"but NOTHING happened!"

Started by pete, January 22, 2004, 10:17:18 AM

pete

at the cinema I worked I hear this a lot, where uppity people come out of the theater complaining about how the movie was bad because "nothing happened" and then they'll be quick to call it "pretentious" and then assure me that they're cultured people who do like independent/ foreign movies like "crouching tiger hidden dragon"/ "life is beautiful"/ or (!) Bend It Like Beckham.
but what about movies where for real, nothing happened?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

Quote from: peteat the cinema I worked I hear this a lot, where uppity people come out of the theater complaining about how the movie was bad because "nothing happened" and then they'll be quick to call it "pretentious"

Reason #357 why more people should die
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

analogzombie

i guess it's just a matter of popinion as to whether or not 'what happens' in a film constitues a substantial enough event for the people to deem it worthy of their money. I can't think of too many films 'where nothing happnes at all'. maybe a high school film project or something. but I assume you are refering to people commenting on things like Amelie or Lost in Translation. Maybe the people complaining are able to catch the nuances of character development or personal growth that are 'what happens' in some films. Or maybe for some people for 'something to happen' someone must die or get blown up. at any rate it's the same for art, literature, and music. some people just don't get it unless they are assaulted with the substance f the work. it's like thinking or feeling their way through it is just too hard.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Link

Seinfeld - Greatest Show Ever

A show about nothing.

Duck Sauce

my roommate claims Fight Club is an independent movie

Pas

I think I prefers someone who watches Torque and say it's a cool movie than someone who pretends liking indies and stuff and creams his pants over My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Bent it like Beckham.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pas RapportI think I prefers someone who watches Torque and say it's a cool movie than someone who pretends liking indies and stuff and creams his pants over My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Bent it like Beckham.

I love that, I couldn't agree more.

I'm putting that as my quote, if you don't mind...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Pas RapportI think I prefers someone who watches Torque and say it's a cool movie than someone who pretends liking indies and stuff and creams his pants over My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Bent it like Beckham.

I think both parties are equally despicable.

SoNowThen

Nah, at least one isn't phony.

soixante

Pete, you have hit the bullseye.  I have heard the phrase "nothing happened" so many times in regards to art/indie films it has become the official mantra of philistines.  People have been conditioned by Spielberg and Bruckheimer to expect an action set piece scene every 10 minutes, and if you don't get one, then "nothing is happening."  The flip side of this is a surfeit of action, like in Con Air or other Bruckheimer movies, in which something's always happening, but nothing is going on.  "Sound and fury, signifying nothing," could well describe 90% of the major studio product.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pas

I do not at all... I don't have a title, but I'm in two people's sig. I feel like my life means something now. I think I'll go take a walk outside and talk to people. Oh god, I feel so ALIVE !

Quote from: Pas Rapport

I do not at all... I don't have a title, but I'm in two people's sig. I feel like my life means something now. I think I'll go take a walk outside and talk to people. Oh god, I feel so ALIVE !

while we're on the subject:

Chorus:
I feel so alive
For the very first time
I can't deny you
I feel so alive
I feel so alive
For the very first time
And I think I can fly (fly)

Sunshine upon my face (sunshine upon my face)
A new song for me to sing
Tell the world
How I feel inside (Tell the world how I feel inside)
Even though it might
Cost me everything
Now that I know this
So beyond, I can't hold this
I can never
Turn my back away
Now that I've seen you (Now that I've seen you)
I can neva look away

Repeat chorus

Now that I know you
(I could never
Turn my back away)
Now that I see you
(I could neva look away)
Now that I know you
(I could neva
Turn my back away)
Now that I see you
(I believe no matta
What they say!)
context, context, context.

snaporaz

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI think both parties are equally despicable.

if you think someone sucks for liking a movie, any movie, doesn't that make you a snob? i mean, i think someone can justifiably be labeled as an idiot if you were to hear his actual thoughts on cinema [i.e. torque was awesome...it was never boring, lots of action, and that chick was sooo hot.]. but to just like a movie like that, i see nothing wrong, as long as you can give mature and logical reasons for liking it, coupled with thoughts on an assortment of other genres.

this happened to me a while ago at work:

i ask a co-worker "seen any good movies lately?"

co-worker: i saw swat. it was fucking cool.

me [silently a little disappointed]: oh yeah? was it good?

him: "lots of action, bro. i like action movies."

assistant manager comes in: oh, walsh [me] doesn't like movies like that, do you walsh?

me: not really.

manager: walsh likes movies like "clock orange". those are boring movies walsh. "clock orange". ehh.

the manager used to work at blockbuster when i was in junior high, so i guess that's why he said that.

anyways, yeah. that happened.

SoNowThen

People like your manager need to get hit by buses more.

snaporaz

Quote from: SoNowThenPeople like your manager need to get hit by buses more.

yes. yes he does.