Glass Onion (Rian Johnson)

Started by Robyn, June 13, 2022, 01:00:11 PM

WorldForgot

Rewatching it, I dont mind the
Spoiler: ShowHide
obfuscation during the first half
anymore. The film iz a sleight-of-hand fugue.

polkablues

Rewatching Knives Out after watching Glass Onion a couple days ago, and setting aside the other relative qualities of the films, it's wild the extent to which the first one looks like a real movie and the second one looks like a TV show.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

Quote from: polkablues on December 28, 2022, 09:54:32 PMRewatching Knives Out after watching Glass Onion a couple days ago, and setting aside the other relative qualities of the films, it's wild the extent to which the first one looks like a real movie and the second one looks like a TV show.

I noticed it. But that's mostly due to the lighting, no? Glass Onion seems to also have been shot on film but that's not visible. Even The Last Jedi had more texture.
Ascension.

polkablues

Everything from the flat lighting to the color grading to the lack of grain to the shot composition to the production design. Knives Out is so rich and lush and textural and intricate and cinematic, it's almost hard to believe Glass Onion was made by the same director and cinematographer.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Achpi

the movie felt like ideas turned into a first draft way too quickly. and then a first draft turned into a shooting draft way too quickly. and then a first edit turned into a movie way too quickly.

there's some good stuff in there, spoiled by the very obvious lack of work and lack of time to do things right. rian got paid 50m$ for this, netflix should be able to find an executive to say useful things to filmmakers along with the checks.

WorldForgot

https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1606751291136671746

https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1606751853823549442

Lighting design thread describing the meticulous work that went into the sweeping lighthouse effect for its dramatic midpoint turn. Yedlin always provides valuable resources for aspiring cinematographers.