The SEQUELS That Time Forgot

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:35:48 PM

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 14, 2007, 01:16:58 AM
"I've always been a fan of the original H.G. Wells book as well as the Universal film and felt the property was ripe for reimagining," Goyer said.
learn from Hollow Man's example.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

Daddy Day Camp
starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as Eddie Murphy
directed by Fred Savage

fact.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Bill and Ted adapt to 2007
The 1980s cult classic is being revisited for a straight-to-DVD release. Will their innocence become a casualty?
Source: Los Angeles Times

Dude, did you hear Bill and Ted are climbing back into the time machine?

No way!

Yes way.

MGM is developing a straight-to-DVD revisiting of the late-'80s cult classic "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" for producer Frank Mancuso Jr. at 360 Pictures. Although their deal is still being worked out, writers Gabe Grifoni and Suzanne Francis ("Wieners") have already turned in an outline for an updated take on San Dimas' most excellent native sons.

(Insert air guitar trill here.)

But is there still an audience for Bill and Ted's pre-culture-of-irony straightforwardness and unshakable positivity in a world that has since given us "Wayne's World," "Dumb and Dumber," "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "South Park"? Or will the boys be Stiflerized for today's market?

Several attempts at a spinoff TV series in the early '90s, one animated and one live action, misread the boys' appeal — no matter what your memory tells you, they weren't actually stoners, surfers or Valley dudes — and sparked cries of betrayal from devoted fans who felt that the sensibility of the original films' writers, Ed Solomon ("Levity") and Chris Matheson ("Mr. Wrong"), had been corrupted.

While in UCLA's film school 20 years ago, Solomon and Matheson would rent a stage on Sunset Boulevard for $20 and crack each other up by improvising the two lovable doofuses. The two "Bill & Ted" films — the sequel was "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" in 1991 — then became their first feature credits.

More than a decade later, they actually tried to get a third "Bill & Ted" feature made, with the idea of checking in with the guys as middle-aged men. Actors Keanu Reeves (Ted "Theodore" Logan) and Alex Winter (Bill S. Preston, Esq.), now both in their 40s, were reportedly game until Reeves' manager advised his client, by then a major movie star (although still on-screen climbing in and out of phone booths), against revisiting the material.

Solomon and Matheson, who have only recently re-teamed for the comedy "NowhereLand," now in pre-production at Paramount, were not asked to participate in the new film.

"We loved Bill and Ted," says Solomon. "They were created out of complete innocence. We had a lot of fun with them, and we wish them well."

Let's hope they retain that innocence. As the boys would say: Be excellent to each other.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

How many sequels are too many?

As this summer's slate of sequels marches on, Hollywood is planning even more installments of their biggest franchises.

With an indefinite number of future "Spider-Man" movies on tap and an 11th "Star Trek" coming next year, how many sequels are enough?

"The marketplace decides," says Tom Ortenberg, president of Lions Gate, which will release "Saw IV" in October and bring back Sylvester Stallone next year in "John Rambo." "If the marketplace is there to support it, you find a way to get it done."

"In such a crowded marketplace, being able to break through the clutter is half the battle," he says. "Sequels, already branded, make it that much easier to break through that clutter with a title that is already familiar to consumers."

By the end of August, 14 sequels will have passed through movie theaters, many of them exiting with bags of money in tow. "Spider-Man 3" has grossed more than $335 million, "Shrek the Third" $318 million and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" $304 million. All three have combined for over $1.5 billion overseas.

Since the days of Aristotle, the number 3 has been considered the most perfect figure in dramatic arts. But studios still find it hard to decline potential fortunes for the sake of a trilogy's neat narrative structure.

A fourth "Shrek" film is scheduled for 2010. Jeffrey Katzenberg, chief executive of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc., recently said a fifth will follow.

There are no current plans for another "Pirates" film, but Johnny Depp has indicated he's open to it. Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios have said with certainty that "Spider-Man" will be back, but writer-director Sam Raimi and stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst have voiced reluctance to continue.

"I know there'll be a `Spider-Man 4, 5 and 6,'" Raimi said earlier this year. "I just won't be the guy that'll probably write the story, because I've got to clear my head."

Instead, Raimi has been linked to "The Hobbit," a film based on J.R.R. Tolkien's prelude to the "Lord of the Rings" series. Peter Jackson, who directed the well-planned "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, is suing New Line Cinema over profits from "Rings," complicating plans for "The Hobbit."

It wasn't always like this.

"`Sequel' was a dirty word," says Paul Dergarabedian, president of the box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "They were seen as an exploitive way to capitalize on a brand name recognition of a popular movie by making the same movie and putting a `2' behind it."

Dergarabedian recalls feeling a shift when 1999's "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" made more money in its first weekend than the original made in its entire theatrical run. Now, sequels don't ride the coattails of the original so much as they gain momentum, swelling into larger and larger behemoths with each progressive installment.

But how long will audiences keep paying to see the same franchise? Part of the trick is to make the old seem new again.

"John Rambo" carefully avoids what would be an unappealing "IV." Stallone did the same earlier this year with "Rocky Balboa," the sixth "Rocky" film.

Both are part of what might be called nostalgic sequels. Included in the trend is the recently released "Live Free or Die Hard," the fourth installment in the "Die Hard" series, a dozen years after its last. There's even a planned sequel to "Alien vs. Predator," which itself was based on old franchises. "Alien vs. Predator 2" is scheduled for release this Christmas.

The most anticipated of nostalgic sequels is the as-yet-titled fourth "Indiana Jones." Currently shooting, the new "Indiana Jones" struggled for years to line up everything before beginning production with Harrison Ford starring and Steven Spielberg directing. Sean Connery declined to participate.

There have even been rumblings of a fourth "Ocean's" movie following this summer's "Ocean's Thirteen." Opening Aug. 3 is "The Bourne Ultimatum," and while it's based on Robert Ludlum's third and final "Bourne" novel, author Eric Van Lustbader recently picked up the series, writing two more "Bourne" books.

A spokesman for NBC Universal said that "Ultimatum" concludes the questions posed by the first chapter of Jason Bourne's adventures, "with the potential for continuation remaining open."

"Transformers," which was based on the `80s toys and animated TV show, has grossed over $223 million in two weeks and seems destined for at least one sequel. Martin Levy, a marketing executive at DreamWorks (which co-produced the movie with Paramount), says: "It's a very logical thing to think that we can look forward to another one."

Whether the source material is serialized or not is an important part of the sequel craze. "Harry Potter" came tailor-made for a seven-part franchise, with a film based on each book. The fifth movie, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," has made over $139.7 million since opening last week.

Kevin Feige, president of production at Marvel Studios, believes the recent popularity of sequels is because many are based on "ongoing sagas." Marvel, which holds the rights to many of the most popular comic book characters, is well situated to draw from its extensive library for franchise sequels.

Feige says another "X-Men" film is possible and that spin-offs for Wolverine and Magneto are in the works. A third "Fantastic Four" following this summer's "Rise of the Silver Surfer" edition is also possible, and Feige says a Silver Surfer stand-alone script has been "moved to the forefront" of discussions.

"There's always stuff that ends up in our back pocket or that we put to the side in our if-we-should-be-so-lucky-next-time folder," says Feige of Marvel's comic book source material. "It's not difficult finding which storylines or characters we're going to use in one of our films. It's difficult deciding which ones not to use."

In this way, "Spider-Man," "Harry Potter" and "Batman" (the seventh of which will be released next year) have more in common with a serial like the James Bond films (based on Ian Fleming's novels) than "Police Academy."

Peter Bart, editor-in-chief of the daily Hollywood trade paper Variety, credits the studios for improving the quality of their franchise sequels.

"The studios have learned how to win at this business," says Bart. "They've picked the right subjects and understood how to exploit them internationally."

But as the sequel numbers pile up, Bart says, the studios are moving into "new waters." Every time they go back to the well, the riskier it gets to depend on the same franchises.

"The big question," he says," is how long will they endure?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Warners, McFarlane return to 'Oz'
Olson to write revisionist take on Baum books
Source: Variety

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures are teaming on "Oz," a revisionist take on the L. Frank Baum books that hatched "The Wizard of Oz."

Project was acquired based on an idea by Todd McFarlane that was fleshed out and pitched by Josh Olson ("A History of Violence").

Olson will write and McFarlane will produce with Thunder Road's Basil Iwanyk. Rick Benattar ("Shoot 'Em Up") is exec producer.

Conversations with McFarlane and Olson make it clear that they are still working out the tone of the film. They have plenty to work with. WB has owned the rights to the original "The Wizard of Oz" since buying Ted Turner's empire, whose assets included the film and other plum titles in the MGM library. There are also 15 novels in the Oz series written by Baum, most in the public domain.

McFarlane has a vision of Oz that is a dark, edgy and muscular PG-13, without a singing Munchkin in sight. That was clear with a toy line he launched several years ago that featured a buxom Dorothy and Toto reimagined as an oversized snarling warthog. Olson has something a little tamer, and PG, in mind.

"I saw those toys, and Dorothy as some bondage queen isn't something I want to do," Olson told Daily Variety. "The appealing thing about the Baum books to me is how wildly imaginative they are. There are crazy characters from amazing places. I want this to be 'Harry Potter' dark, not 'Seven' dark."

Both McFarlane and Olson are on the same page when it comes to the promise of marrying the Baum story with benefits of visual effects advancements.

"My pitch was 'How do we get people who went to 'Lord of the Rings' to embrace this?' " McFarlane said. "I want to create (an interpretation) that has a 2007 wow factor. You've still got Dorothy trapped in an odd place, but she's much closer to the Ripley from 'Alien' than a helpless singing girl."

Olson was keeping plot specifics to himself but said the film will be closer to a sequel than a remake.

"We still want to take advantage of the first film, which might be the most beloved of all time, and rely on its place in your cultural memory to bubble beneath the surface," Olson said. "A lot of the plot is mine, but the characters are all Baum."

McFarlane, a former Marvel Comics animator who created "Spawn," is working on several producing projects, such as Paramount's "The Torso," which has David Fincher attached to direct. McFarlane is producing with Bill Mechanic and Don Murphy.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Fast and Furious 4

Vin Diesel and Paul Walker are in negotiations to reunite for the fourth installment of Universal's Fast and the Furious franchise. Justin Lin and Chris Morgan, who were behind Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, are returning to directing and writing duties, respectively.

Neal Moritz will produce the as-yet-untitled installment along with Diesel, who will produce through his One Race Films banner.

The story line is being kept under wraps, but fast cars are involved. A spring start is anticipated with shooting in Los Angeles, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

The first Furious, released in 2001, was a surprise hit, grossing more than $144 million and creating a franchise for the studio while making stars our of Diesel and Walker. Only Walker returned for the sequel, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and sat out the third installment, 2005's Tokyo Drift. That movie had relative newcomer Lucas Black in the driver's seat but did feature Diesel in a cameo at the end of the movie.

Stefen

What about Fright Night II? In the spirit of Halloween, I am seeking this movie out. How awful is it? I used to love it when I was a kid. I remember the creature effects being AWESOME.

But like everything that I loved as a kid, it either turns out to be awful, or way too old for me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: Stefen on October 04, 2007, 10:33:45 AM
What about Fright Night II? In the spirit of Halloween, I am seeking this movie out. How awful is it? I used to love it when I was a kid. I remember the creature effects being AWESOME.

But like everything that I loved as a kid, it either turns out to be awful, or way too old for me.

Well, it sure isn't as good as the first.

After seeing the original, I bought the sequel off ebay. I think I paid less than $20, which was fine with me compaired to the price some copies were going for.

I didn't mind that it was a shitty, full-screen transfer so much as it was just a mediocre movie all around - especially when placed against the original.

But for nostalgia and Halloween's sake, seek it out... just don't put too much effort or money into it.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

I didn't pay for it. I DLed it off of Mininova.

Both of them actually, but I saw the orig. a couple years ago.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

yeah fright night 2 is pretty terrible.  the best bit (for me) being Jon Gries who played wolfman from monster squad also playing a werewolf here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Director set for 'Wolves' sequel
Simon Wincer signs on to 'The Holy Road'
Source: Variety

Simon Wincer has signed on to direct "The Holy Road" -- a sequel to "Dances With Wolves" -- for Moonstone, Amicus Entertainment and Double Eagle Films.

Film, which is being presented to international buyers at AFM, is penned by Michael Blake, who wrote the screenplay for "Wolves" as well as the two novels on which the two films are based.

Story picks up 11 years after "Wolves" as the Comanche tribe is in steady decline and the threat of white settlers looms. The title "Holy Road" refers to the transcontinental railroad, which is a symbol of the clash of civilizations.

Wincer most recently helmed the Steven Spielberg-produced Emmy winner "Into the West." He also directed the Western miniseries "Lonesome Dove."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

De Bont to direct "Point Break" follow-up
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Seventeen years after "Point Break" hit theaters, surf's up for the sequel, "Point Break: Indo," with Jan de Bont aboard to direct.

Kathryn Bigelow's original, starred de Bont's "Speed" lead, Keanu Reeves, as an FBI agent casing a gang of surfer bank robbers. The follow-up, which will shoot in Singapore and Southeast Asia, will take place 20 years after the disappearance of one of the criminal surfers (Patrick Swayze).

Both the original and sequel are written by W. Peter Iliff. Plot details and possible character reprises have not been disclosed.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Ferrell and McKay developing 'Anchorman 2'
Jul 23, 2008, 06:42 AM | by Nicole Sperling

Ron Burgundy fans rejoice! It looks like Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, the brains behind Anchorman, are ready to put the sexist, freewheeling newscaster back in the anchor chair. McKay tells EW.com that he and Ferrell have begun work on a sequel that could jump ahead a decade to the '80s. (We can see it now: Ron discovers hair mousse.) DreamWorks says it hasn't yet talked to the duo, but that doesn't mean Ferrell and McKay aren't dreaming up inappropriate new plots. "The audience will now allow us to do even crazier stuff," McKay says, "and that's really all we're looking for in our careers."

MacGuffin

Gibson and Glover Up for Lethal Weapon 5?
Source: ComingSoon

Hollywood tracking board TrackingB.com reports that Shane Black, who wrote the first Lethal Weapon movie, has written a spec script for Lethal Weapon 5 without telling anyone. The site adds that he contacted franchise producer Joel Silver and said that he wanted to continue the story.

This time, homicidal Riggs (Mel Gibson) is about to retire, but pulls Murtaugh (Danny Glover) out of retirement to solve one final case, before they both officially head off into the sunset.

TrackingB.com says that Gibson and Glover are down to return, but no deals have been signed.

The first film was released in 1987, the second in 1989, the third in 1992 and the fourth in 1998.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

i just want to see Riggs call one of the female officers sugar tits.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.