What Did You Think Of Matrix Revolutions?

Started by Cathartic Cleansing, October 15, 2003, 01:11:30 PM

brockly

Quote from: Bankyi will see if i can handle this one and give mac a break form the Q and A

the oracle said that the ones power goes farther than just the matrix.  It extends all the way back to the source.  Therefore he has the power to control thinks in both worlds because in essence, everything was created from the source.

does that help?

maybe mac could explain better

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Bankyi will see if i can handle this one and give mac a break form the Q and A

Quote from: Bankymaybe mac could explain better

Wow, Banky, that was a faster break than Shaq and Kobe.

Neo
Tell me how I separated my mind
from my body without jacking in.
Tell me how I stopped four sentinels
by thinking it. Tell me just what the
hell is happening to me.

Oracle
The power of the One extends
beyond this world. It reaches from
here all the way back to where it
came from.

Neo
Where?

Oracle
The Source. That's what you felt when
you touched those Sentinels. But you
weren't ready for it. You should be dead,
but apparently you weren't ready for that,
either.

Neo
The Architect told me that if I didn't return
to the Source, Zion would be destroyed by
midnight tonight.

Oracle
Please. You and I may not be able to see
beyond our own choices, but that man can't
see past any choices.

thanks.

Jeremy Blackman

I was really disappointed with Reloaded, and now after seeing Revolutions I think even less of it.

They should have been one movie. About 20 minutes could be taken out of Revolutions, and at least an hour and a half could be taken out of Reloaded. It would be a perfect 3-hour movie.

What a huge improvement over the waste of Reloaded. There was some cheese, but most of it worked for me. The end was perfect.

picolas

spoilers

lots of thoughts. for you, brad, i'll make this review extra-thick.

...Revolutions (abstract to spefismic):

- filled with so many great, amazing, aaamazing things.
- also filled with so many bad things.
- my problems aren't so much with the story, or the ending, but they way in which they're presented. the script was clunky. it needed a rewrite. and i'm not just talking dialogue, here.
- i think every Matrix film (all two of them) is at its worst when you see it the first time. 01 and Reloaded get better with every view. i'm pretty certain the same thing'll happen with number 3.
- first 5 minutes were awesome. especially when seraph hangs up the phone. BAM.
- the next half hour needed some work. for the first time in the series, i went "why hasn't seraph/morpheus/trinity been shot yet?"... i had a lot of trouble suspending my disbelief with the club fight/stickup reversal and all that and for a lot of the inconsistencies throughout the entire film. (how can neo have visited the oracle moments before smith was everyone but the oracle and still see all normal, healthy people walking the streets of the matrix on the car ride there? if nobody's ever made it within 100 km of machine city, how did neo and trin do it? everyone else died. well..uhh.. okay, but somebody must've known that.. etc..) i lost some respect for the movie when the Logos was found with no explanation as to how it was lost or whatever went down there... i understand it's a part of the game, but the game was never required viewing before. just an expansion.
- the middle of the film is stupendous. "the third is about death." uhh....SHHA it is. holy fuck. everyone's about to die. you can smell it. it's like cramming before the hardest test ever written and you don't know how to read or write and you can't remember anything unless it's taught upside down and you can't stay upside down for longer than 30 seconds because you have a weird upside disorder where you get malignant tumors if you stay upside down longer than 30 seconds. that's the way it feels. dammit, it's exhilirating. there are still some problems. the dialogue, the cheese. i hated the explanations of the questions left by Reloaded. they're just too ambiguous for the precedent set by the other two films. but those're sort of drowned out by the golden moments strung all over. for example..
- the sky was magnificent. the goodbye morpheus was magnificent. the siege was magnificent. "that'd be swell" was magnificent. a lot of magnificent, here. a whole lot. i also think the smith/oracle scene and the seraph/smith scene before it reach the same kind of classic goodness as Matrix1.
- my complaint about the ending on the car ride back was "they could've done something better..." but then i listened to myself for a moment and thought.. what? i dunno.. i don't think that's really a valid complaint. and the more i think about it, the better it gets. it reminds me of the last episode of "reboot," but with an added element of sacrafice. and that's really swell.
- The Matrix stole my shot. frame for frame. the Wachowskis went through my shit and stole their shot from me. i improv-filmed this a week ago. i'm really serious.

- more thoughts'll come later, probably..

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolasfor the first time in the series, i went "why hasn't seraph/morpheus/trinity been shot yet?"... i had a lot of trouble suspending my disbelief with the club fight/stickup reversal and all that and for a lot of the inconsistencies throughout the entire film.

The scene I cringed at (and this was the first time I've done that in the series) was "Machines don't care how old I am." I can overlook the cheesy dialogue and cliches of some other scenes, but this one scene in particular was both at an extreme level.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I just cannot believe all the great reviews Matrix Revolutions is getting on this board.  I like to think of myself as one of the least critical members.  When I left the theatre I couldn't help but imagine the disappointment and horrible reactions to the film that would be posted.  I don't know if I missed something, or if the fanboys would be pleased with any Wachowski product.  For a time I tried to get it through my head that Star Wars Episodes 1 & 2 were good films.  I even saw Attack of the Clones three times in the theatre.  I have a feeling that the build up for Reloaded and Revolutions will die down and upon subsequent viewings, everyone will come back down to Earth (those that haven't yet) and realize that the films are nothing above average (such as I did with Episodes 1 & 2).

In a sense, I'm a fanboy for doing all of the so called recommended reading for the films (The Animatrix & Enter the Matrix).

What I have been reading on here is half tempting me to see Revolutions again but I know what my first reaction was and I refuse to give more money to that film.

This isn't me bitching or complaining, but explaining my disbelief.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

markums2k

Is the last film in a trilogy EVER received well?  I like Return of the Jedi, but lots of people hate it.  I love the Last Crusade, but lots of people hate it.  Just an observation.  You can't please all the people all the time, but you can piss most of them off.

Banky

do you think Neos convo with Counselor Han holds more weight now because he was trying to tell Neo that Man and Machine must live in a symbiotic relationship.  And so Neo makes peace not war.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: markums2kI love the Last Crusade, but lots of people hate it.

It's the best one, really.

©brad

wonderful review pickles. u should write longer posts more often.

okay, here's a beef i do have w/ the movie. whilst i luv the club scene (well, i luv the way it was shot, mixing the red w/ the green, i luv how trinity steps up- "i don't have time for this shit") i find it hard to believe that the merovingian would just give up neo like that. okay, trinity has a gun to his head. merovingian says ok, i'll give u neo. the minute she puts down the gun he could just attack her, or have one of the boys from his entourage do it. it just kinda seemed too easy, and too quick a dismissal for the merovingian, whom i thought was gonna have a bigger role in the whole thing. (although, supposedly he's going to be involved in the matrix online thing)

one more thing-- one of the best moments in the film is when neo says bye bye to morpheus. i only wish that it held there for a bit more (they shoulda hugged more) and more importantly, morpheus doesn't say bye to trinity!!! surely he knows that trinity is probably not coming back. he doesn't even wish her luck really. i didn't get that. if i was morpheus i woulda given her a big juicy good luck kiss. i woulda even tried to touch a boob or two.

Quote from: picolas- the sky was magnificent. the goodbye morpheus was magnificent. the siege was magnificent. "that'd be swell" was magnificent. a lot of magnificent, here. a whole lot. i also think the smith/oracle scene and the seraph/smith scene before it reach the same kind of classic goodness as Matrix1.

so many magnificent moments, almost theatrical. the wachowskis are masters in this respect. anyone who didn't have goosebumps during the sky, trinity's last kiss, neo vs. agent smith... i don't know, ur not human.

EDIT: Macman, how's the soundtrack? i'm thinking of picking it up. i luv the music that plays over the end credits. is it not part of the cue during the final smith/neo battle?

MacGuffin

It Was Inevitable, Matrix Revolutions Dominates B.O.

Warner Bros.' conclusion to "The Matrix" trilogy, The Matrix Revolutions, dominated the weekend box office with an estimated $50.2 million for the three days and pulling in $85.5 million since its Wednesday debut. The Wachowski brothers film, starring Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving, played in 3,502 for the five days in North America and averaged an impressive $14,323 from Friday-to-Sunday. The figures didn't beat May's The Matrix Reloaded, however, which made $134.2 million in four days (it opened on Thursday with Wednesday night previews) from 3,603 locations. Overseas, The Matrix Revolutions collected a big $118.6 million from 107 territories to bring its worldwide total to $204.1 million, which is on-par with studio predictions.

Quote from: ©bradEDIT: Macman, how's the soundtrack? i'm thinking of picking it up. i luv the music that plays over the end credits. is it not part of the cue during the final smith/neo battle?

It's very theatrical. Since there was only source song (the one that played in the Hel Club), it let's Don Davis show his stuff, being a bit more 'opera' like. The end credits score runs 9 minutes long and has the lyrics. It's also an enhanced CD, so it comes with a sample Matrix comic book and has a game too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

sooo... any interesting theories on Neo's "connection to the source"? it's the biggest thing i don't really understand.

something i noticed was that he's only able to see and shut down things from the machine world (eg. he cannot see that Trinity is dead..)

©brad

i have a question:

is the architect that big black thing at the end? (the voice of which is extremely chilling) and when he's in the matrix he uses the shell of that old dude?

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolassooo... any interesting theories on Neo's "connection to the source"? it's the biggest thing i don't really understand.

What exactly don't you understand?

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat exactly don't you understand?
- how did he touch the source?
- why would the source give a One the power to disable machines? is there a purpose for this power? i mean... did the machines actually intend him to use it if he had touched the source the right way?
- how does the power actually physically work? how can he see with light vision? how does he send signals or what have you to the machines to disable them?

there must be an explanation, a la Smith becomes more human towards the end, thus Neo becomes more machine.. but i still don't see how that would make it possible.. i guess i'm unsure most about the physical aspect of it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolas- how did he touch the source?

He touched The Source when he stopped the Sentinals.

Neo
Tell me how I separated my mind
from my body without jacking in.
Tell me how I stopped four sentinels
by thinking it. Tell me just what the
hell is happening to me.

Oracle
The power of the One extends beyond
this world. It reaches from here all the
way back to where it came from.

Neo
Where?

Oracle
The Source. That's what you felt when
you touched those Sentinels.
But you
weren't ready for it. You should
be dead, but apparently you weren't
ready for that, either.

Quote from: picolas- why would the source give a One the power to disable machines? is there a purpose for this power? i mean... did the machines actually intend him to use it if he had touched the source the right way?

The Source is the machine mainframe. That's why programs are supposed to return there for deletion.

Quote from: picolas- how does the power actually physically work?

Quote from: picolashow can he see with light vision?

Quote from: picolashow does he send signals or what have you to the machines to disable them?

I'm gonna try my best to lump these together, but let me know if something's not clear:

It's believed Neo has some sort of "wireless connection" to The Source. The Oracle said "the One's powers continue outside of the Matrix, it happened when you touched the Source."

And after all that, my head is has just:

Skeleton FilmWorks