Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Started by Duck Sauce, January 25, 2003, 02:40:35 AM

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: bigideasi definitely think if it wasn't done by Clooney, it would have been looked at more seriously......what i mean is that because he is a star i think it was kind of looked over.

Because of him being George Clooney, or because of him being a actor/star? Because if it's the latter...

Robert Redford
Clint Eastwood
Kevin Costner
Mel Gibson
Ron Howard
Warren Beatty

...all Best Director Academy Award Winners

oh, that's right.
Academy Award Winners = great artistic value?

PDL = no Academy Award nominations
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

What you said was that "Confessions.." was not taken seriously because Clooney was an actor/director (or at least how I took it since you just ignored my question to show your distaste for the Academy). I pointed out how actors as directors are taken seriously. I think it had more to do the film's subject as why "Confessions..." didn't find an audience and wasn't "taken seriously".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat you said was that "Confessions.." was not taken seriously because Clooney was an actor/director (or at least how I took it since you just ignored my question to show your distaste for the Academy). I pointed out how actors as directors are taken seriously. I think it had more to do the film's subject as why "Confessions..." didn't find an audience and wasn't "taken seriously".

Congratulations, by the way, on your 3400th post. That is amazing.

tpfkabi

ok, i think of it more as........George Clooney, who everyone knows as an actor / handsomest(sp?) man several years running, has made a film that's kinda odd, quirky.........(if he did a drama about family problems or something like that, something more safe, it probably would have been accepted with open arms)................and i kinda think that if this was done by an unknown first time director it would get a little bit more recognition
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Just saw this. Fucking loved it. Brilliant.

Nice work Clooney!!. Good to see that somebody's trying to be a real director, and not doing shaky hand-held cam & super-quick editing to fake that the script is decent.

This is also the first time I felt like screenwriter Kaufmann had a real story, and didn't blow it...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenJust saw this. Fucking loved it. Brilliant.

Nice work Clooney!!. Good to see that somebody's trying to be a real director, and not doing shaky hand-held cam & super-quick editing to fake that the script is decent.

This is also the first time I felt like screenwriter Kaufmann had a real story, and didn't blow it...

Dude.. Kafuman's scripts are brilliant.  I don't know where you are coming from comparing a handheld hiphop style of editing a "faked" decent script to this script.. because.. this one is genius.  

Adaptation genius
Human Nature genius
Being John Malkovich genuis
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind genius

I can't wait for the next script from this man.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

SoNowThen

What I was saying is that it's nice that a director can just be a director (because he has a good script, as in the case of Confessions), rather than try to be a hip hand-held guy, like so many other movies I see now.

Well, it's no secret here that I despise BJM and Adaptation, so it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed this flick so much. Eternal Sunshine looks great as well...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

That's strange you say that because Kaufman didn't like what Clooney did with the script
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Well, I can't believe it took me so long to see this, because I LOVE what he did with the script.

RegularKarate

Quote from: SoNowThenWhat I was saying is that it's nice that a director can just be a director (because he has a good script, as in the case of Confessions), rather than try to be a hip...

Are you sure you were watching Confessions of a Dangerous Mind?

That's all it was... Clooney trying to be hip... mis-stylized junk...

Clooney likes Soderbergh, so he tried to be Soderbergh, but he's not Soderberg so it was a bad movie.

It was certainly far from a "director just being a director"

SoNowThen

I didn't see much Soderbergh rip-offs. I saw some Mike Nichols shots, lots of 60's-70's stuff. I thought it was good, in your face, fun shots, have some fun with the actors, directing.

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenI didn't see much Soderbergh rip-offs. I saw some Mike Nichols shots, lots of 60's-70's stuff. I thought it was good, in your face, fun shots, have some fun with the actors, directing.

Exactly...it looked like they had fun on set. Clooney seems like a fucking blast to work with.

I think he mentions the Nichols rip-offs on the commentary.

SoNowThen

It's funny, cos the shot where the camera zooms out and dollies over from the girl on the skating rink, to the two men talking -- that's one of my favorite shots from Carnal Knowledge, and I showed it to my actors and cameraman on the last short I did, so we could rip it off. So, last night, when I saw the shot in Confessions, I got all excited, and started saying to my buddies "hey look, Clooney's ripping off the same shot we ripped off a few years ago!!".

hehehe, I love shit like that...

Quote from: SoNowThenWell, it's no secret here that I despise BJM and Adaptation, so it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed this flick so much. Eternal Sunshine looks great as well...

Ahhhh.. Thats why I couldn't remember anything you have posted on here before...  You despise amazing scripts.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

ono

Quote from: 82
Quote from: SoNowThenWell, it's no secret here that I despise BJM and Adaptation, so it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed this flick so much. Eternal Sunshine looks great as well...

Ahhhh.. Thats why I couldn't remember anything you have posted on here before...  You despise amazing scripts.
Amazing scripts don't fall apart in the third act.  Just saying.