Fun With Domain Names

Started by Xixax, February 01, 2003, 10:58:34 AM

Xixax

I have a little hobby...

I like to check on domain names to see if they're available, and if they come up open and I like them, I'll buy them. Not for profit - just to have. Xixax.com and SeduceAndDestroy.Com are two examples. I don't do it too often, but occasionally I'll find a name I really want to just have for my "collection". Sometimes these are names found in movies, and sometimes movie web sites expire and you can take over ownership of them if you snatch the name up quickly enough (like magnoliamovie.com recently was).

In doing checking on these names, I'll sometimes find quirky things from other people with the same hobby.

Recently, I found a couple of good Donnie Darko site names.

http://www.sparklemotion.com is taken - by someone who likes the movie, clearly.

http://www.cunningvisions.com (last time I checked) was available, but I didn't buy it at the time. I thought it might be a little too obscure to warrant buying.

I know it's an odd hobby... Do you guys ever do this? Or, could you suggest some sites that are available that I might like to have for my "collection"?

To check to see if a domain name is available, use your favorite WHOIS service. I like Directnic:

http://www.directnic.com/search/index.cgi?q=cunningvisions.com

Just replace the domain name after the "q=" with whatever you want to search for.

Let the search begin! We might find some fun web sites, or some good names to redirect to Xixax!

(PS: If it's a somewhat obscure domain name, please cite the film you reference, and the significance of the domain name you find)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

cj was using www.oharethey.com for his wes anderson site.  i thought that was pretty funny

can't think of any domain names offhand, though.

RegularKarate

RegularKarate.com is available.

So are:

TameTheVagina.com
InspiringActress.com
ABiggerBoat.net

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

u bet ur ass Pubrick.com is available.

also:

itsallabitgheyreally.com
sphinxlinxadinx.com

this is fun.
under the paving stones.

Xixax

Umm. Well, I was thinking more about things mentioned in movies... Obvious things, ya know? Things that a fan of a film might be curious to check out just for giggles. None of the above qualify.

But OK. I'll play along.

KevinSmithEatsTheAssOutOfADeadGoat.com
VinDieselAteMyBalls.com

and let's not forget...

IFartedAndWaftedItInTheFaceOfBarrySonnenfeld.com
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

Quote from: XixaxUmm. Well, I was thinking more about things mentioned in movies... Obvious things, ya know? Things that a fan of a film might be curious to check out just for giggles. None of the above qualify.

Quote from: RegularKarate
ABiggerBoat.net

picolas

www.imgoingtobuythesefuckingshoes.com
www.shutthefuckupdonny.net
www.nerdlingers.net
www.ilostmyguntodaywhenileftyouandimthelaughingstockofalotofpeople.com

Xixax

Quote from: picolaswww.shutthefuckupdonny.net
Dude, I would *SO* buy that if the .com was available!!!
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Xixax

It's actually spelled "donnie" ... and shutthefuckupdonnie.com is available.

aretheseforthechristmas.com
historyrepeatingitselfalloveragain.com
doireallyneedallthatbass.com
kickingassinsidemystomach.com
inevertakemyskatesoff.com
goingdownthesugartree.com
imafuckinidiot.com

life_boy

www.thebigtop.com
www.onelastthing.com
www.bitchbecool.com
www.mrdeltoid.com
www.appypollyloggies.com
www.brettratnersubtlegenius.com
www.yeahthatsanearalright.com

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Xixax

It's actually spelled "donnie" ... and shutthefuckupdonnie.com is available.

i beg to differ.

Jeremy Blackman

Whoa. I thought you were talking about the Alfred Molina / William H. Macy dialogue in Magnolia. Figures... I haven't seen Lebowski.

sphinx

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanaretheseforthechristmas.com

BEST FUCKING DOMAIN NAME EVER.

cheadle gets me every time with that and it's even funnier in the form of a domain.

MacGuffin

ilosemytouch.com
thisisthegirl.com
juicebytappy.com
thataintmine.com
butitdidhappen.com
denisethepiece.com
quietlyjudgingyou.com
keeponrockinandrollin.com
thisisagiantcock.com
bigbrightshiningstar.com
butterinmyass.com
angelsliveinmytown.com
thisreallylookslikehawaii.com
heneedsme.com
andbyebye.com
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks