Oliver Stone's American Psycho

Started by ©brad, February 22, 2003, 08:45:41 AM

©brad

Originally Stone was going to direct American Psycho with a different script by Matthew Markwalder based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but you can read this version of the script here. It's a really good read, would have like to seen this version. It's a pretty bizarre website...

http://www.whereisoliver.com

ReelHotGames

I started thinking that it would be cool for some indie fans to pick up their cameras and start making "Quentin Tarantino's The Blues Brothers" or "Francis Ford Coppola's Boogie Nights" you know do scenes from films as if they had been made by other directors, see what could have been done stylistaclly different, who would they have cast etc...

I have a board game I created called "Tinseltown" where each player is a movie studio, at the start fo the game you have studio funds, you draw 3 screenplays from the screenplay cards, and you put them into development, you must attach "talent" cards to the screenplay in order to release it, since it's all random card drawing it's a hoot.

You get to release things like "Abbot and Costello in Sex, Lies and Videotape" directed by Roger Corman, sometimes you have the luckof the draw and get people who might be good for a screenplay you've got and sometimes it's a stinker, which makes it more fun!

But while I love the idea, I also hate that technology alsmost makes it possible to have Humphrey Bogart starring alongside Vin Diesel. While I love the idea of "what if" I want it to remain in fun, not fact.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

life_boy

I think Gus Van Sant does something like this before he releases a feature film.

©brad

Quote from: michael alessandroI started thinking that it would be cool for some indie fans to pick up their cameras and start making "Quentin Tarantino's The Blues Brothers" or "Francis Ford Coppola's Boogie Nights" you know do scenes from films as if they had been made by other directors, see what could have been done stylistaclly different, who would they have cast etc...

I have a board game I created called "Tinseltown" where each player is a movie studio, at the start fo the game you have studio funds, you draw 3 screenplays from the screenplay cards, and you put them into development, you must attach "talent" cards to the screenplay in order to release it, since it's all random card drawing it's a hoot.

You get to release things like "Abbot and Costello in Sex, Lies and Videotape" directed by Roger Corman, sometimes you have the luckof the draw and get people who might be good for a screenplay you've got and sometimes it's a stinker, which makes it more fun!

But while I love the idea, I also hate that technology alsmost makes it possible to have Humphrey Bogart starring alongside Vin Diesel. While I love the idea of "what if" I want it to remain in fun, not fact.

That sounds pretty cool. Anyway we could set it up online and all play?

ReelHotGames

I'm actually working on it, when I get the engine going I'll let everyone know
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Pwaybloe

Quote from: cbrad4dOriginally Stone was going to direct American Psycho with a different script by Matthew Markwalder based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but you can read this version of the script here. It's a really good read, would have like to seen this version. It's a pretty bizarre website...

http://www.whereisoliver.com

Yeah, I read that a while back.  I can't imagine what Stone would have done with the adaptation, because the book is nuts (hence the title).  No doubt it would have been infinitely better than the present version on film.

Apparently Stone is a big BEE fan, and according to Avary's website, he loved "Rules of Attraction."

©brad

bonanzataz

Just curious. What's wrong with the current American Psycho? I really like it. I thought it was funny, clever, scary, and well directed. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, I just want to know why you didn't like it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

i liked it too. but i cant wait to read this oliver stone version.

bonanzataz

I didn't mean what was wrong with it compared to Oliver Stone's script. I meant what was wrong with it at all? There seems to be a lot of negatgive attitudes towards it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

I don't know, I thought it was great too.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: bonanzatazJust curious. What's wrong with the current American Psycho? I really like it. I thought it was funny, clever, scary, and well directed. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, I just want to know why you didn't like it.

I liked the movie too, but I think that Oliver Stone would have done a much better job with the material.  His movies are very surreal, and I just think that style would have been more appropriate.  Has anyone read the book?

Gold Trumpet

Well, my negative attitudes toward it and why I find it a very bad movie is that through out the movie, you get the voice over of this guy saying everything he feels as he kills. That's ridiculously dumb as it gives no room for interpretation on the actions and motives of that guy. The movie gives it to us as we just feel everything it says and then it tries to be clever with the ending, when it is just bad ploy to further the insult that we can't do a good interpretation of this guy and why he kills. Thing is though, is that there was so little to the story that they figured they need to do this to make a passable movie.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

I dont know, Stone could have easily turned it into NBK 2