Classics I'm Not A Fan Of...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, December 02, 2003, 05:50:24 PM

modage

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreBut Arsenic and Old Lace is one of the funniest movies ever made. Cary Grant is like a fucking cartoon, how can you not love that?

Grant isn't as good as he usually is imo but he's not really part of my gripe...it's those two fucking old ladies that got me, they were absolutely HORRIBLE. WORST actresses ever. Most annoying I mean! Most annoying of all I've ever seen! And therefore, they suck.

i love cary grant, but didnt like this movie too much either.  (didnt HATE it, but dont want to rush out to buy it.)  the tone was just a little strange for me, but maybe itll grow on me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Perhaps I haven't seen enough Grant, but I just loved him in this. I don't even remember the old ladies as being very annoying, I don't remember paying much attention to them. I just loved Cary Grant in this so much, especially when amidst all the craziness, he just sits there and smokes cigarette...fucking awesome.
WWPTAD?

modage

some of my favorite Grant is probably Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.  he's good in His Girl Friday (although i'm not in love with the film), and i like Charade as well as his Hitchcock films, but i'm sure the real MacGuffin can give you a few choice selections to check out better than i can.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02some of my favorite Grant is Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.  he's good in His Girl Friday (although i'm not in love with the film), but i'm sure the Real MacGuffin can give you a few choice selections to check out better than i can.

There we go, there is some Cary Grant that I like...Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday...that is the Cary Grant I like to reference and think about. I haven't seen Philadelphia Story yet, I've heard of it of course, just haven't seen it yet.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanI have a question, were you referring to me in with this....

Quotehating classic movies makes me feel like a real man.
no, it was a general comment.
under the paving stones.

Sanjuro

my problem with vertigo is the final jump... i dont know, i know its a very minor thing as compared to the whole but it seemed so... cheap

someone help me out.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Alethia

Quote from: Pi propose we change the name of this thread to "Who Hates The Best Movies?"

little late, but i agree.  so many wonderful movies are being denounced.  i know everyone has their own opinions but some of what i am reading is very surprising.

Redlum

The only classic I can think of that I was underimpressed with was Jules et Jim. I much preferred the Last Metro.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Godardian,
For Vertigo, when I read your last responce, I thought there was an obvious difference between us in viewing films, but that I also could really reply to your responce still. Now that I read it again and feel breathing room to respond, I find there is actually quite little for me to respond to. Your responce circles our differences in how we look at movies.

I still would like to elaborate on my side. I don't think I've done that very well yet for Vertigo and even if it me just pointing out the difference again, I want to do it. A lot of my problems with Hitchcock and more so with Vertigo more are the increasing problems I have with Kubrick (just an example) from 2001 on. Hitchcock feels like a formalist with Vertigo. For the definition, as supplied by Rudolf Arnheim, "The formalist emancipates the medium from the content is supposed to serve...Rather than submerging in the content, from steps between the beholder and the theme of the work." I don't believe in this and it leads me into my complaints of the story and not really bringing the effect of the themes it is trying to convey, things also pivotal to the filmmaking of Hitchcock.

My points will go into the weakness of the story as little more than the trivial and yours will go into how the execution of filmmaking transforms the cheap material. Examples will be given and such, but its me disagreeing with you and calling it empty exhibitionism still. Its not that I don't believe in the art of filmmaking. There are many films superficial in story and high in filmmaking I consider some of the very best made, but those films I see more as great just for effect of watching them. I don't believe they reveal very much at all within the film. For that depth to be felt, its in the story for me.

Maybe you knew all these ideas of mine anyways. Maybe you knew most of it, but understood a little more. Whatever the case, I feel I stated my case better. And if MacGuffin wants to discuss why I think the story is trivial and believes something other than Godardian, I'm up for it.

Finn

Five Easy Pieces
Short Cuts
most Woody Allen movies
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

Quote from: SydneyFive Easy Pieces
Short Cuts
most Woody Allen movies

i be speechless