Bug

Started by MacGuffin, August 22, 2006, 12:20:27 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 1st, 2006 (limited)

Starring: Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon, Lynn Collins, Brian O'Byrne, Harry Connick Jr. 

Directed by: William Friedkin 

Premise: A lonely waitress with a tragic past, Agnes rooms in a run-down motel, living in fear of her abusive, recently paroled ex-husband. But when Agnes begins a tentative romance with Peter, an eccentric, nervous drifter, she starts to feel hopeful again--until the first bugs arrive.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

thegreat gambino

Does anyone know the new release date for this? I was waiting for this at Christmas and it never came.

MacGuffin

Quote from: thegreat gambino on February 24, 2007, 07:01:49 PM
Does anyone know the new release date for this? I was waiting for this at Christmas and it never came.

Release Date: May 25th, 2007 (wide)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

thegreat gambino

thank you very much sir.

The Red Vine

This is Friedkin's best film since "The Exorcist". He's had a huge string of flops but this is an amazing comeback.

I'm predicting most audiences will hate the film. With "Bug", Friedkin remembers one of the most important elements of horror, an element most filmmakers are forgetting - he takes his time. And does he ever. 95% of the film takes place in a run-down hotel with strictly dialogue between the main characters. Eventually, Friedkin is able to create a claustrophobic atmosphere with almost unbearable tension. Paranoia and sweat runs high particuarly in the last 20 minutes.

Ashley Judd is at her most unattractive, but it's maybe her best performance yet. But the real surprise for me is Michael Shannon. This guy is simply incredible making his character more intriguing than it could've been. I hope this guy has a long career.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

SiliasRuby

Saw this last night since I'm not that big on the Pirate Movies. (Liked the first pirates but the second was so so.) But back to Bug, Ashley Judd (while I've always liked her has always been in mediocre movies) was extremely good and the feel of the whole film was extremely creepy. Do not go in expecting a horror film, or the kind of Horror film they are marketing it as. I would say it has elements of horror but itsa hardcore psychological drama. It deals allot with paranoia and seclusion and conspiracy Theory's.

All of the people in the audience who saw it with me thought it was going to be a scary frightfest. They were laughing at some points which at one point took me out of the movie. They were mixed feelings of the people coming out of the film. Some downright wanted their money back. They were so frusterated. Some really enjoyed it. Others cheered after Ashley Judd's final monologue. I loved it and I believe this is one I'll definitely be getting on DVD but as most of you people who make fun of me on here know, I buy a lot of films on DVD.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 27, 2007, 11:00:30 AM
I loved it and I believe this is one I'll definitely be getting on DVD but as most of you people who make fun of me on here know, I buy a lot of films on DVD.

It's not going to stop til you wise up.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

thegreat gambino

ADMIN EDIT: SPOILER

this was pretty good.

i do think most or all of this might've been in their/her head.

very very disturbing. more later...

Pubrick

Quote from: thegreat gambino on May 27, 2007, 10:25:24 PM

i do think most or all of that was a spoiler.
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

SPOILER?

Quote from: Pubrick on May 27, 2007, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: thegreat gambino on May 27, 2007, 10:25:24 PM

i do think most or all of that was a spoiler.

not really. the previews are incredibly misleading. as soon as they start to see the bugs, you're pretty sure it's all in their head, considering, they never ever show the bugs.

END SPOILERS

i thought this movie was very impressive. i could see how it would be a stage play, and that's what i judged it based on -  a filmed version of a stage play. the writing and acting are absolutely superb and friedkin's direction aids the story along.

but i have a big problem with this movie now. i don't understand why lionsgate decided to give it as big a release as it did (plus, i saw advertisements all over the place, they must have spent a lot distributing this, probably more than it even cost to film). from a business standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense, especially the way it was marketed. the previews, as i said before, make this seem like an action packed gorefest when it's anything but. it's very very slow moving and it's all about the characterization of the two leads (who are amazing. why hasn't ashley judd been in anything for so long?). when the crazy shit starts happening, it's not so much frightening or disturbing as it is fascinating. by marketing this as a thriller to a teen audience that wants to see a horror, lionsgate has made a big mistake and probably lost some money too, as i don't think this is gonna get anything more than $10-12 mil in it's domestic run (the amount of marketing i saw must have cost more than that).

when i went in to buy my tickets, the ticket vendor said, "don't go, my friends all hated it and i watched one reel and it sucks." i said i'd take my chances, and i'm glad i did, b/c this movie is very rewarding for people who like character pieces. however, b/c of the marketing strategy, i was sitting in an audience that wanted to see a horror film "from the director that brought you the exorcist." there was a group of 6 teenagers sitting behind me and a fat couple in front of me. TWENTY MINUTES into the movie some of the kids behind me start complaining "this movie SUUUUCKS..." and they fidgeted and moaned for the rest of the film. halfway through the movie, the fat couple starts to talk (mostly about how the movie suuuucks) and will not shut up. by the end of the movie, most everybody was groaning and lamenting coming to see this "piece of shit," but the people that dug it REALLY dug it. some people in the back started clapping (to which the fat man yelled "what are you clappin' for, the fact that it's finally fucking over?!") and the movie had won over at least one of the kids sitting behind me, who was absolutely confused as to how his friends could be so ignant (clearly, he was the one who had dragged them all to it). my friend and i were stunned and left speechless by the film (which is saying something b/c she didn't really want to go see this one).

if you want to see it, you'd better go soon, b/c this thing ain't gonna be around in two weeks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

clerkguy23

I went to see this tonight-- mostly because of William Friedkin, but also because everyone here seemed to like it a lot. Normally I agree with most of you guys on this board, but this movie was god awful. The script, the lines--oh my god it was so laughable. And the acting was ridiculous too. Everything was so over the top and the ending was just absurd. I really can't stress enough how bad this film was. I'm amazed that some of you really enjoyed it. Maybe I'm missing something. To me it just seemed like a bunch of bs.

squints

i'm gonna go see it. just because you said that
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

clerkguy23

yeah. have fun.

The Red Vine

Quote from: clerkguy23 on May 31, 2007, 02:46:52 AM
I went to see this tonight-- mostly because of William Friedkin, but also because everyone here seemed to like it a lot. Normally I agree with most of you guys on this board, but this movie was god awful. The script, the lines--oh my god it was so laughable. And the acting was ridiculous too. Everything was so over the top and the ending was just absurd. I really can't stress enough how bad this film was. I'm amazed that some of you really enjoyed it. Maybe I'm missing something. To me it just seemed like a bunch of bs.

Many people are having similar feelings towards the film as I expected. I watched it again and this time the audience was laughing and yelling at the screen.

But I feel that many people are missing the point of the film. Of course it's over the top and some of the lines are laughable. The film is dealing with two disturbed, paranoid individuals believing in the absurd. You can't help but roll your eyes at some of their conclusions but it's okay if you do. "Bug" is simply an examination of the development of paranoia within a claustrophobic setting which only fuels their madness. I felt the performances were truly powerful because of their authenticity. The actors are so convincing as if they believe in every word they say. This is part of what makes the film creepy and haunting to me.

It's sure to divide people into the love/hate categories, and I think that's a good thing.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

MacGuffin

If it was just a character study of two lonely people connecting with one another, it would have been absolutely fine, because that's really what the heart of the film is. But when you add the paranoia and psychological drama, the story gets elevated. I can understand the laughing and absurdity, but I bought into it. It's because the film lets you into the characters gradually. That helps with getting into their heads before things get... heady. These two need each other. And trust plays a big part in that, given what each of them has gone through in the past and outside that motel room. Yeah, it becomes a fucked up romance, but, damn, ain't love grand?

Skeleton FilmWorks