Dune (Denis Villeneuve)

Started by Capote, September 15, 2019, 04:59:02 AM

Capote

Nah fuck this. I have a choice between shit with the FBI or Getting my fucking IP leaked? you guys are fucked. im not leaking shit. leak my fucking IP, Im done

ForTheHungryBoy

This is gonna be fuggin amazing

jenkins

...a side-by-side comparison between the trailer for this movie and...the David Lynch movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcZPZGq3Zy8&feature=emb_title

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Jodorowsky Says Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' Looks "Very Well Done" But Is "Predictable" & "Industrial"

Speaking to the French outlet, Le Point, Jodorowsky not only talked about his vision for "Dune," but also why he can't help but be disappointed in the forthcoming Warner Bros. film. The filmmaker said his version of "Dune" would have been "a bit like André Breton's 'Nadja.'" He further explained that his "Dune" would have lasted 14 hours and would have felt like Breton's work in the sense that it would have been "a manifesto to penetrate the minds of individuals and cause a pandemic, but which is focused on life and not on death like the one we know today."

[...]

"I saw the trailer. It's very well done," Jodorowsky said. "We can see that it is industrial cinema, that there is a lot of money, and that it was very expensive. But if it was very expensive, it must pay in proportion. And that is the problem: There are no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere. The shape of it, the lighting, the acting, it's all predictable."

He added, "Industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema. For the former, money comes before. For the second, it's the opposite, whatever the quality of a director, whether my friend Nicolas Winding Refn or Denis Villeneuve. Industrial cinema promotes entertainment, it is a show that is not intended to change humanity or society."

The filmmaker does say that he "has no doubt" that Villeneuve's film will be viewed as a success. But clearly, Jodorowsky has other ideas for what would have made a truly great "Dune."

WorldForgot

Likin' the close-ups. David Lynch's suit-shields can't be topped, though. Plus, that one had a pug in space.

Drenk

Ascension.

pynchonikon

LMAO

https://twitter.com/joshrothkopf/status/1433818553849876518

I mean, of course I want Dune to be great and Villeneuve to succeed, but reading such statements from professionals is ludicrous.

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on September 03, 2021, 11:33:07 AM
LMAO
reading such statements from professionals is ludicrous.

Whew.  That was my first reaction, too.  Actually, my first reaction was "Bet it isn't!"

Drenk

Festival Brains are something else.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Did you not like Blade Runner 2049? I'd be very surprised if this isn't great.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2021, 02:30:52 PM
Did you not like Blade Runner 2049? I'd be very surprised if this isn't great.

Saw it twice, liked it, but didn't love it. [and I'm a huge fan of the original]

Liked Arrival more than BR49, though my favorite Villeneuve remains Enemy fwiw.

wilberfan

QuoteIt's something dreamier and weirder, a movie that straddles the line between auteurist art-film and studio blockbuster so provocatively that even after watching it, I can't quite predict how "Dune" will fare when it comes out in theaters (and on HBO Max) on Oct. 22. When I left my screening, the first critic I spoke to was totally besotted. The second fled the theater as if Villeneuve had planted a bomb there.

Source

I liked Arrival, gave up half way thru BR49, fwiw.