All things Cult Cinema

Started by wilder, March 27, 2017, 06:00:36 PM

WorldForgot

Fulci elevates saxophone sexiness to new heights in The Devil's Honey (1980)/Dangerous Obsession

wilder

May 25, 2021

Ken Shapiro's The Groove Tube (1974) on blu-ray from Hen's Tooth Video, from a 4K scan of 35mm archival film materials

The Groove Tube spoofs television and commercials in an outrageous series of skits. Lampooning everything from cooking shows to public service announcements, this fast paced predecessor to Saturday Night Live deftly assaults the medium of television itself. Both Chevy Chase and Richard Belzer made their screen debuts in this wild comedy hit.

May 11, 2021

Yasuzo Masumura's Giants and Toys (1958) On blu-ray from Arrow

Making its worldwide Blu-ray debut, this lurid adaptation of the award-winning 1957 novel by Ken Kaiko is considered a landmark in Japanese film history and a key work by Yasuzo Masumura (Blind Beast, Red Angel), one of the country's most highly acclaimed directors of his generation. Its absurdist and acidly cynical take on the excesses of the media and advertising worlds recalls the work of Frank Tashlin (Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?), as it presents a garish vision of a bold new postwar Japan where traditional company values come head-to-head with American-style consumer capitalism.

March 23, 2021

Alain Payet's Furies Sexuelles (1976) / Prostitution Clandestine (1975) on blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome, from 2K restorations of the original camera negatives

Alain Payet was one of the first, and most controversial, auteurs to take full advantage of France's legalization of hardcore sex in the cinema. Eschewing the superficial fluff pieces being directed by his peers, Payet's films delved into the strange and perverse underbelly of Parisian sex culture. Presented here are his two earliest hardcore ventures, both produced by frequent Jess Franco collaborator, Robert de Nesle.

Marie-Madeleine is a shopgirl who, at the persuasion of her lecherous boss, has begun exchanging sexual favors with the store's most affluent clientele. After being fired for refusing one of her customer's advances, she finds solace in a squalid bar, which turns out to be a haven for prostitutes. Deciding to try her hand at the profession once again, but this time on her own terms, Marie is quickly immersed into a world of increasingly debauched and hedonistic experiences which soon threaten to destroy her in body and soul. A fittingly seedy and well directed drama, FURIES SEXUELLES (aka Les Marie-Madeleine) is presented here in its totally uncensored original director's cut, completely unseen since 1976. (106 min)

Claudine and Martine are two young women who work as glamor models. But that's only a cover for their actual profession: high class call girls servicing the whims and hidden fantasies of Paris' high society. A virtual who's who of early French hardcore, PROSTITUTION CLANDESTINE stars Claudine Beccarie (Exhibition), Sylvia Bourdon (Pussy Talk), Pamela Stanford (Cannibal Terror), and many others and is presented totally uncut for the first time on video.

March 21, 2021

Sergio Martino's Silent Action (1975) on blu-ray from the newly launched label Fractured Visions (UK)

From maverick filmmaker Sergio Martino (Torso) comes his most explosive and provocative film, Silent Action. When high-ranking military officials turn up dead, all from apparent suicides or suspicious accidents, it's down to Inspector Giorgio Solmi (Luc Merenda, The Violent Professionals) to find out what's happened to them. Aided by Captain Mario Sperli (Tomas Milian, Almost Human), the two men soon find themselves in the midst of a deadly political scandal that threatens to bring Rome to its knees.

2021 TBD

Raphaël Delpard's Clash (1984) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Le chat qui fume (France), from a 4K restoration

A woman revisits long-suppressed nightmares as she is being chased through an abandoned warehouse by a strange man.

December 2021 TBD

Bob Swaim's La Balance (1982) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Le chat qui fume (France), from a 4K restoration

A Paris police detective (Richard Berry) plays rough with a prostitute (Nathalie Baye) and her pimp/lover (Philippe Léotard), whom he wants as an informant.

2022 TBD

John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) on 4K UHD blu-ray from new label Deaf Crocodile

An unlikely partnership between a Highway Patrol Officer, two criminals and a station secretary is formed to defend a defunct Los Angeles precinct office against a siege by a bloodthirsty street gang.

Quote"Almost all of John Carpenter's movies are owned by large entertainment conglomerates. One exception is ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, which is owned by people who made it," says Joseph Kaufman. "As executive producer of the film, I am excited to work with Deaf Crocodile on a 4K scan of the original camera negative, and the possibility of applying new technology, including HDR10 and Dolby Vision, to extract much more from the negative image than has been possible before, while still respecting the movie's original roots."

Quote from: wilder on February 06, 2021, 07:01:25 AM2021 TBD

Walter Boos' Magdalena aka The Devil's Female (1974) on blu-ray from Dark Force Entertainment, from a 4K restoration

Magdalena is an orphan at a girls' school who gets possessed by a demonic supernatural force. She goes into convulsions and makes furniture fly around the room before she gets some help from an exorcist.

Up for pre-order exclusively from Dark Force Entertainment. Limited to 400 copies.

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on March 01, 2021, 08:19:14 PM

Up for pre-order exclusively from Dark Force Entertainment. Limited to 400 copies.

damn, just 400 like that. the l.e. game is getting fierce

pretty sure I first heard about The Groove Tube from PTA in the IV era

the new-me is most excited about Furies Sexuelles / Prostitution Clandestine from this month's VS releases, yeah

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on March 01, 2021, 08:30:43 PMpretty sure I first heard about The Groove Tube from PTA in the IV era

Yes! And Ernie Anderson narrated the Tunnel Vision trailer:

This 1976 film tries to predict what American television will be like in the year 1985. Tunnelvision is America's first "uncensored and free" television network. Although wildly popular, it is also blamed for increased crime and unemployment. Christian A. Broder, president and founder of Tunnelvision, is called to defend his network in front of a Senate sub-committee. The sub-committee decides to view excerpts from a "typical" day of Tunnelvision broadcasting. What follows is a series of brief skits lampooning television, including cop shows, news broadcasts, situation comedies, and (of course) commercials.

QuoteThis darker, meaner Groove Tube knockoff definitely had its moments.  From Neal Israel, who later directed the eerily prescient (though much more chipper) "Americathon".

wilder

Quote from: wilder on January 10, 2021, 07:56:55 PMApril 16, 2021

Roland Klick's Deadlock (1970) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Subkultur Entertainment (Germany). Includes English subtitles.

In a deserted mining town at the end of nowhere three desperate men fight over a suitcase full of cash.

Quote from: Letterboxd user Kevin PincusA suitcase full of money is a premise as old as the western genre itself, probably even older, and there's no shortage of slickly directed, well acted, top-quality grime-caked Eurowesterns. Deadlock stands ahead of the pack for a few reasons- namely, it's setting, an impossible-to-define wasteland beyond time dense with dusty, broken genre iconography, looking just alien enough that you can never quite put your finger on where and when you are. But let's be real- that's well and good, but this thing boasts a krautrockin' soundtrack by (The) Can, and if you need anything else to sell you on it, buddy, you might be beyond help. Play loud.

Up for pre-order. Limited to 500 copies.

Quote from: jenkins on March 01, 2021, 08:30:43 PMgame is getting fierce

jenkins

owing to the fact that I finally purchased Giuseppe Makes A Movie , well, then I figured I should order a Giuseppe movie. so I did. Touch Me in the Morning, which apparently was distributed by Troma. so now I'll own a Troma release and, well, funny enough, another of their releases is on its way to me, Def by Temptation. obviously they're both distributed not produced by Troma but it is a bit of like, oh my god what I have done, to me. which makes me feel young again

I'll speak more about Giuseppe after I see his movie. apparently he's been missing since 2015 but that's after the movie came out. choosing disappearance over suicide is a wise move, respect

jenkins

this movie with John Cassavetes as a doctor is supported by VS community members

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on March 07, 2021, 01:15:18 PM
owing to the fact that I finally purchased Giuseppe Makes A Movie , well, then I figured I should order a Giuseppe movie. so I did. Touch Me in the Morning, which apparently was distributed by Troma. so now I'll own a Troma release and, well, funny enough, another of their releases is on its way to me, Def by Temptation. obviously they're both distributed not produced by Troma but it is a bit of like, oh my god what I have done, to me. which makes me feel young again

I'll speak more about Giuseppe after I see his movie. apparently he's been missing since 2015 but that's after the movie came out. choosing disappearance over suicide is a wise move, respect

Touch Me in the Morning iz brill. He was actually found by a young superfan. That itself

jenkins

jenkins

jenkins

I adored Giuseppe Makes a Movie so severely. I'm afraid that it's going to be hard for the movies themselves to top the documentary. for example the movie he's making in the documentary is also included but I'm not rushing to it

a slight scratch on the used disc affects about 2-3secs of the movie and that drives me absolutely crazy but that's an unrelated side story

jenkins

oh shit, okay. but then I watched the Giuseppe and that did rule for the reasons he described. for the feeling. when the homeless took over in Viridiana

jenkins

I heard about Gas Pump Girls because my friend purchased it from Ronin Flix, although I watched it on amazon prime. I want to immediately mention that this is how I learned about the dp, Nicholas Josef von Sternberg, and right within his name is his father's name, he also shot Dolemite (his first dp job), Disco 9000, Petey Wheatstraw, Tourist Trap, Wacko, Joysticks, and, later, Texasville

okay but enough about him, I went to get into how much I liked this movie that isn't technically good. first of all its rhythm is super unusual, nothing out there like it. the speed of the movie is otherworldly, and I could never guess what would happen next. things magically happen in this movie. I have provided a video of the sole singing moment, although there is also a dance scene

this movie is not an anomalous occurrence and it's quite like other 70s movies, from American Graffiti to Grease, and today I learned about Skateboard. but it's definitely a genre missing from us today, making its reappearance in Soggy Bottom you may have noticed

jenkins

learned about this from Jeff Lieberman's Facebook page, which I clicked a link to (he's a member, it was mentioned) in the 326.6k strong Incredible Strange Films Facebook group

the back says:
QuoteIn this hilarious compilation of true stories , cult favorite writer-director Jeff Lieberman brings us along on a wild odyssey going in depth into his early work in the Golden Age of 70's horror with such classics as Squirm, Blue Sunshine, and Just Before Dawn, then on to award-winning network documentaries & mainstream entertainment. Political & social commentary has always been Lieberman's trademark & here he tells it like it was with the same unique comic voice and biting satire that's signified his work from the start.Lieberman's fearless and funny exploits reveal the events and relationships that influenced some of his greatest accomplishments. And failures. There's something for everyone here. Horror fans young and old will revel in Lieberman's colorful accounts of how his classic cult films came to fruition, while his fellow baby boomers get to be flies on the wall while the action plays out with some of the favorites of their generation, the likes of Dustin Hoffman, Rod Serling, John Lennon and many others. This eclectic mix covers Jeff's fifty years working in the industry, is illustrated with photos throughout and is sure to bring back some fun times in your life.

wilder

May 11, 2021

Nouchka van Brakel's Van de koele meren des doods aka The Cool Lakes of Death (1982) on blu-ray from Cult Epics, from a 4K restoration of the original camera negative

The film chronicles the tragic story of a wealthy woman whose sexual desires change her into a prostitute, working on the streets of Paris during the 1880s.

Quote from: Cult Epics*The new promotional trailer that is included below does not reflect the quality of the new 4K transfer that was created for the film. It is cut from the only existing 35mm work print and a vintage English language trailer.

Q4 2021 TBD

Max Pécas' Brigade des moeurs aka Death Brigade (1985) on blu-ray from Mondo Macabro, from a 4K restoration. Also coming in UHD from Le chat qui fume later in the year, sans subtitles.

When the investigation on a prostitute murder by the Paris vice department derails, one cop will stop at nothing for revenge.

NSFW

Summer 2021 TBD

Jean Rollin's Bacchanales Sexuelles (1974) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Le chat qui fume (France)

Valerie, a beautiful young girl, watches over her cousin's place while he's away for six months. She spends her first night there reading, playing records and calling her girlfriend over for some hot lesbian sex! That night, members of a crazed sex cult break in and mistakenly kidnap Sophie. Valerie's cousin, a member of this cult, has some incriminating photos and the leader wants to ruin his life. Once the kidnapping plot is uncovered, Valerie and Sophie's horny friend Fred go to the cult's mansion stronghold to stop all this madness! And madness it is! This cult classic from Jean Rollin is an insane mix of humor and sex.

NSFW Trailer

2021 TBD

Ralph Bakshi's Fritz the Cat (1972) on blu-ray from Scorpion Releasing

Fritz is a feline college student of New York City in the '60s, using hippie buzzwords and fashion to score easy sex and drugs. After smoking some strong marijuana in Harlem, Fritz hallucinates and ignites a shooting incident with the police, resulting in the death of his friend Duke. Based on R. Crumb's underground comic character

Summer 2021 TBD

John J. McLaughlin's Death Collector (1988) on blu-ray from Culture Shock, from a 4K remaster

In a future time, when things have reverted back to the days of the Old West, a man goes after the gang that murdered his brother.

Quote from: Letterboxd user Justine WieseA low budget, regionally shot, dystopian sorta-western that feels like an Alex Cox film with Lynchian overtones

July 20, 2021

Denis Héroux's Born for Hell (1976) on blu-ray from Severin, from a 2K restoration

Loosely based on the notorious Richard Speck murders, this is the grim tale of a disturbed Vietnam vet returning home via Belfast, who invades a house shared by eight nurses and proceeds to terrorize and murder them.

2021 TBD

Tinto Brass's first feature Chi Lavora E'Perdto aka Who Works Is Lost (1963) on blu-ray from Raro Video, limited to 1,000 copies. Up for pre-order.

Bonifacio is 27 years old and he is roaming about Venice. He is trying to decide whether to accept a job or not. In so doing, he recalls all his past life: his love story with Gabriella, his old friend Claudio, who had always regarded working as a worthwhile thing, the war, the partisans.