Star Wars
Blade Runner
Mad Max
Dune - Lynch's
The Crow
Total Recall
T2
Reloaded

I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched 2001 all the way through in a LONG time. I also need to re-view Brazil and 12 Monkeys.
MC Pee Pants

SHAFTR

1.  Star Wars:  A New Hope
2.  Star Wars:  Empire Strikes Back
3.  Starship Toopers
4.  The Matrix
5.  Minority Report
6.  Terminator 2
7.  Blade Runner
8.  Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
9.  Close Encounters of the Third Kind
10.  Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

anakin_e

1. SW: A New Hope
2. SW: The Empire Strikes Back
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Alien
5. ST II: The Wrath of Kahn
6. Brazil
7. Metropolis
8. The Day the Earth Stood Still
9. Clockwork Orange {i'd include it as Sci-fi}
10. Solaris (Tarkovsky)

I'd also say that "Things To Come", "Sleeper", "The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension", "Planet of the Apes", "THX-1138", "Forbidden Planet", "The Road Warrior", "Blade Runner", "Close Encounters" and "12 Monkeys" deserve to be mentioned.

Spaceballs Rules

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

MacGuffin

The 10 Most Hideous Aliens on Film
Source: IGN.Filmforce

The annals of cinema are chock-full of hideous creatures from outer space. And in celebration of the forthcoming release of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy – sure to have plenty of hideous creatures of its own – we thought we'd breakdown the ten most hideous aliens on film.

#10: Jabba the Hutt - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Jabba... the mere mention of his name evokes hideous images.  I'm not talking about the new, CG-animated wussy version either.  I'm talking about the bong-smoking, slimey-tongued, frog-eating Jabba from Return of the Jedi. The Jenny Craig-needin' Hutt, with his slug-like body, drooling toothless grin, and reptilian eyes, lived like a king in his Tatooine palace until Luke Skywalker and friends brought the pain. Jabba's body was burnt to a crisp in the flames that engulfed his sail barge as the Rebels raced for freedom. Who's up for barbeque!?

#9: The Blob - The Blob
No ground-breaking concept design here.  But somebody tell me what's not hideous about a creature from another planet that resembles (probably because it is) a giant blob of gelatinous goo.  In the 1958 sci-fi classic, the seemingly unstoppable blob grows larger and larger, bloated with the blood of its victims, until it meets its match in Steve McQueen.

#8: ID4 Aliens - Independence Day
Yes, the movie is cheesy and the creature designers owe a great deal to the creators of Alien and Predator, but the exoskeleton aliens from Independence Day are hideous and original enough to make our list.  What about when the captured alien used its tentacles to grab Data? That was pretty freaky.  Yeah, those ID4 aliens were tough...  Too bad they didn't upgrade their virus scan software.

#7: E.T. - E.T. the Extraterrestrial
Face it... E.T. is straight-up scary. That weird, long neck. Glowing insides. Those freakishly enormous eyes! And the truly hideous part was when he turned all white and fossilized looking. I don't think I'm the only one who had nightmares about that.

#6: Brain Bug - Starship Troopers
It kind of looks like a butt.  I don't know if that's what director Paul Verhoeven and the designers at Phil Tippett Studios had in mind when created this gruesome Starship Troopers creature, but it resembles a giant alien butt... a butt with eight eyes and some really freaky pincer things... but a butt nonetheless. I'd say that easily qualifies the Brain Bug as one of the most hideous movie aliens.

#5: Jar Jar Binks - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Truly horrific, the creature known as Jar Jar Binks first appeared in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.  The Gungan, with his yellow, crab-like eyes, duck-billed mouth and large flappy ears, strikes fear in the hearts of many Star Wars fans. But what's worse than Jar Jar's strange appearance are his bungling, haphazard mannerisms and his ultimate weapon... that voice. No sooner had he "boomed da gasser, and crashed de boss's heyblibber," than he crushed the hopes of George Lucas devotees the world over.  Hideous, indeed!

#4: Predator - Predator
They're strong, highly-skilled, intelligent warriors... and they're hideous! No, I'm not talking about the IGN editorial staff, I'm talking about the Yautja from the Predator series.  First appearing in 1987's Predator, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, the creatures mercilessly hunt down a team of commandos who are on a mission in the South American jungle. The hunters, with their freaky-looking mandibles and fleshy dreadlocks, went on to appear in the 1990 sequel Predator 2 and the recent Alien Vs. Predator.

#3: Alien - Alien
Designed by H.R. Giger for Ridley Scott's 1979 classic Alien, the fierce-looking alien creatures from that flick have gone on to appear in a number of sequels, including the recent (some would say unfortunate) Alien Vs. Predator. Regardless of your feelings about the most recent outing, you can't deny the hideousness of the Alien aliens. Even their eggs are disgusting. And of course there's the always pleasant facehugger and chestburster stages of development. Hungry yet? But none can compare to good ol' Mama Alien. With her elongated cranium and deadly secondary jaw, the "Alien" is a truly hideous creation.

#2: The Thing - John Carpenter's The Thing
While the special effects of John Carpenter's classic may not impress by today's standards, The Thing is still freakin' disgusting.  The mysterious alien creature crashed on Earth centuries ago. Thrown clear of its ship, the alien was frozen in the Antarctic ice and ultimately uncovered by a group of unfortunate Norwegian scientists. Reanimated, the creature has the unique ability to alter its cellular structure and take on the form of organisms it consumes – a nasty process, to say the least.

#1: Humma Kavula - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Really, ask yourself... What could be more hideous than an alien that dresses like Elton John, has dozens of little mechanical spider leg thingies, and the head and torso of John Malkovich? That's right, nothing could be more gruesome than Humma Kavula, a character specially created by Douglas Adams for the movie version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All that's known about Humma is that he's an megalomaniacal, religious cult leader who can currently be found preaching to the Jatravartid people of Viltvodle VI as they await the coming of the Great White Handkerchief.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Alien will always be the scariest alien. It just looks DANGEROUS. It should have been number one but those chumps who made that list wanted to use the 1 spot to crack a joke instead. Bad journalism.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Quote from: IGN.FilmforceThey're strong, highly-skilled, intelligent warriors... and they're hideous! No, I'm not talking about the IGN editorial staff
Quote from: IGN editorial stafflol

cowboykurtis

ALIEN is not a sci-fi film and shouldn't be considered as such.
...your excuses are your own...

Gamblour.

Then what is it? Just straight horror?
WWPTAD?

Myxo

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkThen what is it? Just straight horror?

I think it's both really.

Here is the plot summary on IMDB.. Totally Sci-Fi and very much a horror film.

When commercial towing vehicle Nostromo, heading back to Earth, intercepts an SoS signal from a nearby planet, the crew are under obligation to investigate. After a bad landing on the planet, some crew members leave the ship to explore the area. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship's computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a call for help. When one of the eggs is disturbed, the crew do not know the danger they are in until it is too late.

Would anyone consider Independence Day a science fiction film?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

10 - Men In Black
9 - Ghost In The Shell
8 - SW: Return of the Jedi
7 - SW: A New Hope
6 - SW: Empire Strikes Back
5 - Metropolis
4 - 12 Monkeys
3 - Blade Runner
2 - Brazil
1 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cowboykurtis

Alien is a horror film - a monster movie in space.

Their is a misconception that any film which takes place in the future and/or in space is a sci-fi film.

It's like calling TIMELINE a historical fiction.
...your excuses are your own...

Gamblour.

Damn, now that you've brought up this question, I've totally lost the meaning of "sci-fi".
WWPTAD?

picolas

if the movie involves science we've never used/seen before or haven't developed yet it's a sci-fi.

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtisAlien is a horror film - a monster movie in space.

Their is a misconception that any film which takes place in the future and/or in space is a sci-fi film.

It's like calling TIMELINE a historical fiction.
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both.  what about the cryosleep? or the android?  thats sci-fi.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.