sarah silverman: jesus is magic

Started by pete, December 15, 2005, 01:07:56 AM

pete

I think ann coulter has officially rendered sarah silverman useless.  it's like when Jackie Chan came out and the world had no more use of Jean Claude VanDamme or Paris Hilton turned Christina Agulerra's blonde trampy sassiness into pale phoniness.  I saw parts of Jesus is Magic today and I couldn't even believed that I ever thought Sarah Silverman was brilliant.  She was as funny and as shocking as Family Guy, essentially.  and I also realized that she was not as subversive or as intelligent as the papers thought she was.  Unlike someone like Dave Chappelle, Silverman's comedy was not making fun of/ subverting racism/descrimination/some form of injustice, but she was just making fun of the P.C. movement that Neon Mercury himself just bravely defied a few days ago, and what's so hard about that? 
Lastly, the theater got pretty uncomfortable when these older (50-60 year olds), real presentable ladies and gents started guffawing themselves silly, right along them South Park-quotin' alpha frat boys.  That was when I realized Sarah Silverman's main draw to the mainstream--she provides a safe distance for the good hearted progressive-minded Americans to laugh at the racist/ sexist/ height-ist jokes that they've always wanted to laugh at but couldn't bring themselves to.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pete on December 15, 2005, 01:07:56 AMUnlike someone like Dave Chappelle, Silverman's comedy was not making fun of/ subverting racism/descrimination/some form of injustice, but she was just making fun of the P.C. movement that Neon Mercury himself just bravely defied a few days ago, and what's so hard about that?

That's the thing that bugs me about her.  God help me, Entertainment Weekly nailed precisely why I don't like her that much when they said that her humor is too often based on stereotypes as opposed to speaking from experience, satirizing real characteristics of the groups she jokes about or even PC-ness itself (like what Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce did).  She's doing almost all of it purely for shock value.  "Wow, she jokes about Hitler and AIDS.  She's so edgy."  Not necessarily.

She's at her best when she does personal jokes.  Like the bit about licking jelly off her boyfriend's penis and then realizing she's become her mother.  That's funny.  But most of her schtick gets really old really fast; it's just a succession of buzzwords that automatically trigger uneasiness in people which seems to be more for her benefit than anyone else's. 

Though she did have one of the best bits in The Aristocrats.

RegularKarate

I thought Jesus is Magic was "Okay"... I don't think she's making fun of the PC, I think she's making fun of the non-PC, but she does rely on shock way too much and unfortunately, her "Shocking" routine hasn't changed much.

pete

I only like shock comedy when David Attel does it.  it's can't be purely political/ buzzwords, you have to go far and you have to have a big variety in order to keep the momentum for an hour and a half.
man I'm gonna listen to some David Attel right now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 15, 2005, 09:43:19 AM
QuoteShe's at her best when she does personal jokes.  Like the bit about licking jelly off her boyfriend's penis and then realizing she's become her mother.  That's funny.  But most of her schtick gets really old really fast; it's just a succession of buzzwords that automatically trigger uneasiness in people which seems to be more for her benefit than anyone else's. 

I agree, her personal jokes are funny.  I liked some of the shock humor stuff like deboning babies, but her "edginess" does have a calculation about it.  Being a young female comic who says obviously un-PC things will get people's attention.  When she sarcastically says "I'm edgy" she shows some self-awareness.  She does have genuine talent beyond that though.

The songs broke the flow of the film.  I could have done without them, but then the film would have been 60 minutes long as opposed to 72.

Weak2ndAct

What an awful 'movie.'  Ugh.  The stand-up is okay, but the musical numbers and sketches intercut with the film are just tiresome and not funny.  I mean, the 'scene' where Silverman goes off on Odenkirk for not having the right water in the green room, it's just not funny.  And on top of that, she can't even pull of acting like a diva.  And casting such a recognizable face as her 'manager,' gah.  So lame. 

hedwig

context, context, context.

Pubrick

my favourite part was the cutaway to jack. haha, he's prolly done her. good ol' jack.

also i had a dream about a jewish girl and it was based on sarah silverman. cept she wasn't sarcastic at all.
under the paving stones.