worst theater experience.

Started by NEON MERCURY, February 23, 2004, 10:12:38 PM

polkablues

Seriously. Just sneak some shit in under your jacket like a goddamn grown-up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Yong Hyun Kim Accused Of Hitting Noisy Kid At Seattle Suburb Movie Theater
AP

SEATTLE — A Washington state man fed up with a group of noisy moviegoers behind him stepped over the seat and punched a 10-year-old boy in the face.

The man, who told police he thought the person he hit was a grown man, was watching "Titanic" in 3-D with his girlfriend and had asked the people sitting behind to quiet down and stop throwing popcorn, but they laughed at him, he said.

"I got so mad that it just happened," Yong Hyun Kim, 21, told police who arrested him the night of April 11 at the AMC Kent Station 14, in Kent, a south Seattle suburb.

The 10-year-old lost a tooth and had a bloody nose in the confrontation.

Kim spent a night in the Kent city jail and appeared April 12 in King County District Court and was released, said county prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe.

Kim was charged May 16 with second-degree assault. If convicted, he could be sentenced to three to nine months in jail, Donohoe said Tuesday.

The Auburn man will be arraigned May 31 at the Regional Justice Center in Kent.

A phone number for Kim could not be found, and it's unclear whether he has a lawyer.

The boy, identified in the police report as KJJ, was at the theater with three friends. They met police in the lobby. They said they were watching the movie and talking when Kim told them to be quiet. They quieted down, but KJJ says when he whispered something, Kim jumped over the seat, threw an iced drink at them and punched KJJ in the face.

Kim said something to the effect of "You know what, I paid a lot of money to see this movie," the police report said.

Kim told police the boys' behavior was worse than talking. He says they were hitting him and his girlfriend with popcorn, running back and forth in the aisle and bumping him with their arms.

"At one point Yong stepped over the seats and confronted the subjects behind him," the police report says. "Yong said he was talking to the subjects when they started laughing at him. Yong said he became so angry and swung his arm at one of the subjects and him in the face."

A manager at the theater referred a request for comment to a corporate spokesman.

"We strongly encourage guests to be respectful of their fellow moviegoers, and to report any disturbance to an AMC associate, so that we may handle it directly," AMC Theatres spokesman Ryan Noonan said in a statement. "The safety and security of our guests and associates is important to us, and we want everyone to enjoy the moviegoing experience."
Noonan said the theater's management told him no one had complained about audience behavior prior to the incident.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Champion Souza

Ninjas keep patrons in line at London cinema

A British movie theatre has come up with a unique solution to the problem of patrons using their cell phones, throwing popcorn, or having conversations during a movie: ninjas.

The Prince Charles Cinema, in London's West End, has teamed up with Morphsuits, a Scottish company that produces skin-tight, head-to-toe zentai suits, to create their own volunteer movie theatre "ninja taskforce."

These 'theatre ninjas' aren't actually trained in the dark arts of Ninjutsu - they're simply film lovers who provide their services in exchange for free admission to films.

Wearing black bodysuits, these volunteers roam the theatre in stealth silence during films, pouncing on anyone who may be disturbing other patrons with a warning: "Shhhhhh."

Recent Prince Charles cinema patron Abdul Stagg told slashfilm.com that his experience with the ninjas made an impact:

"I normally hate noisy people in cinemas, but I got a call from my friend just as the movie started and thought I could get away with taking it," he said. "The last thing I expected was two completely blacked-out people suddenly appearing by our seats and give me and my mates a warning to shut up. It was actually pretty terrifying at first, but then I realised it was a bit of a laugh and a great way to make it clear what I was doing was having an impact on those around me."

Gregor Lawson, Morphsuits founder, told Slashfilm that the idea actually for theatre ninjas actually stemmed from his company's Facebook page, where fans discussed using his zentai suits to dress up as ninjas.

Years of bad movie theatre experiences helped him come up with a plan that put Morphsuit-clad ninjas into the cinema.

Reel

So, dark figures are saying "Shhhh" to other people in movie theaters?

The tables have turned.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Reelist on September 15, 2012, 08:59:33 PM
So, dark figures are saying "Shhhh" to other people in movie theaters?

The tables have turned.

What is this supposed to mean?

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

RegularKarate

that's what I thought. So is the person who up-voted that post.
For shame, racists, for shame.

pete

I actually had to check to see if I upvoted 'cause I thought it was an ok joke. but reelist, as I recall, has that family guy-esque brand of humor that I try not to condone.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Robyn

Quote from: pete on September 17, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
reelist, as I recall, has that family guy-esque brand of humor that I try not to condone.

Explain.

pete

I was browsing the chats and it seems like he's just flailing wildly with every response he types, looking for the quickest way to shock somebody. like, that's what he thinks comedy is. I'm not saying I'm funny, or that he's not funny, but that brand of humor is a brand that needs no fostering.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Woman Sprays Man with Mace During AFI Screening
Variety Staff

The AFI Film Festival screening of "Mr. Turner" had theatergoers scratching their heads (and eyes) on Monday night when one audience member maced another in the face for asking her to turn off her cell phone.

It happened during Mike Leigh's historical drama "Mr. Turner," starring Timothy Spall, at the Chinese 6 theater in Hollywood.

According to an eyewitness account, the man repeatedly told the woman to turn off her cell phone five minutes into the movie. After she refused, the man then reached over the seat and tapped her on the shoulder ("You need to turn off your phone!" he said), causing the woman to stand up, and after a brief exchange, she sprayed him in the face with the self-defense chemical.

"Everyone in the audience was watching in disbelief," the eyewitness said.

The man and his girlfriend quickly left the theater. It's unknown how many other moviegoers also left the festival screening.

The woman, after showering the man with incapacitant, returned to her seat and continued watching the movie like nothing had happened.

Security quietly came in and removed her from the theater 15 minutes later.

As for "Mr. Turner," which is about 19th century painter J.M.W. Turner, the audience rather enjoyed the rest of the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 10, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
Woman Sprays Man with Mace During AFI Screening

The woman, after showering the man with incapacitant, returned to her seat and continued watching the movie like nothing had happened.
like the cinemania dude

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 10, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
on Monday night
3pm

the end of this post is a friend told me she'd seen mr. turner and i asked where it was from and she told me it's a mike leigh movie and that's how i learned about the movie