Steven Soderbergh

Cast
John C. Reilly
Diego Luna
Maggie Gyllenhaal
Peter Mullan
Jonathan Tucker

Synopsis
It's the story of an extremely odd couple: a young Latino man who will do anything for his family (Luna) and a 30-something scheming white guy who will do anything to his family (Reilly). One wants to save his father. The other wants to get rich, in any way possible. So when they come across one of the most valuable pieces of currency in U.S. history, they're suddenly stuck together, and that's just . . . criminal.

All they have to do is sell it, which is where the real problems begin. And of course the only way out is family: the one person who can help them, hates them: the schemer's sister (Gyllenhaal).

Trailer Here
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Just Withnail

So John grew up to become Sydney...

Doesn't look too good, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt because of that Soderbergh writing credit.

Kal

its the remake of NUEVE REINAS (Nine Queens)... has anybody seen it?

pete

oh oh oh, I've seen nine queens.  wasn't that like a winner of an argentine project greenlight?  it was okay, I love street cinematography, and the latin America cinema seems to have quite a few really good street cinematographers (maybe it's because they have better weather?) but the story disappointed me ultimately.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

diggler

yea this trailer didn't look so hot. but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt because reilly's in it. probably a rental
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

RegularKarate

Reilly was here showing this movie (I tried to find him downtown with no luck) and while I didn't see it, EVERYONE that I spoke to that had said it's really bad.

Pozer

So, I was at the Arclight in Hollywood (which is the best place on earth to see a movie) last night and the premeir for this movie happened to be taking place. I was shocked when we rolled up and John C was making the red carpet rounds. He's a tall mo fo. Had to meet him cause I'm a star struck motha fuck. The man is as nice as he appears to be. When he was talking with everyone he reminded me of that part in the mag doc, 'That Moment' when he was saying 'how many confirmed hits' with the frogs. I don't know why.
Anyway, saw Soderbergh which was cool as hell. Didn't go say hi cos he was w a bunch a suits.
Maggie Gyllenhoweverthehellyouspellit (shes so hot, and a frickin giant), Diego Luna, Julie Deply, Elliott Gould (really cool to see him up close) and Benico Del Toro who zoooomed into the theater, I wanted to meet that bastard too.
Of course the highlight for everyone was Brad Pitt making his entrance with his assistant or someone. He walked right passed us and we said hi. He was very Brad Pittish.
But the big highlight for me was when brotha PT came through. I just knew he had to be there the moment I saw John C. Pointed him out to my sis, she goes, "why does he twitch his mouth so much?" Caught him at the door and said "hey Paul." He said "hey buddy." said Im a big fan and all that gay stuff. he said "thanks a bunch, nice to meet you" all that nice 'let me go watch my fuckin movie' stuff. Then I had to, HAD TO ask him about "THE NEXT ONE." He said all he could say was he was there to meet up with John, Elliott, Brad and Benich about it....
kay that last part didn't happened at all but a...he had a blue shirt and a beard.  
SUper cool and suprising night for me guys.
I'm poser(isms)?

modage

wait. which last part?  did you go up to him?  or ask him?  or he just didnt answer?  how much was LIES?!?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I guess PTA was there but he creamed his pants, passed out, and imagined the whole conversation with him...

I love the Archlight Cinemas... I go every night when I'm in LA... The Return of the King was the most amazing thing in the Dome.

I'm really not excited about Criminal... but I recommend Nueve Reinas to everyone who hasnt seen it... good stuff

pete

Quote from: anditokI guess PTA was there but he creamed his pants, passed out, and imagined the whole conversation with him...

I love the Archlight Cinemas... I go every night when I'm in LA... The Return of the King was the most amazing thing in the Dome.

I'm really not excited about Criminal... but I recommend Nueve Reinas to everyone who hasnt seen it... good stuff

yeah archlight is the best theater in America.  anything looks good in the dome.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02wait. which last part?  did you go up to him?  or ask him?  or he just didnt answer?  how much was LIES?!?

Yeah I talked to him. Just the part about asking about the next movie, sorry. It's funny cause John C was already in the theater when he arrived and that's where he was headed. So I like to think that I got in the way for a moment of their encounter.
But man, talk about the best suprise ever. One second I'm three feet away from Soderbergh in the lobby of the theater, then I see PT comin for the door. At first I didn't want to bother any of the celebs by going up to them. But when Paul arrived I said 'F that, I'm buggin him.'

Ghostboy

I saw it today (minus any kickass celebrity appearences). It's enjoyable in that 'eh' sort of way. I'm glad I saw it, but had I missed it, I wouldn't be missing out on anything. It's not as Sydney-ish as I thought it would be from the trailer (haven't seen 9 Queens). The best part was seeing John C. play a slimy asshole. That was interesting. The rest of the cast is good and it's pretty fun and forgettable. Soderbergh gave himself the Sam Lowry writing credit he also received on The Underneath. I wonder if that means he was unhappy with it, or if he just thought it would be fun for trivia purposes...or if it was a WGA litigation, but that possibility is just boring.

hedwig

I'm seeing this and Brown Bunny tomorrow. The beginning of the trailer makes it look pretty damn Sydneysih.

Mesh

Quote from: GhostboyI saw it today (minus any kickass celebrity appearences). It's enjoyable in that 'eh' sort of way. I'm glad I saw it, but had I missed it, I wouldn't be missing out on anything. It's not as Sydney-ish as I thought it would be from the trailer (haven't seen 9 Queens). The best part was seeing John C. play a slimy asshole. That was interesting. The rest of the cast is good and it's pretty fun and forgettable.

Agreed on most of this, but I thought Reilly was actually miscast badly or at the very least turned in a rather lifeless performance, especially Act 1.  Luna and Gyllenhaal were both OK, Maggie didn't look hot until the very last scene...  which I found incredibly tacked on AND tack-y.  But I'll say no more about that.

All in all, a pretty standard double-triple-quadruple-crosser genre pic with a few decent scenes.

Kal

The movie sucks... if it wasnt because I saw the original I would also think the story sucks... they just copied the whole thing but the charm of Nine Queens is not there.

There are some very good scenes and jokes in the original one that are not there. The cast didnt seem right also. As much as I love John C, the guy that played the part in the original version did it so much better.

I was dissapointed, and for some time bored, and it sucked... it could have been a very cool remake if they would have put more effort and money on it

I ask please everyone to see the original, and you'll see what I'm talking about.