Cannes 2004

Started by MacGuffin, February 20, 2004, 12:52:17 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThat headline makes it sound like premiers are missing.

:lol:  Classic.

No red carpet, no paparazzi, and the film is unceremoniously shown to no one on a ragged 8mm home-movie screen.

El Duderino

michael moore won palme d'or
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: El Duderinomichael moore won palme d'or

:shock:

What about the other awards?
Si

Palme d'Or to "Fahrenheit 9/11" by Micahel Moore
The Palme d'Or of this 57th edition of the Festival de Cannes was presented by Charlize Theron to Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore.

Grand Prix to "Old Boy" by Park Chan-Wook
The Grand Prix was presented by Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd to Old Boy by Park Chan-Wook.

Best Actress Award to Maggie Cheung for her role in "Clean"
The Best Actress Award goes to Maggie Cheung for her role in Clean by Olivier Assayas

Best Actor Award to Yuuya Yagira for his role in "Nobody Knows"
The Best Actor Award goes to the 14-year old Yuuya Yagira for his role in Nobody Knows by Hirokazu Kore-eda.

Best Director Award goes to Tony Gatlif for "Exils"
The Best Director Award goes to Tony Gatlif for Exils

Best Screenplay Award goes to "Comme une Image" by Agnès Jaoui and Jean-Pierre Bacri
The Best Screenplay Award goes to Comme une Image by Agnès Jaoui and Jean-Pierre Bacri.

The Jury Prize to Irma P. Hall and "Tropical Malady"
The Jury Prize goes to actress Irma P. Hall for her role in The Ladykillers by the Coen brothers and to Tropical Malady from the Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

The Camera d'Or goes to "Or" by Keren Yedaya
Jury Président Tim Roth bestowed the Camera d'Or to Or by Israeli director Keren Yedaya.

Camera d'Or Special Mention to "Lu Cheung (Passages)" by Yang Chao and "Bitter Dream" by Mohsen Amiryoussefi
Camera d'Or Special Mention went to two films: Lu Cheung (Passages) by Chinese director Chao Yang and Bitter Dream" by Iranian director Mohsen Amiryoussefi.

Palme d'Or to Short Film "Trafic" by Catalin Mitulescu
At the hands of French actress Jeanne Balibar, the Palme d'Or to a Short Film went to Trafic by Rumanian director Catalin Mitulescu.

Jury Prize to Short Film "Flatlife" by Jonas Geirnaert
Jury Prize to a Short Film goes to Flatlife by Belgian director Jonas Geirnaert.
context, context, context.

matt35mm

HAHA Stefen, you should've taken that bet I made you for the avatar!

But I'm glad you didn't... cuz Moore actually won.   :shock:

rustinglass

It's the first time that kusturica goes to a festival and wins nothing. :cry:
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglassIt's the first time that kusturica goes to a festival and wins nothing. :cry:

He's a Porto fan and the french this year aren't really Porto fans... quite the contrary :|
Si

rustinglass

Tarantino........ hates FC PORTO!!!!!! That's why michael moore got the palme d'or!
I hope that, when Derlei  scores the first goal, he says "That's for Kusturica, motherfucker!"
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

matt35mm

It'd be interesting if there was a Republican who made these sorts of politically themed documentaries, and then that person and Michael Moore would duke it out.

... but that'd never happen cuz the Republican way of dealing with problems is to just move onto something else, or maybe take a nap and see if things get better from there.  Whereas Michael Moore can make these sorts of movie because Democrats are better at holding a grudge and not letting something just go.

But either way, there is no actively political filmmaker to help the Republican party defend themselves against Moore!  I mean, Fahreinheit 9/11 is gonna come out and then Bush is just gonna have to sit there and take it!

However, more importantly, Michael Moore is dressed well (well enough, anyway) for the occasion!  Yay, he looks all right in that pic!

mutinyco

The right has commentators. The left has artists.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

Quote from: matt35mmWhereas Michael Moore can make these sorts of movie because Democrats are better at holding a grudge and not letting something just go.

Letting what go? The stolen election? The war in Iraq? The war in Afghanistan? The alienation of the US from the rest of the world? You're right, Democrats are holding grudge.

matt35mm

Quote from: kotte, to matt35mm,... You're right...

:-D  Thanks!

(While I personally don't hold grudges for very long--mostly because I have a terrible memory--I could be just as pissed at Bush.  Even though I forget all the stupid things that Bush has done in the past, he continually does more stupid things to piss me off)

Of course, I have plenty of international experience.  In fact, most of the people I know who have more international experience hate Bush.  Actually it doesn't really take much to dislike Bush, does it?

Unfortunately, half the people that will be voting this November have never been outside of the United States.   :|

matt35mm

Quote from: kotteThe war in Afghanistan?
Also, what war in Afghanistan?

Exactly.  He just moved the fuck on to Iraq cuz he started something that he couldn't finish.  Bravo, Mr. President.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: mutinycoThe right has commentators. The left has artists.

shit, man, that's a good line...