Official Futurama Thread - Futurama back in '08 -RK has 2 years to afford cable

Started by ©brad, August 11, 2003, 04:12:20 PM

modage

its back baby...

Break Out The Slurm! 26 New FUTURAMA Episodes Coming!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22782
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i just emailed that to everyone i know in the biggest font i could find. thanks.

under the paving stones.

Ravi

Hell fucking yeah!  Of course, we could have been enjoying new episodes of Futurama for the past few years if Fox hadn't screwed with it in the first place.

ono

Quote from: modage on March 20, 2006, 07:41:57 AM
its back baby...

Break Out The Slurm! 26 New FUTURAMA Episodes Coming!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22782
Has anyone checked that page recently?

This page prompted me to do so.

Oh well.  It's better than nothing.

RegularKarate

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/back_to_the_futurama_entertainment_don_kaplan.htm

June 22, 2006 -- 'FUTURAMA" is officially back from the dead.
The quirky animated show from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening was canceled by Fox about two years ago, but will return with at least 13 new episodes on Comedy Central by 2008.

This is only the second time in television history that a show sent to TV's trash heap has been resurrected. Curiously, the first was "Family Guy," also an animated Fox show.

The tale of "Futurama's" dramatic revival roughly follows that same path that "Family Guy" did.

In both cases, the shows have been successfully airing on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim late-night programming block. They both also turned into hot-selling DVD box sets.

"Family Guy" returned to Fox earlier this year, while last fall, Comedy Central outbid Adult Swim for the license to air all 52 episodes of "Futurama" and whatever new episodes might one day be produced.

This week, deals were inked to secure all of the original voice talent and the production staff of "Futurama," paving the way for the series' return to TV.

The show stars voice-over megastar Billy West (whose elastic vocal chords have provided the voices for nearly 120 different cartoons) as Philip J. Fry, a bumbling slacker from the 20th century who is accidentally cryogenically frozen in 1999 and wakes up 1,000 years later.

It is believed that the new episodes will also be released on DVD.

"Futurama" star Katey Sagal confirmed the return of the show on Comedy Central Tuesday night during an appearance on Craig Ferguson's "Late Late Show."

On Fox, "Futurama" never developed the same buzz or following of its sister show, "The Simpsons," but has since become one of the biggest shows on Adult Swim.

Fox may also have the option to air the new episodes, although it is highly unlikely to do so, according to industry sources.

modage

AWESOME. though i did get excited a few months ago when Billy West said the same thing and then it was apparently not true, but is true now, so i am cautiously through-the-roof happy.  (next, arrested development please).

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 22, 2006, 04:41:26 PM
Fox may also have the option to air the new episodes, although it is highly unlikely to do so, according to industry sources.
this is what happened with family guy wasnt it?  originally cartoon network had ordered the new episodes and then at some point fox decided they would air them? 
Quote from: RegularKarate on June 22, 2006, 04:41:26 PMIt is believed that the new episodes will also be released on DVD.
wow, no shit? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

GodDamnImDaMan

I will not be happy until they bring back the show, "Sashta McNasty."
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

picolas

pete

I really really really love the space pope joke.  it's one of my favorites in the world.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

My favorite episodes/moments were the Scary Door (see Twilight Zone joke above), the "Gravitons and graviolis!", Leela's visiting of the Niblungs in Day the Earth Stood Stupid, Fry's shallow gene pool, and the Hypnotoad. I can't get enough of this show.

modage

UP CLOSE: DAVID X. COHEN
The 'Futurama' co-creator talks exclusively to Toyfare about the long-awaited new season...
By Justin Aclin December 12, 2006 

It's the good news everyone has been waiting for! A new season of "Futurama"—the brilliant, animated sci-fi comedy from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and executive producer David X. Cohen—is finally being produced for a 2008 release.

It's still not determined whether the new episodes will debut on Comedy Central or DVD, but we're too excited to care! We pinned down Cohen to get the skinny on what we can expect when "Futurama" reawakens from its cryo-sleep.

ToyFare: So where are you right now in the production of the new season?

DAVID X. COHEN: We're about halfway through the writing, but just getting started on the animation. One big decision we have not yet made is how, once again, to "end" the series—hopefully not for the last time.

How long after the last "series finale" does the new season take place? And what can we expect for the Fry and Leela relationship?

COHEN: When our story resumes, two long years have passed. As for the Fry/Leela relationship, we will be visiting that subject right away, so I refuse to tell you where it will lead on the grounds that I want you to buy the DVD.

How much continuity will the new season feature?

COHEN: Within the new season, we will definitely feature more continuity than in the past. We will also be shedding light on several lingering questions from the original run, including hitherto unknown facts about Nibbler, dark matter and Seymour the dog. By the way, that was my first use of the word "hitherto" in an interview. I think it went well.

[Laughs] Nice. How much of the original cast and crew were you able to put together?

COHEN: We have the entire cast back, as well as a good chunk of the writing staff. We also have Rough Draft Studios animating once again, and they seem determined to top even their own amazing work from the first time around. To complete the reunion of our original crack team, it looks like we will also have Chris Tyng back to work his magic on the musical score.

Are there any guest voices lined up yet?

COHEN: We will have a number, yes, but I can only officially report on the one we have already recorded—up-and-coming voice-over star Al Gore. For the first time, we are going to show what really determined the outcome of the 2000 Presidential election.

Toynami's going to be making new Futurama toys—are you into the toys at all?

COHEN: I think I have every Futurama toy legally produced so far. I loved their I-Men [block figures]... It's especially fun for me to see toys based on side characters like Calculon and Roberto. Personally, although I think I speak for millions, I would like to see toys of Hypnotoad, Slurms McKenzie and Hedonismbot. Also, I'd like Fry, Leela and Bender in their superhero forms: Captain Yesterday, Clobberella and SuperKing.

Are there any new characters being introduced in the new season that you're excited about?

COHEN: Yes, particularly Nudar, the evil alien nudist. We're not sure what the censorship issues are as far as showing unrecognizable alien reproductive organs. I guess we'll just put it on the air and see what happens.

Well, until Nudar debuts, who's your favorite minor character on the show?

COHEN: Hypnotoad. By the way, we are looking into producing a full 22-minute episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad for the DVD release. I am serious.

Pubrick

haha, great teaser interview, despite the BORING AS HELL bit about who-gives-a-shit toys.

they sound like they have more inspiration for this upcoming season than the simpsons have had in the last 7 years. easily. so glad to hear it. Nudar, brilliant.

but mostly i want to know more about Seymour.. i loved that little guy.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on December 13, 2006, 08:34:27 AM

The end of the "Jurassic Bark" episode was literally the only time a TV show has ever made me cry.  Even just thinking about that ending now, I get a little choked up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: polkablues on December 13, 2006, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on December 13, 2006, 08:34:27 AM

The end of the "Jurassic Bark" episode was literally the only time a TV show has ever made me cry.  Even just thinking about that ending now, I get a little choked up.

Futurama has gotten to me a surprising number of times.  Always at the last minute or two of some of the episodes.