A good way to learn

Started by aclockworkjj, February 06, 2003, 11:50:48 PM

aclockworkjj

I just thought I would share, as well as wanna hear....some ways to tackle say a new software program that you aren't always familiar with.

My way, which I think works good, and isn't too time consuming, is as follows...  What I do is first pick out a song.  Whether it's an actual song, score, or just some noise.  Then I grab my box of bullshit DV tapes.  Go through them and capture anything remotely interesting (as well as completely retarded)...Once I have everything from conversations to shots that I just left rolling...I begin.  And essentially end up with a 5-10 minute music video.  It's fun though, cause you can usually end up with something cool in a short amount of time....it's a good way to learn the basics of playing with duration, transitions, titles, and sound.....and maybe even some of the filters if you choose.

Anyone else have any good schemes???...or did everyone else sit down and make a Sundance Winner first time around? :D

Xixax

Quote from: aclockworkjjMy way, which I think works good, and isn't too time consuming, is as follows...  What I do is first pick out a song.  Whether it's an actual song, score, or just some noise.  Then I grab my box of bullshit DV tapes.  Go through them and capture anything remotely interesting (as well as completely retarded)...Once I have everything from conversations to shots that I just left rolling...I begin.  And essentially end up with a 5-10 minute music video.  It's fun though, cause you can usually end up with something cool in a short amount of time....it's a good way to learn the basics of playing with duration, transitions, titles, and sound.....and maybe even some of the filters if you choose.
Man, I actually did this when I first got Premiere! I made a couple of "music videos" for a friend of mine.

You've reminded me now. I want to see if I can find them...
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Xixax

Oh, geez. It's worse than I thought...

Enjoy my first Premiere project, circa 1996:

"Plenty" by BLiNDSPoT

I have to admit though, you are absolutely right. I learned a hell of a lot that night. And it was even better with a good buddy and a few beers!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxOh, geez. It's worse than I thought...

Yeah, that was pretty bad, although I like a lot of the fun color stuff you did, and the ending is great.

Xixax

My favorite part is where my friend Mike is mirrored and he's humping himself and dancing around. The rest... Well... it was a learning experience.
[/size]

Recce

You think you've got it bad? I once made a short film called Time-Converted Teleportation. You think about that (and yes, it was as bad as the title).
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Xixax

We need a companion board to "Feature Presentation" called "Dirty Laundry" where we put all of the really embarassing and sucky things we've worked on in the past!

It'd fill up pretty quick, I'll bet!
[/size]

Recce

Hey, I'd go for that. I got a few films laying around that I'd be willing to donate to this thing.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Xixaxand a few beers!

Xixax, my man, this goes without saying....it's a fun little way to just learn , say, Premiere....don't go for gold, but rather use music to tweek some nooks and crannys....not to mention it's fun....

BTW...I had to give up my video equipment as part of a means to afford to move to Cali, but as soon as I get something, I will show some vids....

Ernie

Thank you for the advice man. I've been fucking dreading the editing process from the first day I started working on my first short "film" (it's going to be hard to call it a film, it's really short). I'm shooting it this April and editing it in May. I might use Premiere, it is said to be the best. I just wish I had more time to mess around with the scrap stuff I've shot.

aclockworkjj

Like I said...use that crap footage and do something with it...something simple and dumb....Just to learn the program...it's amazing what you can turn it into at 4am......