Oppenheimer

Started by WorldForgot, March 22, 2022, 09:20:27 PM

WorldForgot

Nolan's next film - It is based on American Prometheus, a biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer written by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. I highly recommend this book, it's a breeze to read because Oppenheimer's life was a privileged one that lead to extravagant adventures, from his home marked by his mother's Picasso's, childhood at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School, to an adolescence where he left craters in science circles worldwide. His brother was an active member of the Communist Party. Robert, meanwhile, would attend meetings and help write pamphlets, but always paid his dues in secret.

After the formulation of war technology - the US Carthyite period would come down on Oppenheimer and ostracize him from the country he loves.

Its cast iz immense

Professor Kip Thorne, who developed the science of Interstellar and (in a fantastical sense) TENET at a memorial for Oppenheimer, 2019:

RudyBlatnoyd

I'm looking forward to this. I can't imagine it'll be a straightforward high-gloss biopic. It's a fascinating and terrifying (and all-too-timely) story. I suspect its gruesome subject matter and the renewed nuclear threat will harm its commercial prospects, though. 

I know it's become fashionable to trash Nolan – and I certainly wouldn't say that none of the criticism is earned – but as contemporary blockbuster filmmakers go personally I'd much rather have his flawed but intermittently inspired and often quite daring movies than the artistically much more conservative and plodding Villeneuve.

WorldForgot

HACKANUT

Drenk

Instead of simply doing a movie about the guy who invented the clock...
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: Drenk on July 28, 2022, 10:42:15 AMInstead of simply doing a movie about the guy who invented the clock...

That man's name? Dr Clockenstein.

WorldForgot

Christopher Nolan Recreated a Nuclear Weapon Explosion Without CGI, Developed New IMAX Film for 'Oppenheimer': 'A Huge Challenge'

QuoteChristopher Nolan revealed to Total Film magazine that he recreated the first nuclear weapon detonation without CGI effects as part of the production for his new movie "Oppenehimer." The film stars longtime Nolan collaborator Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer, a leading figure of the Manhattan Project and the creation the atomic bomb during World War II. Nolan has always favored practical effects over VFX (he even blew up a real Boeing 747 for "Tenet"), so it's no surprise he went the practical route when it came time to film a nuclear weapon explosion.

"I think recreating the Trinity test [the first nuclear weapon detonation, in New Mexico] without the use of computer graphics was a huge challenge to take on," Nolan said. "Andrew Jackson — my visual effects supervisor, I got him on board early on — was looking at how we could do a lot of the visual elements of the film practically, from representing quantum dynamics and quantum physics to the Trinity test itself, to recreating, with my team, Los Alamos up on a mesa in New Mexico in extraordinary weather, a lot of which was needed for the film, in terms of the very harsh conditions out there — there were huge practical challenges."

"Forget any preconceived notions you might have about a historical biopic. "It's a story of immense scope and scale," says Nolan. "And one of the most challenging projects I've ever taken on in terms of the scale of it, and in terms of encountering the breadth of Oppenheimer's story. There were big, logistical challenges, big practical challenges. But I had an extraordinary crew, and they really stepped up. It will be a while before we're finished. But certainly as I watch the results come in, and as I'm putting the film together, I'm thrilled with what my team has been able to achieve."

"We're trying to tell the story of somebody's life, and their journey through personal history and larger-scale history," Nolan says. "And so the subjectivity of the story is everything to me. We want to view these events through Oppenheimer's eyes. And that was the challenge for Cillian that I set him, to take us on this journey; that was the challenge for Hoyte van Hoytema, my designer, my whole team: how do we view this extraordinary story through the eyes of the person who was at the heart of it? All of our decisions on how to make this film were based on that real premise.""

RudyBlatnoyd

Intrigued to know how one recreates an atomic explosion without recourse to CGI or detonating an actual bomb... lots of clever miniature work?

Judging by the report and the photos, this has real 'feel-bad movie of the summer' energy to it – I'm a fan already.

RudyBlatnoyd

I also think it's rather admirable of Nolan to use his platform to draw attention to the sheer insanity of nuclear proliferation. People ought to be frightened out of their complacency about this issue (although I suspect most folks will head off to see the Barbie film instead).

WorldForgot

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on December 12, 2022, 04:21:21 PMI also think it's rather admirable of Nolan to use his platform to draw attention to the sheer insanity of nuclear proliferation. People ought to be frightened out of their complacency about this issue (although I suspect most folks will head off to see the Barbie film instead).

I agree.
It baffles me how the "responsibility of art-world toward indictment of arms race money" angle of TENET goes completely ignored in almost all anaylsis of that movie's "intention." One of Nolan's movies created a tragedy of death within a venue. TENET opens with the assault of an art venue and all of us (its audience) in danger no matter our remove from the theatre of war.

WorldForgot

RudyBlatnoyd

Just seen the leaked trailer for this and it does honestly look like it could be sensational: a mix of Spielbergian awe (with an undercurrent of dread) and SFX reminiscent of the work of Douglas Trumbull.

WorldForgot

RudyBlatnoyd

Good trailer, but the Imax one is better – it is much more dread-filled and intense. Hope they upload an official version of that too, at some point.

HACKANUT

This gives me hope that it's filled with lots of "men at work" type shit a la TWBB. Hopefully not a lot of dialogue since Nolan just never pulls off words IMO.
Those Doug Trumbull looking effects are pretty gorgeous too. Sure to be a highlight.