Sex, Lies, and Videotape

Started by ono, June 28, 2003, 03:14:42 PM

ono

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about Soderbergh, so I started at the beginning, and watched this on VHS last night.  I was thoroughly impressed.  The performances were all great, as was the writing.  Things got a little fuzzy at the end between Ann and Graham, but that whole confrontation between the two was great, so that was easily forgiven.  My rating: ****/**** (9/10)

The film cost $1.8 million to make, apparently, and that was supposed to be a big deal at the time.  But I couldn't see what'd possibly cost that much, aside from actors salaries.  Seems to me this thing could've been a made for a couple hundred thousand easy.  At the time, though, all these actors were pretty much no-name.  So what was it about the budget anyway?  Just curious.

And is it just me, or does Soderbergh look like Woody Harrelson?

Ghostboy

It is a great debut. You should get the DVD, it has a great commentary track with Neil LaBute interviewing Soderbergh about the film. Also, if you can track it down, the original Sex Lies and Videotape screenplay/journal is one of the BEST filmmaking books I've ever read. I read it at least once a year.

So anyway, according to that book, the film was originally budgeted at 200, 000, but they lucked out and got the 1.8 million from the financiers. I'm just guessing here, but I think the film would have turned out almost exactly the same on 200, 000. But Soderbergh also says it was the easiest shoot he's ever had, and considering it was his first feature film, I'm also guessing that the big budget made things a whole lot more relaxed than they would have been at 200 grand.

modage

i didnt like this movie, and i really like soderbergh.  i didnt think it was bad, i just didnt like any of the characters.  and again, if i'm spending 2 hours with you, you'd better atleast be interesting or tolerable.  but it was like being at a party full of weirdos and you dont really want to talk to anybody.  i feel the same way about most of LaButes work.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Onomatopoeia

The film cost $1.8 million to make

ever seen his car?

Alethia

i fucking love this movie,  brilliant brilliant brilliant

Jeremy Blackman

Spader and MacDowell have never been even close to this good in anything they've done since. Actually, I find MacDowell pretty annoying outside of this movie.

Ghostboy

Totally off subject, and I wouldn't bring it up if JB hadn't mentioned Andie McDowell, but....

...can anyone provide me with the lyrics to the song she sings about pie in that stupid angel movie, 'Michael?' I've been on a quest to find them, for trivial reasons, but I absolutely will not watch 'Michael' again. If anyone has it on DVD (I won't ask why), it'd be totally awesome if you could transcribe them for me. But if you don't want to, I understand. If you don't have the DVD, I understand even more.

ono

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSpader and MacDowell have never been even close to this good in anything they've done since. Actually, I find MacDowell pretty annoying outside of this movie.
Even in Groundhog Day?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaEven in Groundhog Day?

Especially in Groundhog Day.

meatwad

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
At the time, though, all these actors were pretty much no-name.

Spader was in Less Then Zero, Mannequin and Pretty In Pink before Sex, Lies and Videotape ever came out. I think he was in Endless Love as well, but i don't remember if he had a big part in that one.

Gloria

I finally saw this movie and I can't believe I waited this long to see it.  I found it absolutely brilliant.  MacDowell was perfect in this movie and the interactions between her and James Spader were so well done.  I found MacDowell just hearbreaking in this role.  *SPOILERS* Especially when she found the pearl earring that belonged to her sister in the bedroom.  She just conveyed so much sadness and loneliness throughout the film.  It was facinating how Graham completely shook up Annie's 'safe-zone' and changed the lives of those around him unintentionally. When Annie realized what she was missing in life, she had to take her life into her own hands in order to really be happy.  Finally, she initiates the relationship with Graham, knowing he needed more than what was on those tapes. I thought the ending was perfect, with Graham and Annie sitting close together on the front steps, with Graham caressing her arm as they talk about the rain.  Really great writing. Peter Gallagher played a very good scumbag (both of the lowest forms of human beings, a liar and a lawyer.) I thought all the performances were really wonderful, but MacDowell really packed a punch and I loved her character.

mr_boz

it's a fucking great movie - the fact that it's his debut indicates how much talent this guy had from the get-go.
--ccb

Myxo

I had a chance to see Kafka a while back. That's a fucking bizarre movie. Definetly not something I'd expect from the same guy who made both Ocean's Eleven movies.