FSU MFA Thesis Film Screening (5 Shorts Reviewed)

Started by Raikus, August 02, 2003, 09:59:32 PM

Raikus

With the success of Daughter FSU is getting some major attention from movie studios. My wife and I went to the screening and I thought someone might be interested in the films they premiered. I've got a feeling two of them will go on to some great acclaim.

The Plunge (Comedy) Written/Directed by Todd Schulman
Stuggling to find the perfect way to propose to Michelle, Joe turns to the skies for inspiration.
I was very suprised by this movie. It was a comedy and didn't try to conquer anything else. The first half of the movie is laugh after laugh. Joe is basically the geek-gone-lucky and has a super gorgeous, athletic and adventurous girlfriend. He bumbles with his first attempt in proposal (which results in a rather painful tattoo) before deciding to pop the question while freefalling. Steve Siddell does a great job of portraying the bumbling, flinching, yet gutsy-when-he-has-to-be Joe. Will Bigham is great as a suicidal sky diving instructor. The last part of the movie slides off. Laughs are frequent, but toned down to accomplish resolution. The technical aspects aren't amazing, but above par for typical comedy. The shots are framed up to appeal to the maximum comedic affect. Out of four stars: ***

Last Night of Mardi Gras (Drama) Written/Directed by Nikki Nime
On the road to New Orleans, Oliver, a prospective law student, finds himself on an adventure with Audrey, a French woman destined for Mardi Gras.
This was the--I don't want to say "worst" but something applicable--short of the five. Oliver (Xander Chauncey) plays a very uptight and apprehensive guy who has planned to go to law school for years, but is now second guessing himself (if only subconsciously). Audrey (Romy Marqvardt) does a good job of portraying a road tripping French woman who has figured out her own life and assists others in the same. The plot is rather hum-hum (they meet, bus breaks down, she gets a car, invites him along, gets pulled over, etc.). I thought that the main reason I disliked this movie was because of Xander Chauncey's portrayal of Oliver. He plays him so stick-in-the-muddish it's hard to care for him. I don't think that's the case anymore (see 3AM) but rather how the director wanted him to act. If more sympathetic, the movie would have played better.

Zeke (Suspense/Comedy) Written/Directed by Dana Buning
Joe has neutered his cat, Zeke, and he's about to learn that Zeke is no pussy.
Excusing the poor description, this was a great short. It takes the stereotypes and effects of horror and suspense movies and applies them to a different scenerio: What if your cat was really, really pissed that he was neutered and was intelligent (and rueful) enough to do something about it. For those of us with cats, you will finally find out what that curious stare really means. Joe (David Perez Ribada) is outwitted, outclasses, and ultimately outballed by his pet. Buning took some obviously Raimi-esque shots and turned out something, well, rather Raimi-esque. It's got the same off-ball humor coupled with suspense that gives the Evil Dead series its cult status. It's got some great shots in it as well. But the cat totally makes this movie. I don't know how long it took them, or if the cat's a natural, but it's got some great acting in its future. Move over Morris.

The 17th Man (Suspense) Co-Written/Directed by Yimeng Jin
A renowned dark author's fictitious femme fatale challenges him in a game of deception. Only one will survive.
Easily one of the most technically impressive shorts I've ever seen. The lighting, the direction, the editing, the art direction--it honestly blew me away. You'll be hearing about this film. The story is great. It's full of great "pulp fiction" quality (not the movie, but the novels). Great ideas behind the production, great twists, and a great resolution. I think Jin just wrote his ticket. The acting is top notch as well. I did get a little annoyed with writer's manager (Bill Kelly)--not his acting, but his dialogue. And truth be told it wasn't even noticeable. Jeannine Holley Meis plays a great antagonist. Some of the shots and story gave me a "Dark City" type vibe. Don't confuse that with me saying it's like "Dark City" only that it had the intricacy.

3 A.M. (Suspense) Written/Directed by Stewart Hopewell
While working the night shift at a crematorium, Myron is drawn to a beautiful young body like a moth to a flame.
Yeah, there's a bit of uncomfortable necrophilic themes brought up here, but with purpose. It was a well composed, well shot and acted film. Myron (Xander Chauncey--remember him?) does great work here. From his two performances (this and Last Night of Mardi Gras) I can tell he's got great range. The story has some "Six Feet Under" similarities (not just the location, but the title sequence and some of the shots). They do a great job of keeping the audience on the edge of their seat. But the ending devolves into something reminiscent of a late night "Tales from the Crypt" episode. The talent is there--no doubt--but the story could have used some work. Notoriety should go to the actress (Camila Quaresma) portraying the "beautiful young body" too. She spent 90% of her camera time in the buff--a hard thing for someone to do.

Overall, wow. I was expecting three shorts like Last Night... and maybe one good comedy and a decent suspense movie. I think that Zeke and The 17th Man will go on to high profile festivals. The Plunge and 3 A.M. have a chance too, but not as good. The quality of the films tonight made me vow never to miss a Graduate Class Screening again and kick myself for missing the ones in the past. Some of these shorts will be coming up on the school's site soon: http://filmschool.fsu.edu so I'd recommend checking there every so often if you're interested.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.