Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

SHAFTR

I'm glad Ruffalo got a nomination.  The dude had a brain tumor.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

These aren't votes anyway, these are just nominations.  It's like JB said, even one nomination counts.  It doesn't matter if you can't fill in the whole ballot.  Any films you thought were worthy of nominations should've been submitted.  It's like some people didn't even take what he said seriously.

GoneSavage

the only category I could fill was documentary.  That means either I didn't see any of the good movies this year *cough*, or it was a bad year for movies.  I even think a few of the docs I put up there weren't from this year, JB can verify.

modage

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop
Quote from: Slick ShoesI didn't vote because there's so much I still haven't seen.

Likewise.   :oops:   I'm always about a year behind on most of the good stuff.  

2LB
dudes!  thats not the point!  it doesnt matter what you HAVENT seen.  you like movies, just pick the best/favorites of what you DID see, because SOME votes is better than no votes.  it doesnt matter if you havent seen it all, nobody does.  more diversity, more better.

Quote from: wantautopia?These aren't votes anyway, these are just nominations.  It's like JB said, even one nomination counts.  It doesn't matter if you can't fill in the whole ballot.  Any films you thought were worthy of nominations should've been submitted.  It's like some people didn't even take what he said seriously.
yeah what you said.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GoneSavage

If they couldn't figure that out for themselves, did you really want them voting?  

?

Oh, you did?  Oh.

Nevermind.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: themodernage02
dudes!  thats not the point!  it doesnt matter what you HAVENT seen.  you like movies, just pick the best/favorites of what you DID see, because SOME votes is better than no votes.

I didn't even read this THREAD till today, but I'll remember that next year.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Gamblour.

No love for House of Flying Daggers (I didn't see Hero), and none for Incredibles, that's sad. I wish people remembered Peter Sarsgaard was in Garden State, the only good part about that movie.

The one I really wanted to make it into Best Debut was Primer. Oh well.

Just a thought, albeit a bad one: we should do the Bizarro Awards, where everything that wasn't nominated for an academy award, we pool our nominations from those then vote for winners. Would be interesting, especially since the good stuff already nominated for Oscars wouldn't be eligible.
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I wish people remembered Peter Sarsgaard was in Garden State, the only good part about that movie.
His votes were split between the two films and I'm quite surprised he got more for Kinsey.

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.Just a thought, albeit a bad one: we should do the Bizarro Awards
or maybe.. the Xixax Razzies?

Gamblour.

Quote from: cinephile
or maybe.. the Xixax Razzies?

Haha, like the worst in art films? Me likey
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

I think the best we could do is "biggest disappointments." We're not qualified to judge what the absolute worst movies are.

Slick Shoes

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop
Quote from: themodernage02
dudes!  thats not the point!  it doesnt matter what you HAVENT seen.  you like movies, just pick the best/favorites of what you DID see, because SOME votes is better than no votes.

I didn't even read this THREAD till today, but I'll remember that next year.
Ditto

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Slick ShoesI didn't vote because there's so much I still haven't seen. Off the top of my head: The Aviator, I Heart Huckabees, Kinsey, Ray, Collateral, Closer, Maria Full of Grace, Hero, Spiderman 2, Bad Education, Tarnation, Overnight, Sky Captain, Team America, Brown Bunny, Shaun of the Dead etc etc

Shit, what did you do last year, man?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Quote from: Slick ShoesI didn't vote because there's so much I still haven't seen. Off the top of my head: The Aviator, I Heart Huckabees, Kinsey, Ray, Collateral, Closer, Maria Full of Grace, Hero, Spiderman 2, Bad Education, Tarnation, Overnight, Sky Captain, Team America, Brown Bunny, Shaun of the Dead etc etc

You could've helped Million Dollar Baby and the Dreamers.  :(

SoNowThen

no Dogville sucks, for sure

but no NOTRE MUSIQUE!!!! fuckin' hell... am I the only one who saw it?

:yabbse-angry:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

no, i think ghostboy did too.  but you ARE the only one who tried to go to godards house.  :yabbse-wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.