dropping frames in capture

Started by Tiff, August 04, 2003, 03:36:34 AM

Tiff

I use a Firewire connection and Pinnacle Studio 8 to capture my videos and I always end up getting so many frames dropped in the capture process, which is a major pain in the ass. I also have 128MB RAM, 9.6GB free space, and an AMD Duron 800 processor, so I don't think my computer is the problem.  
Does anyone here get the same problem, or know how to fix it?
"Shut the fuck up!"

ReelHotGames

Is the firewire port built into your system or are you using a card? Because you will find most of your problem will stem from the capture point.

If it's built into the system, then you NEED to buy a card, the extra video RAm will really help out. You will also need to run with a fairly powerful video card.

Your computer is running on about the lowest end for video, you should definatly upgrade yoru ram, 256 is going barebones.

800mhz shouldn't give you any real trouble, but remember with 9.6 gigs free space your going to be limited to short shorts only.

Dropped frames in capture are caused by the system being slow and not able to keep up with the capture, extra RAM is step onbe, as well as a capture card if not already using one.

Also when using a capture card you really want one that is designed for video, a pinnacle product or miro or the like, as oppossed to just a firewire card. The port simply transfers the info, but a designated card (ie Pinnacle's DV500 or even their low end stuff) is designed to handle video fluently.

Hope this helps a little.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

aclockworkjj

Quote from: TiffI use a Firewire connection and Pinnacle Studio 8 to capture my videos and I always end up getting so many frames dropped in the capture process, which is a major pain in the ass. I also have 128MB RAM, 9.6GB free space, and an AMD Duron 800 processor, so I don't think my computer is the problem.  
Does anyone here get the same problem, or know how to fix it?

I used to have this same set-up....(800 AMD Duron)....almost exactly, and had the exact same problem.....what I did?  I maxed out my RAM to 512mb, got a 64mb video card (dunno if this nescessarly helped)....and after that, I had no problem with drop frames....of course all the shit I added onto it, proved to be more than the little computer could handle, as it would do some funky stuff (which is why it is now in 50 different pieces all over my office floor), but at least my drop frame problem was solved.  I would try the RAM deal, RAM is cheap now, so $30 can ease a lot of headaches...otherwise, Michael is right, a capture card.

mindfuck

The RAM is definately your bottleneck here. 128MB is beyond barebones these days unfortunately. I'd recommend at least 512.

mutinyco

Get an external hard drive too.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

I just bought a new computer....no dropped frames here...so maybe a new computer is the answer...lol.  I am glad someone asked this question though, as I can't begin to explain the headache I had with this....when I first tired editing on my own computer....I couldn't capture more than like 5 min. without dropping at least a frame....after I boosted the RAM and what not, seemless....too bad the piece of shit died on me.....I just had it working to where I wanted it....

Tiff

i'll try getting more ram. thanks ppl. i seriously thought 128ram was pretty good  :cry:
"Shut the fuck up!"

aclockworkjj

careful though...cause if your 800MHz AMD is anything like mine was, it's only expandable to 512mb....check the technical specs online if you don't know....I just bought cheap RAM, and it worked great, so don't spend a fortune....this might be stupid to say, (just looking out), but make sure you know if it's SDRAM or DDRRAM.....another thing I forgot, kinda funny how all my computer knowledge is only from my own mistakes.....

zerocool41

Ok here's what i have...

Dell 2.4ghz
768mb ram
3 80 GB Hard drives - one external
The video card was the best dell would sell me.  

I'm about to buy the adobe video package to edit with, but the only think i know nothing of is capture cards.  I was originally getting a matrox package that came with adobe but i found a better deal on premiere i can't pass up.  I don't think matrox sell's the cards by themselves..

Where and what card should i get?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

Tiff

i have no idea what the diff between ddram and sdram is  :?

my capture used to work perfect before i reinstalled windows. could the fact that i haven't done the complete install of my video card have anything to do with it?
"Shut the fuck up!"

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Tiffi have no idea what the diff between ddram and sdram is  :?

my capture used to work perfect before i reinstalled windows. could the fact that i haven't done the complete install of my video card have anything to do with it?

lol...Tiff....it probably wouldn't hurt to install it fully....

...also, what type of computer do you have?  the technical specs will tell you everything you need to know.  Also, unless you get some dipshit, they will usually look up what type of RAM you need anywhere you buy it....

Tiff

my cousin put my comp together. it doesn't have a brand...if that's what u were asking. Also, how much ram do u recommend i get for a ten min short?
"Shut the fuck up!"

aclockworkjj

well, I got 256mb of SDRAM (w/ an AMD processor, it should be this) for like $30 bucks after the rebate (but I never sent in the rebate, so it was $45).....it wasn't the best out there, but I noticed a huge improvement....

zerocool41

So, apparantly when you buy adobe they give you a capture card.  Am i wrong?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

aclockworkjj

dunno if there are packages, but normally Premiere comes alone (it doesn have a built in Device Control though, so you don't need to buy a plug-in or anything) ....but you can get a cheap PCI firewire card ....the capture cards are all kinda based on what you need...(connections, digital/analog, etc...)  for the most part, I think, but I don't use one...Michael or Xixax would probably know better than me ...