Where do you write and what do you use?

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 11:27:21 PM

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on April 29, 2020, 06:43:49 PM

I just discovered this video of Alex Garland describing his writing process, and he has a technique for writing his first drafts that I'm 100% stealing from here on out.

He starts by writing out his story beats, line by line, one or two sentences each, directly in his script file. When he has the full story bullet-pointed out like that, he goes back to the top and starts writing the actual script above it, deleting each bullet point as he completes that beat in the script, until he has a finished first draft.

I love the "checking off your to-do list" aspect of this process. Much more tactile and psychologically satisfying than just having an outline open in a separate window that you're checking in on every once in a while. Plus, as you're writing, you always have the next beat of your story waiting for you just a couple lines below your cursor, helping make the scene work very goal-oriented in a way that really speaks to me.

Of course, this is only useful for first drafts, not for rewrites, which is what I'm currently procrastinating about. I'll have to find a different lifehack to get myself through that part.

Cool! I feel like I'd need to see Ex Machina before listening though, which I haven't. So thanks for the quick breakdown.

This is my favorite pen right now, the Pilot G2- 07. It was only recently that I realized Pilot releases different ink strengths under the name G2. So, I was writing with one pen and it felt awesome then I'd get another and wonder why it was so weak. Glad I've narrowed it down now. Anyone got a favorite pen?

Sleepless

I'm a Pilot G-2 man myself, but my choice is the 0.38
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

Haha, that's the one I can't stand! They dry up so quick

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

At least yours sounds more like a gun. Maybe I'll switch, come to think of it.