Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2005, 12:13:16 AM

ponceludon

Altogether, I liked it. None of the characters had the appeal that they had in the previous movies, and the plot was so unbelievably, unnecessarily convoluted, and they all mumble so much that I couldn't hear much of the dialogue over the idiotic prattling of the 7 seemingly unsupervised children sitting behind me. But, the visuals were quite stunning, and it was definitely entertaining.

However, I see absolutely no evidence of this anywhere (in fact, only much to the contrary), but it seems like the end is set up for a 4th movie.  If anything, it can only get better with the next installment if they just get rid of the whole Will Turner/Elizabeth Swann plotline (worst part, for sure).

Ghostboy

Quote from: sparrowhoff on May 25, 2007, 08:46:04 AM
If they had cut half of 2 and 3 out and made it one film, it might have been great.

Exactly. As it is, this movie is mildly better than the last one, but nothing to feel bad about falling asleep in.

I thought the whole marriage proposal battle scene could have been amazing had it involved someone other than Orlando Bloom, who not only is a really boring romantic lead, but was such a dick throughout this movie that it doesn't make sense for their relationship to continue to such delirious heights. It was probably the most delightfully staged sequence in the movie, like something out of the Princess Bride, but it was leadened by a character no one really wants to see get the girl.

After seeing this, I realized that I probably won't bother with Transformers or any of the other bloated effects pictures (except Harry Potter and maybe Die Hard) this summer. I always go, thinking that at the very least the CG might be cool, and then I leave with a headache.

modage

Pirates of the Exposition: At Words End
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

There is nothing in the world worse than this movie.  More on this later.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on May 28, 2007, 05:06:25 PM
There is nothing in the world worse than this movie.

World's Worst Things

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
2. Starvation
3. Brett Ratner
4. Genocide

Kal

Well, I knew this would suck but I decided to see it anyways. I cant understand how hard it can be when you have such a great character like Jack Sparrow (with Johnny Depp of course), all the CGI effects money can buy, and you cant find a decent 90-120 minute script.

It had some fun scenes and some parts of it were entertaining, but some of them are so fucking unnecessary, and its sooo long. I mean, why make it so long? Why the nonsense 'twists' all the time? You already have a winning formula for this, and its not necessary to be so fucking complicated.

I thought about walking out a few times, and I was ready to do it until Keith Richards showed up. I was so bored I forgot about his appearence, which also sucked. I mean, he could have had something better to do in the movie and some more father-son interaction. After that I decided to stay and see how it ended, and I was bored but at least there were some cool action scenes in the end.

This movie, and Spiey and Shrek all broke openning records but now are going to hell and making a lot less money than the previous films. I hope it sends a message to the fucking studios.

MacGuffin

Pretty much with the majority here; everything I felt was covered. Yes, I liked it better than the second (which was a relief because the way it began, I almost thought it was gonna be a musical), but it was still missing the appeal, wit and charm that made the first one fun. Although I felt there was more Jack Sparrow in this one that the second, he still came off as a secondary character. And his humor was flat; his one-liners weren't funny. But what saved the movie for me were the great visuals - the Black Pearl on the beach and the crabs, the dead souls underwater, the final scene of Lord Beckett.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Chow's "Pirates" Scenes Cut in China

Censors have cut scenes of Chow Yun-Fat as a bald, scarred pirate in the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, saying they insult China's people, the main state news agency said Friday.

Xinhua said Chow's time on the screen in "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" had "been slashed in half by censors in China for vilifying and defacing the Chinese."

The version of the Hollywood blockbuster released in China earlier this week shows only about 10 minutes of Chow's scenes compared with 20 minutes in the version seen in the rest of the world, it said.

Xinhua quoted Zhang Pimin, deputy head of the film bureau under the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, as saying the decision to cut the scenes was made according to China's "relevant regulations on film censorship" and "China's actual conditions."

He refused to give specific reasons for the cuts, but Xinhua quoted a Chinese magazine, Popular Cinema, as saying the scenes were cut because of the negative images they showed.

"The captain starring Chow is bald, his face heavily scarred, he also wears a long beard and has long nails, images still in line with Hollywood's old tradition of demonizing the Chinese," the magazine said.

Chow makes his first appearance in the third of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, playing Captain Sao Feng, the pirate lord of the South China Sea.

The film took in a record $1.3 million on its opening day in China on Tuesday, the film's distributor, The Walt Disney Co., said.

Disney has said that some of the film's scenes were cut for cultural sensitivities.

"They weren't quite ecstatic with how the Chinese pirate was portrayed," Anthony Marcoly, distribution chief at Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Distribution International, said earlier this week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

once again:

Quote from: Pubrick on January 17, 2007, 09:59:32 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on January 17, 2007, 09:55:09 AM
"The regulators just cannot understand why the movie wanted to involve China. They can talk about Iran or Iraq or whatever, but there's no reason to get China in," added the source,

hahaha, what the fuck china, if you want to play with the big kids you're gonna have to grow some balls.

man i hope they lose the olympics. i hope they come like 4th. (not gonna happen tho)
under the paving stones.