Se7en

Started by bonanzataz, February 08, 2003, 10:43:19 PM

Kev Hoffman

Quote from: punchdrunk23I do think Fincher deserves a string on this board because Seven was by far his best fucking movie.

What are you trying to say?  If he has a great movie in your opinion he should be allowed space?

Well, I may be new around here, and not quite informed about how directors get their own forum space, but I must say that just because he had 1 or 2 great movies, he isn't as deserving as some directors to have his own forum space.  IMO of course.

Recce

What's with all the Fincher sullying. He has made some excellent films and we can't just take him off the list cause he hasn't made as many films as others. No one's bitching about Tarantino, and he's made four, so far. And one of them hasn't been released yet. I hate directors who just pop out films every 6 months(Sodderbergh). At least Fincher isn't afraid to stick with a film until its done right.
As for Fight Club, I think it had a great message. I know its easy to bitch about society and how it controls us all and we're all materialistic weasels, but they took that and made it into a film that was both entertaining and thought provoking. It's one of my top ten movies of all time.
'The Game' was also an excellent film. It could easily have been pretty boring, but he pulled it off masterfully. And here we are bitching about how he shouldn't be on the list. Why the hell is Sodderbergh on the list?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cine

:?

That was quite ignorant and you've forced me to reply even though I could give two shits to defend Soderbergh around here anyway. You said "And one of them hasn't been released yet. I hate directors who just pop out films every 6 months(Sodderbergh). At least Fincher isn't afraid to stick with a film until its done right." Huh? So wait.. you hate a director who makes films often? Wouldn't the average human respect a guy who works his ass off to pull a stunt like that? You know, directing isn't the easiest job in the world. Anyway, my main problem was with your "Why the hell is Sodderbergh on the list?"  Why the hell wouldn't he be?  He's won numerous directing awards for "Traffic" including an Oscar.. numerous directing awards/nominations for "Erin Brockovich", and "Sex, Lies, and Videotape", which he won the Golden Palm for (Do you know where they award that, Recce?).. now I had to look up what Fincher has won since I had no clue but I figured not much. What has he won? An International Fantasy Film Award for "Se7en" and he was nominated for Best Director by the OFCS for "Fight Club." That's all she wrote. Soderbergh has made several very good movies and some even better than that. Let's see, he started out with "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" then after making "Kafka" made "King of the Hill." After that he did "Underneath", "Gray's Anatomy", "Schizopolis", "Out of Sight", "The Limey", "Erin Brockovich", "Traffic", "Ocean's Eleven", went very experimental with "Full Frontal", then did a tribute to Tarkovsky by remaking "Solaris." Quite the lineup there, wouldn't you say? Now answer me this: Why the hell wouldn't he be on the list? Watch those movies and get back to me.

chainsmoking insomniac

Recce, thanks for reminding me-The Game, right up there with Seven.
And I don't think it's right to put a director down just because he hasn't made as many movies.  Quality over quantity-that's what I always say :)
I also don't think it's right to put a director down because he's made alot of films. You've gotta have respect for someone who works his/her ass off. And don't get me wrong- I'm not putting down Fight Club. I think it was a very ambitious film.....I just think it got a bit off center as it progressed, that's all. You're not going to make perfect films all the time, I think we can all agree on that. Later.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

cine

Quote from: punchdrunk23I'm not putting down Fight Club. I think it was a very ambitious film.....I just think it got a bit off center as it progressed, that's all.

Oh so there IS somebody who shares the same opinion as I do?  Good.  :o  The gang-raping was getting a little tedious.

Pedro

Quote from: Cinephile:?

That was quite ignorant and you've forced me to reply even though I could give two shits to defend Soderbergh around here anyway. You said "And one of them hasn't been released yet. I hate directors who just pop out films every 6 months(Sodderbergh). At least Fincher isn't afraid to stick with a film until its done right." Huh? So wait.. you hate a director who makes films often? Wouldn't the average human respect a guy who works his ass off to pull a stunt like that? You know, directing isn't the easiest job in the world. Anyway, my main problem was with your "Why the hell is Sodderbergh on the list?"  Why the hell wouldn't he be?  He's won numerous directing awards for "Traffic" including an Oscar.. numerous directing awards/nominations for "Erin Brockovich", and "Sex, Lies, and Videotape", which he won the Golden Palm for (Do you know where they award that, Recce?).. now I had to look up what Fincher has won since I had no clue but I figured not much. What has he won? An International Fantasy Film Award for "Se7en" and he was nominated for Best Director by the OFCS for "Fight Club." That's all she wrote. Soderbergh has made several very good movies and some even better than that. Let's see, he started out with "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" then after making "Kafka" made "King of the Hill." After that he did "Underneath", "Gray's Anatomy", "Schizopolis", "Out of Sight", "The Limey", "Erin Brockovich", "Traffic", "Ocean's Eleven", went very experimental with "Full Frontal", then did a tribute to Tarkovsky by remaking "Solaris." Quite the lineup there, wouldn't you say? Now answer me this: Why the hell wouldn't he be on the list? Watch those movies and get back to me.

Calm down, seriously...This is like watching 6 year olds yell at eachother, except with bigger words.  Now about this whole "he should be on here and he shouldn't have his own forum" thing.  Why does it matter if someone has a spot or not?  You can just as easily discuss him elsewhere if he didn't.  I mean that's what the Directors Chair and Everything Else Cinema forums are for...Oh, but I don't want a fight...I just want to see some of these end.

Plus we all know that we're here to talk about Paul Thomas Anderson

BonBon85

Quote from: Pedro the WombatNow about this whole "he should be on here and he shouldn't have his own forum" thing.  Why does it matter if someone has a spot or not?  You can just as easily discuss him elsewhere if he didn't.  I mean that's what the Directors Chair and Everything Else Cinema forums are for...Oh, but I don't want a fight...I just want to see some of these end.

I agree with that. And this way if you don't like one of the directors you can just ignore that section. Some directors are going to spawn more discussion than others, (i.e. PTA) so they get their own place to keep from crowding out the other directors in the director's chair forum.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileThat was quite ignorant and you've forced me to reply even though I could give two shits

No one is forcing you to reply... you are the master of your own destiny... the creator of your own emotions.... just remember that.

Recce

Quote from: Cinephile:?

No reason to get snippy, dude. I brought up Sodderbergh because I find that some of his more recent films are pretty hollow. He's been trying to use different effects and styles to make them seem cool and stylish, but in the end, it seems like he jsut sat there trying to think of a something different to do, regardless if it works or not. It doesn't sit well with me. Fincher, however, will dedicate himself to a film until its done right. And you're asking why he's on the list? THAT's ignorant, dude. If you ask me, Fincher deserves to be on the list more then Sodderbergh. I don't wanna completely rag on Sodderbergh, however. I did like his earlier work (i.e. Out of Sight, The Limey, etc.)
And I didn't mean I hate all directors who make too many films. The way I see it, if a director is working on a film and he has another one lined up to start as soon as he's finished, he just might cut a few corners and not spend as much time in post as he would if he had nothing planned. Quality over quantity, dude.
And just because someone doesn't win a bunch of awards doesn't mean he's a bad director. I'm sure we can all think of quite a few overlooked directors.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

Duck Sauce

Recce only shows up when its time to bash Soderbergh.  :wink:

Gold Trumpet

I think bashing of Soderbergh is fine and deserving most of the times because the guy is overrated completely. I want to watch the original Traffik to see how much in way of filmmaking did he take from that to his movie, Traffic. I usually post though when I see it relevant to bash someone, so I could be looked at the same as well.

~rougerum

Recce

I know I'm tough on Sodderbergh, but he has pissed me off as of late. I honestly do love his earlier work, though. 'Out of Sight' is one of my favorite movies of all time.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: CinephileI don't think Fincher belongs on the list of directors on xixax. He doesn't start many topical discussions because he only has a few good films (I don't think "Fight Club" was one of them, and I'm aware I'm in the minority

I don't think Fight Club was a great film either, but I thought the first hour(if you take away the very first scene with a gun to his head) of that movie was incredibly promising and amazing. I thought the film was going to be about the Ed Norton character finding inner peace through violence and I thought that was a really cool concept.

But then once it got into the entire plan mayhem scheme with that whole army and all the explosions that just killed it for me. And the twist at the end was kind of lame for me.

budgie

So... what is a gyrosphere, please?
And was I right in seeing a 'Wescam operator' in the credits? If so, what is that?

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieSo... what is a gyrosphere, please?

The gyroshere is a stabilizing mount that keeps the camera from shaking when filming, usually when it's attached to a helicopter (see below).

Quote from: budgieAnd was I right in seeing a 'Wescam operator' in the credits? If so, what is that?

The Wescam is the camera that is mounted to a helicopter or place, etc. So the operator is the cameraman shooting the footage while airborne.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks