Memoirs of a Geisha

Started by MacGuffin, August 20, 2004, 01:32:23 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: peteokay so it's as racist as amadeus or amistad?
what is?

ancient romans films - not racist at all.

this geisha thing - who cares.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 9th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Ziyi Zhang (Sayuri), Ken Watanabe (The Chairman), Gong Li (Geisha Hatsumomo), Michelle Yeoh (Mameha), Yuki Kudo (Pumpkin), Koji Yakusho (Nobu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (The Baron), Karl Yune (Koichi), Tsai Chin (Auntie), Zoe Weizenbaum (Young Pumpkin), Suzuka Ohgo (Chiyo), Paul Adelstein (Lt. Hutchins)

Director: Rob Marshall (Chicago)

Screenwriter: Robin Swicord (Little Women, Shag, The Perez Family; cowriter of Practical Magic, Matilda)

Based Upon: The novel of the same title by Arthur Golden.

Premise: This is the story of Nitta Sayuri, sold to a geisha house at the age of 9, the training she goes through to become a geisha, and the life she leads as one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

wow, such TIRED images.  This movie is like the last samurai without fighting, with like the tiredest images that packed the trailer.  but my buddy Karl Yune is in it, so everyone should go just to check him out 'cause he's a good guy who's worked very hard with very little to show.  poor guy.
I love Chinese people and I love it that they're starring in Hollywood movies, 'cause they're my people or whatever, but seriously, a movie about geishas with only Chinese actresses?  I mean, yeah Zhang Ziyi's English is limited, but at least COACH a Japanese accent out of her?  I didn't realize how furious Toei must be (several posts up) until I saw this trailer.  But I don't think I care about this movie enough to actually get angry at it.  I still wouldn't call it racist, just white.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

It looks about as bad as the book. Which is bad. Actually, it might be a little worse. The range of accents is just sort of laughable.

Ravi

Quote from: petewow, such TIRED images.  This movie is like the last samurai without fighting, with like the tiredest images that packed the trailer.  but my buddy Karl Yune is in it, so everyone should go just to check him out 'cause he's a good guy who's worked very hard with very little to show.  poor guy.
I love Chinese people and I love it that they're starring in Hollywood movies, 'cause they're my people or whatever, but seriously, a movie about geishas with only Chinese actresses?  I mean, yeah Zhang Ziyi's English is limited, but at least COACH a Japanese accent out of her?  I didn't realize how furious Toei must be (several posts up) until I saw this trailer.  But I don't think I care about this movie enough to actually get angry at it.  I still wouldn't call it racist, just white.

"Chinese, Japanese, whatever."

-some studio exec

NEON MERCURY

i think this looks pretty cool actaully :oops:

i hated chicago but i thought it was directed well...if that makes sense.