Ringwald Mulls 'Sixteen Candles' Sequel

Started by Myxo, June 06, 2005, 04:16:39 PM

Myxo

LOS ANGELES - Could it be time to put more candles on the cake? Molly Ringwald said she's in discussions to make a sequel to "Sixteen Candles," the 1984 movie about the obstacles and embarrassments a teen girl faces on her birthday.

The film, directed by John Hughes, shot Ringwald to teen stardom, but she hasn't appeared in a major role in many years. She said she's been appearing in theater, small TV and film parts and raising a daughter, now 18 months old.

Ringwald, 37, said she had been approached repeatedly about doing a sequel, but recently read a script that she liked and wanted to star in the movie.

"I've turned it down for years. I couldn't see how it would work," she said. "Now, it seems right."

Ringwald was reunited at the MTV Movie Awards on Saturday with     Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and Paul Gleason, three of her co-stars in 1985's "The Breakfast Club," directed by John Hughes.

Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez didn't show.

"They're in Africa with Dave Chappelle," Hall joked.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

I was thinking it would be about her daughter turning 16.
But whatever.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.