El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)

Started by Raikus, February 08, 2003, 01:48:35 PM

Raikus

This was a movie released in 2001 directed by Guillermo del Toro. It's a period piece that takes place in the last days of the Spanish Civil War. I just finished watching it and it is one of the best movies I have seen this year. It has a carefully crafted story with supernatural elements. The direction and cinematography of the film are superb. Do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't yet.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

I really enjoyed the film myself.

I thought it could have been done a little better in parts, but showed real talent none-the-less.

I think DelTorro's pretty cool, actually... even if he did direct Mimic.

Raikus

Uh *slaps head* Mimic.

The film that tricked me into watching it due to a slight Mira kick I was on after viewing the Replacement Killers.

The other reason I thought it was so good is that I've been viewing nothing but independent features (with this exception) for the whole week. In contast with some of these Del Toro is Spielburg.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has also announced a special edition release of the Guillermo Del Toro directed The Devil's Backbone which stars Marisa Paredes and Eduardo Noriega. This single disc release will be available alongside Hellboy from the 27th July this year. Retail will be set at around $19.94. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with a Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include an Audio Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro, four deleted scenes With optional commentary, six behind-the-scenes featurettes, a storyboard thumbnail comparison, photo gallery and bonus trailers.

This is a Pedro Almodóvar production, by the way. Guillermo del Toro and Almodóvar met at a party, Almodóvar said he was a fan and asked del Toro if he wanted to do something for his production company and Guillermo replied that he already had a script, and that he would send it the day after.    Originally , this film was set on the Mexican Revolution, but was moved to economize the production.
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

No kidding, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Not that scary.
SHIT acting.
Looked like it was shot on a cheap digital camera.
Boring.

Ugh.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

It's because of the Almodovar connection, isn't it?

I just don't understand you guys sometimes... :|

SoNowThen

Nah.

My friend came over from BC a year ago. He said he blind bought this amazing movie, and he wanted to show it to me. We sat down to watch.

As time rolled by, I kept thinking it was a joke. Seriously, words almost can't describe how much I hated this movie. I wanted to punch my friend in the face. It reminds me of really bad Canadian movies. Just bad in all senses of the word.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Do you like ANY spanish language films?  (made after 1960)

I think you've just got some kind of problem... this film was great.

SoNowThen

I think this is the only Spanish film I've ever seen (if we don't count Mexicans or Bunuel movies made in France).

I don't get it. Why is this movie so beloved? Did the story just work for you guys? Cos technically it was... I dunno... embarrassing.

Ghostboy

If anything stuck out to me technically, its since faded from my memory, because all I remember is a handful of distinctive shots that leave me with the impression that the film is gorgeously shot. I remember appreciating the subtlety of the CGI effects. I remember the story far more clearly than anything else, and I loved it. It reminded me of a cross between Mark Twain and Gabriel Garci Marquez...charming and boisterous, with a sense of adventure and mystery and optimism that clearly marks a story told from a  child's point of view (also illustrated excellently in the recent 'I'm Not Scared'), but with an undercurrent of sadness that is all the more palpable because, we, the viewing audience, are adults (well, most of us, anyway). That's the Mark Twain part, anyway. The ghost element, the symbolism of the bomb, reminded me a great deal of Marquez's literature.

Vile5

Quote from: SoNowThenI think this is the only Spanish film I've ever seen (if we don't count Mexicans or Bunuel movies made in France).

I don't get it. Why is this movie so beloved? Did the story just work for you guys? Cos technically it was... I dunno... embarrassing.
i need to watch this movie soon,
first at all because i want to be sure SoNowThen is right (or wrong) and
second: because in that movie appear three actors i love: Luppi (the great one!) Paredes (an Almodovar's girl) and Noriega, one of the most beautiful guys i ever seen
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí