A Godard thread about Britney Spears

Started by Xixax, February 08, 2003, 10:38:42 PM

ShanghaiOrange

Jean-Luc Godard was good, but everybody knows that Kirk was the better captain. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

So, I was just at the Godard=Cinema website, reading a great interview which was a debate between Godard and a camera designer, and the article mentioned that Godard had debated Pauline Kael before that. Does anybody know where I could get a transcript of that?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

I dunno if you found this but the best I could find is that it was called "The Economics of Film Criticism: A Debate" in Camera Obscura 8/9/10, Fall 1982.

If you find anything on it.. let me know.

SoNowThen

Sweet.
Thanks. I'll have to try and look it up. Maybe a university article search thing... my friend is always doing them...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThenSweet.
Thanks. I'll have to try and look it up. Maybe a university article search thing... my friend is always doing them...

Infotrac?

SoNowThen

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenBut your av rocks!!
get one.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Pubrick

nah, but it'd be nice. adds personality.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I gotta find one I really like. But I'm a little stupid about these things. I know there's a size limit and all, and I'd have to do work re-sizing... sounds like too much...

Oh, as to the topic: I watched In Praise Of Love twice last week. A gem of a film. Old JLG still has it.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: MacGuffinPop diva Britney Spears made herself very unpopular with Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival last week by her rude behavior. Spears, who was at the independent film event in order to make more cinematic contacts to boost her big screen career, attended a screening of the new Holly Hunter movie "Levity" and made her presence felt. During the film, Britney and her huge entourage chatted loudly and talked on cell phones and committed the ultimate faux-pas - they left before the movie ended. An eyewitness, who observed Redford scowling at the star, says "If looks could kill. Britney would be the deadest pop star in the world."

at least she was being honest , is it better for her to try and lok all deep and shit

fuck that , and maybe the film was a preteniouce bore

and yes in a ideal world she wouldnt be there, but the sundance of yesterday is dead folks now its like the hamptons

i hate cassavetties films, i find them to be as boring as a dog's ass to quote the great mel gibson

so someone now will read this and think i worship 2 fast 2 furious

no im just setting the new standard at xixax we shouldnt be scared to look un hip we can be honest

and fuck yeah britney that film i bet did bore you, as some films i love may bore you guys

so back the fuck off

SoNowThen

I agree about cassavettes (sp?), except that Chinese Bookie and Husbands look pretty good, and i haven't seen those yet, but the stuff with his wife (just like mamet) I can't stand. especially the script that he wrote that his no talent hack son directed, She's So Lovely.

but ANYway...

Alethia

Quote from: SoNowThenI agree about cassavettes (sp?), except that Chinese Bookie and Husbands look pretty good, and i haven't seen those yet, but the stuff with his wife (just like mamet) I can't stand. especially the script that he wrote that his no talent hack son directed, She's So Lovely.

but ANYway...

husbands is good, i highly recommend you see it, right now.  go!

MacGuffin

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesat least she was being honest , is it better for her to try and lok all deep and shit

fuck that , and maybe the film was a preteniouce bore

and fuck yeah britney that film i bet did bore you, as some films i love may bore you guys

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks