LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

Fitzroy

Some BAFTA love for Licorice Pizza!

Though I suspect Belfast will take the Best Film / Screenplay categories because it's BAFTA, this surely bodes well for some Oscar noms too.

Yes

Great showing at BAFTA. Between the guilds and now this, looking really strong for Oscar noms. Alana can make it after all.

Let's just hope it's finally PTA's time for the Screenplay

itwasgood

Congratulations! Hopefully all this British love would work for the Oscars noms too!

wilberfan

Those of you more East-erly than I (which is probably MOST of  you?)--will have an advantage next Tuesday morning...

Rooty Poots

I wonder why it's "8:18 AM". Any significance there? And is this usual? Seems like a detail I'd remember if that ultra-specific scheduled time was a regular thing but also I have little faith in my ability to remember details like that so wait for me to ask this same thing next year.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

It probably has to do with morning show slots.  It's probably the end of the 2nd or 3rd commercial break or something...

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on February 03, 2022, 06:02:15 PM
I wonder why it's "8:18 AM". Any significance there? And is this usual? Seems like a detail I'd remember if that ultra-specific scheduled time was a regular thing but also I have little faith in my ability to remember details like that so wait for me to ask this same thing next year.

It's standard

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Yes on February 03, 2022, 07:02:12 PM

It's standard

Okay thanks; see you all next year with the same question.

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on February 03, 2022, 08:09:46 PM
Quote from: Yes on February 03, 2022, 07:02:12 PM

It's standard

Okay thanks; see you all next year with the same question.

Lol it's a ridiculously early tradition so I don't blame you

DickHardwood2022

So guys i know awards arent hugely important  but whats your predictions  for Licorice Pizza as far as oscar nominations  go?

Yes

Quote from: DickHardwood2022 on February 07, 2022, 04:10:23 AM
So guys i know awards arent hugely important  but whats your predictions  for Licorice Pizza as far as oscar nominations  go?

Given the guild and industry momentum:
Picture (PGA+BAFTA+Globe+AACTA+NBR)
Director (DGA+BAFTA+AACTA+NBR)
Screenplay (WGA+Globe+BAFTA+AACTA+NY)
Editing (ACE+BAFTA)

These should happen. Picture is locked and Screenplay, too. PTA isn't really a director who makes DGA but is snubbed (Sorkin, Taika, Cooper, Farrelly, McDonagh, Garth Davis, even Ridley Scott or Clint Eastwood). Editing is the least certain but it's made everything it needed to.

NEXT IN LINE:
Actress (Globe+BAFTA)
Supporting Actor (SAG+AACTA)

SAG is a very crucial precursor so Bradley Cooper oughta be in. He also made the Australian Oscars which has industry overlap. Haim is 50/50

POSSIBLE BUT NOT EXPECTED:
Production Design (ADG)

It can slip in but didn't make BAFTA so unlikely.

PROBABLY NOT:
Costume Design

Costumes didn't catch on this time like Phantom Thread and Inherent Vice

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Yes on February 07, 2022, 04:49:30 AM

Editing (ACE+BAFTA)

These should happen. Picture is locked and Screenplay, too. PTA isn't really a director who makes DGA but is snubbed (Sorkin, Taika, Cooper, Farrelly, McDonagh, Garth Davis, even Ridley Scott or Clint Eastwood). Editing is the least certain but it's made everything it needed to.

NEXT IN LINE:
Actress (Globe+BAFTA)

SAG is a very crucial precursor so Bradley Cooper oughta be in. He also made the Australian Oscars which has industry overlap. Haim is 50/50

Production Design (ADG)

PROBABLY NOT:
Costume Design

This is a really well thought out analysis; thanks for writing it. Can't think of anything I disagree with.

On a side note, the fact PTA continues to be under-appreciated by the DGA has always seriously befuddled me.

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on February 07, 2022, 11:52:03 AM
Quote from: Yes on February 07, 2022, 04:49:30 AM

Editing (ACE+BAFTA)

NEXT IN LINE:
Actress (Globe+BAFTA)

Production Design (ADG)

PROBABLY NOT:
Costume Design

This is a really well thought out analysis; thanks for writing it. Can't think of anything I disagree with.

On a side note, the fact PTA continues to be under-appreciated by the DGA has always seriously befuddled me.

It's insane but DGA is representative of the top 5 films and PTA has only had 1 top-tier contender prior to Licorice Pizza (There Will Be Blood). At least the Academy came through for Phantom Thread

It's the writing guild who has respected him the most: Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, The Master, Licorice Pizza. They have more quirky taste, despite the Inherent Vice oversight

Yes

It underperformed unfortunately but still made Picture, Director, Screenplay.

PTA now has 11 nominations on his career