You Don't Know Jack

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2009, 09:50:11 PM

MacGuffin

Pacino to play Kevorkian in HBO pic
Barry Levinson to direct project
Source: Variety

Al Pacino has been set to star in an HBO telepic about right-to-die champion Dr. Jack Kevorkian, to be helmed by Barry Levinson.

Pic will revolve around Kevorkian's construction of his infamous "Mercy Machine," his first assisted suicide in the early 1990s and the resulting media frenzy. Kevorkian was convicted of second-degree murder in 1999 as a result of his involvement in an assisted suicide that was videotaped and later shown on TV. He was released from prison in 2007.

Script was penned by Adam Mazer. Levinson, Steve Lee Jones, Lydia Dean Pilcher and Glenn Rigberg will exec produce. It's still unclear if Kevorkian, who last year mounted an unsuccessful bid for Congress in Michigan, will be involved in the production.

Jones has been shepherding the Kevorkian biopic for about five years, after he received the manuscript for a book about Kevorkian, "Between the Dying and the Dead," written by Harry Wylie and Neal Nicol, longtime friends and associates of the activist nicknamed "Dr. Death" by the media.

Jones wrapped up the pic rights to the Wylie-Nicol book and then began shopping the project as a feature. It finally landed at HBO in 2007, where it piqued the interest of Pacino and Levinson.

In addition to the Kevorkian saga, Jones is at work on a biopic of John Z. DeLorean with producer David Permut (Daily Variety, March 4). He also just completed work on a feature-length docu on Kevorkian's bid for Congress.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Awesome. A left field character role for Pacino, but could be a People I Know level performance. Something that shows his versatility and range.

Alexandro

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on May 26, 2009, 09:58:52 PM
Awesome. A left field character role for Pacino, but could be a People I Know level performance. Something that shows his versatility and range.

levinson is the one who worries me. last time i liked one film from him was "wag the dog", 12 years ago.

mmmm from what I remember, People I Know was really bad, wasn't it?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on May 26, 2009, 10:39:11 PM
mmmm from what I remember, People I Know was really bad, wasn't it?

Comment on the film seems irrelevant. It was based around Pacino's character and his performance is one of his best. Technically the film is long winded with the scenes, but I consider the film overall to be good because it exists to house all of Pacino's acting talents. I know I'm commenting on a film seen by few people, but it's a performance film so I reserve judgement on it for those qualities. Reminds of Robert Duvall's The Apostle; a film that begged for comment on the acting before anything else.

Barry Levinson doesn't worry me. As the article says, the script has been around and looking for a home for a while. Levinson has come in and will just guide the script to production. He won't make or break it. I believe Pacino and the script itself will.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks