Solaris DVD

Started by modage, July 28, 2003, 11:26:11 PM

Sal

I never saw the original, and didn't like the remake, so my complaints have nothing to do with comparisons. I wanted to love the movie, but all the actors were so despondant that it left me feeling cold and distanced from what was going on.   Part of it was in how the story was told, devilishly withholding information (a good thing, mind you), but most of it comes from the acting.  Particularly the scenes that jump the viewer into a context they're not familiar with.  It worked fine for the telling of the story, but it never brought me closer to the characters.

filmcritic

I really like the commentary with James Cameron and Stephen Soderbergh. The two making-ofs are okay and the rest of the DVD doesn't offer too much more. But the commentary alone is in a class of itself.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

NEON MERCURY

Man...bought this the other day and have to say was impressed ...there really   is something about atmospheric film sthat get me..I like them alot and especially when done well like Solaris..THIS TRANSFER IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! which helps  a film like this(i.e.bringing out the atmosphere)  They way he shot this film really sucks the viewer in (i know that sounds cliched )  but it is true....You feel drunk watching this it is breath-taking really!... I think this films plays better on  DVD rather than the big screen...(even though i am biaseb b/c i missed this one in theatres)....but rather I have a gut feeling about this one...  Oh...and have not seen featurettes yet nor listen to the comm. track but .....I like the cover they used for the DVD.........end of 2 cents

forgot: the music of this film is key ...NICE..................

Pozer

I'm a huge fan of the music in Solaris. I cant' explain why I was thinking this, but I thought this soundtrack would have worked perfectly with 28 days later.
Try to picture it the next time you watch it.
or don't, it could go boy ways really.

Dr. Duke

I agree. A great disc (really like the commentaries) for a really good film. BUT it doesn't hold a candle to the original. it's like an abbreviated version of the original. For those that can't sit through the first ones running time, here's the Cliff Notes.
I want you to hold it between your knees.

picolas

finally saw it. (wanted to see it in theatres but it was only showing in a place far off).

this movie is amazing. reminds me a lot of the film sphere should or could have been, but better. and it does what Alien did that i love so much. it treats the sci-fi world as nothing special...the technology doesn't make people act any differently then they would without it...it's real. and every long silence is a perfect silence. i felt like i was basking in those silences. the soundtrack was great, and it's possibly Soderbergh's best looking movie. probably my favourite of his, too.

the only drawback about it to me is the use of Jeremy Davies, (one of my least favourite actors and a big part of why i disliked CQ..), but he's kind of a minor quibble that gets blocked out by everything else..

i'm probably going to buy this sucker. love it to pieces.

Pozer

nice post
except for the Jeremy Davies part, I haveta say. I love that guy. made me laugh every scene he was in....yeeeah....

Ghostboy

Finally picked it up...I watched the movie, and it's even better than I remember. I've made it halfway through the commentary so far, and it's great. The trailers reminded me of how awful the ad campaign for this movie was. The docs are crap, for the most part. The screenplay, however, is great -- I'm so glad they included this. I wish there was more than one draft, it would have been interesting to watch it evolve.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: GhostboyThe screenplay, however, is great -- I'm so glad they included this.

yeah..i know ..usually i don't read the screenplays includud on some dvds but for this one i did and .was really great.......

Alethia

i thought the DVD was okay.  ghostboy's right, the doc's pretty much suck, but the commentary was one of the better ones ive heard.  i remember the only ad i liked for this film (not included on this disc) was a short TV spot i saw only once, I've forgotton most of it now, but i remember it got me excited as fucking hell to see this film.

this movie just kicks ass tho, so I'm not gonna complain too much about it.  

i don't like the cover, tho.......

mr_boz

Quote from: NEON MERCURYMan...bought this the other day and have to say was impressed ...there really   is something about atmospheric film sthat get me..I like them alot and especially when done well like Solaris..THIS TRANSFER IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! .

forgot: the music of this film is key ...NICE..................

i couldn't agree with you more.  i just picked up the DVD yesterday and watched it for the first time.  the transfer is absolutely gorgeous.  i'm watching it on a 4:3 set, but it's a 43" toshiba hdtv and i almost felt like i was watching film.  it's simply a beautiful DVD, and a very intriguing film.

i totally agree that the music is great too.

-ccb

tpfkabi

i rented it.....my thoughts:

Jeremy Davies reminds me a lot of the lead actor in Office Space........what's his name?

the music at the beginning reminded me of the water music on Donkey Kong Country on Super NES.........weird, i hadn't thought of that game in forever

really nice look.........i didn't care to see Clooney's butt, why not the actress??

did anyone get the Tarkovsky Criterion?
how do the two films compare?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.