too many people are barraged with (and thus bored by) classic stuff.

paintings are great and era by era you had good and bad

to me the 80's art scene was a joke Julian Schnabel and basquiet and all that

but some great stuff came out of that era , and some great stuff came from 1745

Anachronism can teach nobody anything that has not been taught already by somebody else

he brings nothing original to the site and you guys are licking his nuts , what ??? is he one of those dogma95 guys  in disguise ??

why are you guys kissing this second rate godardians ass

he has brought nothing of substance to this site, he is interchangable and un original

the world wide web is filled with people who act and say the exact same things

and im trying to make this site set itself apart from other shitty message boards

well i was, im thinking about backing off ::yawns:: if you guys want to ruin this site go ahead