The Sugarland Express

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2004, 10:37:07 AM

MacGuffin

Universal will release one of Steven Spielberg's best, if little-seen, dramas, The Sugarland Express. Sugarland will get the 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen treatment and two new featurettes, plus trailers. Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks. Retail is $19.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

About fucking time. Widescreen is the only way to watch this one. Some of the best widescreen compositions I've ever seen.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

Si

rustinglass

You bloody well should, it's fantastic! I think it's his best film.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alethia

at least top 5...this movie is terrific

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Alethia

august i believe?  confirmation?

MacGuffin

Oops, I forgot to include that info. The DVD comes out August 17th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: mutinycoAbout fucking time. Widescreen is the only way to watch this one. Some of the best widescreen compositions I've ever seen.
yeah i saw this on TCM in widescreen and it was very good. i will be buying this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglassYou bloody well should, it's fantastic! I think it's his best film.

I'm.......... sorry.........  :cry:
Si

rustinglass

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal

That Benfica won? don't worry about it. These silly benfica kids have to win at least one thing in their lifetime.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: ElPandaRoyal

That Benfica won? don't worry about it. These silly benfica kids have to win at least one thing in their lifetime.

Oh.... why did you have to remember me of that?  :?  They were lucky... fuck... that match made me sick... it reminded me of when I watched Amistad (not to go very off-topic :roll: )
Si

Split Infinitive

Does anybody think that Spielberg sided with Lou Jean?  His treatment of her and Clovis is very sympathetic, but I question whether or not part of the power of the film derives from the unsettling impression that she is the heroine of the film, rather than the crazy lady who is screwing everything up. 

*SPOILER* 

The title card at the end of the film saying that Lou Jean eventually got her kid back was chilling.  If Spielberg intended that to be a happy ending, that's disturbing.  However, if he intended it as a sober coda to the film, it still works.  I just haven't decided which way the film leans.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.