Cheesiest Movie Moments

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2003, 10:00:21 AM

MacGuffin

Magazine lists cinema's cheesiest moments

In the film industry, where cliche and ridiculous sentiment are no hindrance to success, there is no shortage of films which can easily be labelled as cheesy.

But now there is a hierarchy of cheese. Empire magazine has compiled a list of the cheesiest movie moments - and the ripest moment of all can be found in Independence Day.

When the film played in US cinemas audiences reportedly cheered as the on-screen president, Bill Pullman, called his countrymen to arms against marauding aliens with the words: "Today we celebrate our independence day." For the list's compilers, however, it is the grand fromage of movie moments. It is, they say, "a cornball speech that sounds like Shakespeare rewritten by kindergarteners".

Running a close second is the 1980s fighter pilots and male bonding flick Top Gun: the scene where Val Kilmer's Iceman tells Tom Cruise's Maverick, "You can be my wingman any time."

But it's not just Hollywood that serves up the cheese. The British film Four Weddings and a Funeral may be one of this country's most successful, but Empire says its ending is over-ripe.

In the film, Andie MacDowell finally gets together with Hugh Grant in a torrential downpour, then ruins the moment with the line: "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."

Empire put the scene fourth, saying: "Talk about killing the moment."

The huge budget Pearl Harbor is fifth. The scene where Kate Beckinsale sits, rapt, reading a love letter as the sun sets behind was deemed to be not so much romantic as repugnant.

Other moments to make the top 10 include Richard Gere sweeping Debra Winger off her feet at the end of An Officer and a Gentleman, and a romantic scene between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in the Star Wars film Attack of the Clones. Kevin Costner also earns a place for his mega-flop, The Postman, in which a blind woman tells him: "You're a Godsend, a saviour," and Costner solemnly replies: "No, I'm just the postman."

Cancer-stricken Susan Sarandon leading her kids in a family singalong during the sentimental Stepmom also made the list.

No list of cheese would be complete without Robin Williams, though the difficulty may lie in singling out just one moment. Empire suggests a scene in Patch Adams where terminally ill children turn up at court to save the day for Williams' comedy doctor.

Empire gives Williams a special commendation. Many of his films are like "being dipped in a churning vat of camembert".

Empire's top 10 cheesiest moments

1 Independence Day
2 Top Gun
3 The Karate Kid
4 Four Weddings and a Funeral
5 Pearl Harbor
6 Stepmom
7 The Postman
8 An Officer and a Gentleman
9 Patch Adams
10 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Agree, disagree, have your own to add?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinKevin Costner also earns a place for his mega-flop, The Postman, in which a blind woman tells him: "You're a Godsend, a saviour," and Costner solemnly replies: "No, I'm just the postman."

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. That's the last scene with his glorious horse riding moment, right?

TheVoiceOfNick

Has anyone seen Daredevil, for goodness sake?

NEON MERCURY

::snorts pensil shavings up his nose::

..great topic
here is my list of films/moments..

1.0  armageddon animal craker love scene
2.0  cuba's facial expressions during pearl harbor(esp near the end)
3.0  cruise sliding the lit matches in cocktail.
4.0  i agre w/ attack of the clones if referring to the scene when anakin uses "the force" to slice the fruit or what-not..hahahhaah!!!(that was bad)
5.0  legolas "hanging ten" in helm's deep......

ElPandaRoyal

"Pay It Forward" is the cheesiest film ever to be made and I don' waste any chance to badmouth the damn movie. I hate it so fucking much!
Si

SoNowThen

Finding Forrester and Mighty Ducks have an endless supply of cheese, but I'd have to say the cheesiest moment (or maybe most cliched, or just plain worst ever) is when the slutty chick tells Kevin Spacey she's a virgin in American Beauty.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gloria

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum"Pay It Forward" is the cheesiest film ever to be made and I don' waste any chance to badmouth the damn movie. I hate it so fucking much!

The ending was really cheesy. From what I gather, the ending was the exact opposite of the book.  

I agree that Attack of the Clones had the cheesiest romance dialogue.  The part where Anakin compares her skin to sand was hilariously bad.

RegularKarate

I haven't even seen the movie, but in the ad for Radio, the part where a character actually says "Maybe we don't teach Radio, maybe Radio teaches us"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RegularKarateI haven't even seen the movie, but in the ad for Radio, the part where a character actually says "Maybe we don't teach Radio, maybe Radio teaches us"

hhahah ..thats awful....

it sounds like they make him out to be some kind of wierd species...

kotte

Sigur Rós

Quote from: MacGuffinIndependence Day

RUSSELL
(filtered)
Mr. President, Do me one favor...

RUSSEL
(filtered)
...tell my children I love them
very much.

Ernie

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum"Pay It Forward" is the cheesiest film ever to be made and I don' waste any chance to badmouth the damn movie. I hate it so fucking much!

You may very well be right. Cause see, movies like the Karate Kid can be redeemed cause they're 80's and their cheesiness is charming but Pay It Forward took it all so seriously.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanthey're 80's and their cheesiness is charming

I have to disagree in the strongest possible terms of disagreement.

©brad

well i think u can distinguish different types of cheese, or corniness. there is good corn and bad corn. everything listed in this thread thus far would occupy the 'bad corn' category, whilst things in say, a cameron crowe movie; take jerry maguire- when dorothy watches the little kid give jerry a kiss-- it may be cheesy, but its that good cheese that makes u kinda smile. didn't we have a thread about this already? macman?

ono

I still don't see what's bad about Finding Forrester or American Beauty.  *shrug*  I don't see anything cheesy about either of those movies.  Finding Forrester was one of those uplifting, feel-good surprise movies I went in seeing not knowing anything about it, and I loved it.  Some may call it a poor man's Good Will Hunting, but there's nothing wrong with that.  And as for American Beauty, well, I don't think there's a cheesy frame in the whole film.  But that's neither here nor there.  Well, maybe Ricky's speech is borderline with the whole bag thing.  But it made its point.

And, well, The Postman could've been better had the script been given a rewrite.  But any script that started with postal workers as the heros of the world would need a genius of a writer to take the cheese out of that one.