Memoirs of a Geisha

Started by MacGuffin, August 20, 2004, 01:32:23 AM

MacGuffin

Zhang taking 'Geisha' turn; Watanabe set
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Zhang Ziyi, who co-starred in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," is in final negotiations to play the title character in the film adaptation of "Memoirs of a Geisha," while the Oscar-nominated Ken Watanabe has signed on to play the male lead.

Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh, Youki Kudoh and Koji Yakusho also are in final negotiations to join the cast of the Columbia Pictures/DreamWorks/Spyglass Entertainment feature, which Rob Marshall is directing.

Watanabe, who received an Academy Award nomination as best supporting actor for "The Last Samurai," will portray the Chairman, a high-powered executive with whom the young geisha, Sayuri, falls in love.

The Chinese-born Zhang will play Sayuri, the young orphan from a remote fishing village whose life changes when she is sent to the city to learn the ways of the geisha.

Yeoh would portray Mameha, the experienced geisha who becomes Sayuri's mentor, while Gong is wanted for the role of Sayuri's treacherous rival Hatsumomo.

Based on Arthur Golden's best-selling novel, the film is scheduled to begin production next month in Los Angeles and Japan. "Geisha" was adapted by Ron Bass, Akiva Goldsman and Robin Swicord. The producers are Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher of Red Wagon and Steven Spielberg. Spyglass' Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber are executive producers.

"We could not be more excited about the extraordinary cast that we have in place for 'Memoirs of a Geisha,' " Marshall said. "We are adapting a beloved piece of literature that has become a worldwide sensation, which made it important to me to assemble a cast with a prestigious international profile. I cannot wait to begin production this fall."

Added Wick and Fisher: "We are thrilled to be using this beautiful piece of literature as an opportunity to bring together some of the greatest actors in the world and certainly the most distinguished team of Asian actors ever assembled for an American movie."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinAdded Wick and Fisher: "We are thrilled to be using this beautiful piece of literature as an opportunity to bring together some of the greatest actors in the world and certainly the most distinguished team of Asian actors ever assembled for an American movie."

So, with that being said, I'm assuming this is going to be an English-speaking film.  Or is it just American financed?

P.S. Zhang Ziyi can't speak a word of English.

Myxo

I thought this was a Steven Spielberg project. Hmm. I'm out of the loop.

Ghostboy

Spielberg gave up on it a while ago. Spike Jonze was rumored to be attached, but he passed on it as well. Rob Marshall came onboard last year.

It'd be nice if it wasn't done in English, but I doubt Dreamworks is feeling that risky. It could be a good movie, maybe -- but with the double whammy of Ron Bass and Akiva Goldsman on screenplay duties, I wouldn't expect the novel (which I don't hold in very high regard) to be improved upon much.

mogwai

i know, spielberg was going to direct it, but one day he realised that he wasn't an asian. blimey!

Myxo

They should get Sophia Coppola to do it.

Pubrick

Quote from: MyxomatosisThey should get Sophia Coppola to do it.
and when that doesn't work, try sofia..
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Well she can't.  Sofia's currently doing another movie with... Kirsten Dunst, I believe.

Ghostboy

Uh oh. Take it away, Pubrick.

MacGuffin

Yune moving from snakes to 'Memoirs'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Karl Yune, one of the stars of "Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid," is joining the cast of "Memoirs of a Geisha," which includes Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh, Gong Li and Ken Watanabe. Yune will play Koichi, the love interest to Geisha Hatsumomo, Gong's character. Rob Marshall is directing from a screenplay by Ron Bass, Akiva Goldsman and Robin Swicord. Columbia Pictures/DreamWorks and SpyGlass Entertainment are producing. Yune will next be seen in Cinamour Entertainment's "Forbidden Warrior."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

YEAH!  I know that cat!  He's my friend!  He's also Rick Yune's (from Fast and the Furious) bitter older brother who thinks he's a better actor and better looking of the family.  He's cool.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

From Twitchfilm.com:

Toei Withdrawing Support For Memoirs of a Geisha?

According to Monkey Peaches Japan's Toei Studios is considering withdrawing its support of the Speilberg produced Memoirs of a Geisha. Upset with the story's portrayal of geisha culture and the fact that the Asian part of the cast is almost entirely Chinese instead of Japanese the studio is contemplating pulling their support and refusing to lease sets to the production.

They've got a good point ... much as I like Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li it doesn't really make a lot of sense to cast them as the female leads in a Japan-based film when there are stacks of talented young Japanese actresses available who, you know, can actually speak the language. I've heard it said more than once that the casting of this film betrays a certain form of racism - equating all Asian cultures and assuming that westerners simply won't know or won't care about the differences - and, though I don't particularly think that's what's going on here, Toei evidently does and I can't really blame them.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

you have a point and I somewhat agree with it (though my Korean friend is in the film), but at the same time, wouldn't all the films that take place in the Roman times be considered "racist?"
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: petebut at the same time, wouldn't all the films that take place in the Roman times be considered "racist?"
no because those romans don't exist anymore. that race got raped to shit by everyone. italians are no more roman than, i dunno, napoleon.

japanese are still pure to their ancestry sumwhat, compared to assraped romans. (and i can call them that cos none of them exist)
under the paving stones.

pete

okay so it's as racist as amadeus or amistad?
- Buster Keaton