The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Started by MacGuffin, June 12, 2006, 05:02:02 PM

MacGuffin

Welcome to the 'Boon' town
Helmer Duffy hoping to jumpstart 'Saints' sequel
Source: Variety

Writer-director Troy Duffy, momentarily famous for his low-budget actioner "The Boondock Saints" -- and a deal that was supposed to include the purchase of the bar where he poured drinks -- is ready for another round.

Duffy has mobilized script and cast for a "Saints" sequel, which Fox is ready to finance after it did brisk DVD biz on the first film, about two Irish brothers who wipe out the Boston underworld.

Though Duffy's movie grossed just $30,471 in a blink-and-you-missed-it theatrical run, "Saints" reached cult status on DVD, grossing $30 million, even before a recent director's cut edition arrived.

For Duffy, it's been a crash course in Hollywood dealmaking and protocol. Complications arose at almost every turn.

Harvey Weinstein had pledged to purchase Duffy's Hollywood bar, greenlight subsequent films and back a record deal, but those plans fell through after casting clashes with the filmmaker.

Eventually Elie Samaha financed the "Saints" pic. But that led to further complications.

Duffy says not only hasn't Samaha paid residuals, lawyers for his bankrupt Franchise Pictures are holding up the sequel in court.

While he waits for the sequel to be unblocked, Duffy is again writing scripts, aimed at his young male "Saints" following.

First to be shopped will be "The Good King," a comic fable about a debauched English ruler.

"I'm content to build my career brick by brick, but it is frustrating to wake up every morning and think how my movie is putting some guy's kids through college, while everybody who worked on it got nothing," Duffy says.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Reedus talks Boondock Saints Part Deux
Source: Moviehole

Norman 'seems to have outlived the mediocrity that was Gossip' Reedus talked to Suicide Girls today, about the status of "Boondock Saints 2". Well, kinda - - someone was holding a gun to his head, threatening to punch the trigger if he revealed anything more than the possibility factor.

"I'm not really at liberty to say what the status of Boondock Saints [2] is but I can say it's good for the sequel. There was a whole lot of stuff that needed to get cleared up and he got it cleared up, which is great.

Reedus says it'll be him and Sean Patrick Flannery again. "[And] We're going to introduce a third saint who is helping us. I think [David Della] Rocco is coming back in a dream flashback. The script is really great. I know Troy [Duffy] has done a lot of changes on it but the last script I read was amazing."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'The Boondock Saints' Sequel Actually Happening?
Source: Cinematical

There has been talk of a sequel to Boondock Saints since 2002. But if Troy Duffy is to be believed, it's going to actually start filming this August. This past St. Patrick's Day Duffy claimed, via his YouTube account, that Boondock Saints: All Saints Day had been given a green light by Sony. The video was removed within hours, and the news was never confirmed elsewhere.

But Duffy isn't daunted. He gave a long interview to Washington D.C.'s WJFK insisting that, barring a SAG strike, filming would indeed begin in August. He actually gave away the entire plot, so no one actually needs to go see it should it actually be made. The film will find the brothers in retirement in Ireland, living off the land, until a priest is murdered in Boston. They're framed for the murder, and they quickly fly off to America to seek retribution. Lest you think it's all wishful thinking on the part of Duffy, Geeks of Doom got their hands on the first production diary.

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/07/19/boondock-saints-2-plot-details-production-diary/

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Troy Duffy back to direct 'Boondock Saints II'
Principal photography has begun in Toronto
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Principal photography has started in Toronto on Troy Duffy's sequel to the 2000 indie he helmed and wrote, "The Boondock Saints."

Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus are reprising their roles as the crusading fraternal twins Connor and Murphy MacManus, who seek revenge on the tough Boston underworld. Billy Connolly is also returning as Poppa M.

Chris Brinker and Don Carmody are producing with Lloyd Segan and Rob Fried executive producing.

"It's a joy and a longtime coming to be bringing such an enormously talented group of people back together again," Duffy said of the project.

Brinker said the script is well-crafted and will satisfy "Boondock" fans.

"We expect this film to be a truly intense, humorous and satisfying film for all those who have looked forward to the sequel for so long," Brinker said.

Rounding out the cast are Clifton Collins, Julie Benz, David Della Rocco, Bob Marley, Brian Mahoney and David Ferry.

Duffy became well known in Hollywood for selling his "Boondock" screenplay -- which he penned while bartending in Hollywood -- to Harvey Weinstein for a high six-figure deal that would also allow him to direct and produce the soundtrack with his band, The Brood. The project was set up on a $15 million budget, but later dropped.

The first "Boondock," which starred Willem Dafoe, was later made for $6 million and grossed $30,471 domestic. The project was chronicled in the 2003 documentary "Overnight," which told the tale of Duffy's rags-to-riches-to-rags saga.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

I was having a really fantastic day until this thread came into my life. I wish that fat fuck was still sitting on chair in L.A. checking ID's of the date rapists that enjoyed his first opus.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

True story, i was getting ready to watch the trailer as soon as the television went to commercial, and i read the synopsis on the side while waiting, i ended up just closing the tab.  Should'a known.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

If there is anything we can all agree on, it's boycotting this movie. I say we start a meaningless campaign to do so and put little energy into it besides making some funny avatars (or something).

Neil

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on September 02, 2009, 10:33:53 PM
If there is anything we can all agree on, it's boycotting this movie. I say we start a meaningless campaign to do so and put little energy into it besides making some funny avatars (or something).

I think i'm actually going to lose sleep over the fact that i almost typed this exact thing!!! But then i figured that would almost be condoning duffy's actions.  Let's just pretend this never happened.

Boonlock this shit.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

The only thing that could make this better is if it were in 3D.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on September 03, 2009, 12:07:01 AM
The only thing that could make this better is if it were in 3D.

No shit, because it's probably already a remake of the first one.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Can we celebrate this coming out by doing a Boondock Saints marathon?

Also: I'm just kidding, but is anyone else up for coordinating a Halloween horror fest throughout October like way back when?  I'd totally be down... that is, if chat still works.

Anyone?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

I'm actually watching this now. I have no idea where the plot is going yet and I don't care, but it's funny because every scene starts out semi normal where people are talking in standard fashion to forward the plot, but soon a dick joke is said and the characters start jousting with each other in who can be more graphic and out match the other in ridiculousness. It's like Troy Duffy wrote this film with his pants down. He starts out writing fine but then he sees his small dick and so a dick joke appears on the page and he has to fight the joke that is his dick by talking the characters to death with shit he would say at a bar if someone disagreed with him on anything because everything is a challenge to his dick.

Even dumb humor can be funny in the right light, but the righteousness of this movie is annoying. If people pointed out the terrorist nature of the Boondock Saints themselves, that would be cool.