The Naked Spur

Started by Redlum, March 22, 2005, 11:49:17 AM

Redlum

Who here has seen this? I have a fond memory of watching it with a grandparent one afternoon after school. I thought it was one of the best westerns I had seen then (westerns being a favourite of said grandparent) but have missed it the last couple of times it was on tv. Its a real shame that there's no DVD as I'd love to see it again. Can anyone here vouch for it? I wonder if Im going to be dissapointed...
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: ®edlumCan anyone here vouch for it?

Along with Winchester 73 and The Man from Laramie, James Stewart and Anthony Mann made some the best westerns; more like dramas set in the Western genre. This is definitely one of their best collaborations. I dunno if it'll recapture what you felt seeing it as a lad, but it's worth watching again.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Slick Shoes

Hell yes. I love the Naked Spur, along with the other two Mac mentioned.

Redlum

Cheers, Mac. I'll check out the other two (as they're actually on DVD) while I try to source a tape of the Naked Spur.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alethia

naked spur is awesome.  i haven't seen winchester yet, but man from laramie is a classic as well.

Redlum

Just an update: in the Warner Home Video chat transcript posted by Mac 'Naked Spur' is slated for 2006.
  -  George Lucas

Redlum

Unfortunately its not the DVD but the BFI are screening the Naked Spur and many other westerns as part of the Classic Westerns season at the National Film Theatre. Probably only of potential use to the few londoners on xixax but I thought it was worth noting seeing what a rare opportunity it is. Another notable is McCabe and Ms Miller.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/incinemas/nft/day/20060501

edit: Huzzah...

The Naked Spur (1953)
"Plain arithmetic: Money splits better two ways instead of three," smooth-talking outlaw Ben Vandergroat reasons to his captors, three bounty hunters thrown together by chance. They're taking Ben to justice in Abilene, but he has other ideas. If he can set the men against each other – play on their greed, their fears, their vanities – he may be able to make his break to freedom.

In the third of his five landmark Anthony Mann-directed westerns, James Stewart stars as the relentless leader of bounty hunters caught in the snare of the hunted (Robert Ryan). Tough, tense, and towering as tall as its breathtaking Colorado Rockies setting, The Naked Spur is simply "one of the best Westerns ever made" (Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide).

Features include:

* Vintage short Things We Can Do Without
    * Classic cartoon Little Johnny Jet
    * Theatrical trailer
    * Languages: English & Français
    * Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61517

-  George Lucas