All things Cult Cinema

Started by wilder, March 27, 2017, 06:00:36 PM

jenkins

I watched Snapshot from Vinegar, and although the ending is so-so the lead up to is great, and I became aware of Brian May, who
"rates highly as one of the best film music composers in the history of Australian cinema," and wrote music for Patrick, Mad Max, Road Games, Turkey Shoot, some others

jenkins

dang wilder I'm sorry to see that post go but I'm always sorry to see your posts go. classic wbf and wilder in the same night. I like you guys

I had delayed my response because I was watching Lucifer's Women which, although it has the infamous Paul Thomas, isn't a hardcore movie. it makes me lol that I can say this but there are sex scenes though they aren't hardcore. just, you know, normal sex scenes. there's also drug use and satanism and sideshow culture and I was a big fan of this movie. funny enough it was edited by David Webb Peoples. it's post60s but it definitely reminds me of the 60s, and I mean that as a compliment, because of how aptly it handles philosophy. it's a coherent narrative rich with applicable atmosphere

VS continues to delight me

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on December 21, 2020, 02:17:34 AM
I'm always sorry to see your posts go. classic wbf and wilder in the same night. I like you guys

Seconded ~

jenkins

it's only a matter of time before i see these recent AGFA releases. both their marketing materials reference John Waters. man oh man to think of other John Waters who didn't make it. there were more of him

jenkins

Artsploitation had a popular release this year

QuoteProbably the horniest film I've seen this year, The Prince is a homoerotic, heightened prison drama, where sex and violence collides as various men are ascribed roles - and when they step out of their roles chaos ensues. It at times feels almost like a fantasy but the brutal edge to the violence and the scenes of authentic fucking keep it grounded, dirty, visceral. The denouement sees an unbroken circle and a sense of inevitability, as these fascinating characters continue trying to make connections in a life with little hope and no freedom. Oh, and LOTS of penis.

jenkins

there is or there should be a specific thread for best video essays but I couldn't find it. this is the best video essay I've ever watched, wilder shared it in the Tarkovsky thread

WorldForgot

DO NOT WATCH if you do not vibe with abrasive noise music/industrial sound design --
to all the rest, this experimental film creates magic out of super 8mmz soul ~

Spoiler: ShowHide
Love, mourning, friendship are all alike in that our body must 'process' in order to experience. Then, too, our bodies are camera and film and agents of constellation.

At some point i started interpreting its score as the frequencies coming off the film's shadow range.

jenkins

watched Ticket of No Return, which made its way to me through xixax. 1h2m to 1h10m is high-level stuff while the rest of it is slightly wavering. great opening. great other moments but this a lighter side of "narcissistic pessimistic worship of loneliness" compared to, say, The Savage Eye. so a difference between them is the VO in The Savage Eye, while the protagonist in Ticket of No Return is a mute (she does speak once: when she's on the hood of the car wearing a helmet, and the driver asks if she's okay). there's a greek chorus that sometimes allows for an outside perspective but i wouldn't say there's a psychological through line. I'm glad to have it and I'll rewatch it at some point too (I'd like to at least)

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on December 31, 2020, 11:59:45 AM

DO NOT WATCH if you do not vibe with abrasive noise music/industrial sound design --
to all the rest, this experimental film creates magic out of super 8mmz soul ~

Spoiler: ShowHide
Love, mourning, friendship are all alike in that our body must 'process' in order to experience. Then, too, our bodies are camera and film and agents of constellation.

At some point i started interpreting its score as the frequencies coming off the film's shadow range.

" magic out of super 8mmz soul" is accurate

wilder

Quote from: wilder on December 11, 2020, 04:57:54 AMNovember 27, 2020

Douglas Buck's Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America (2003) on blu-ray from Severin

Over the course of seven years, three short films about the brutal dissolution of the American family – CUTTING MOMENTS (1997), HOME (1998), and PROLOGUE (2003) – elicited both horrified gasps and standing ovations at film festivals around the world.

This. Is. Amazing.

I'm not the first to say so but it's got to be the closest thing to an American counterpart to Haneke's The Seventh Continent.

The film highlights the chasms between its character's attempts to connect to one another and the disappointing results of their efforts. There's sparse dialogue, but much of it plays out as a meticulously realized silent film, drawing out the desperate silences between people until those moments become as painful as the shocking punctuations the movie is more known for.

This is unbelievably deft visual filmmaking (don't let the aesthetically rough surface fool you) and even more darkly comic than Solondz's films (if that's even possible), which strike similar emotional chords. I'm internally laughing but my face isn't smiling at all. One of the best things I've seen in several years. Can't wait to dive into the extras on the Severin disc.

Has anyone seen Buck's remake of De Palma's Sisters? The reviews are horrible but I'm inclined to seek it out as it's the only other feature he's made.

jenkins

god I gotta see it. during the severin black friday sale I could only figure out Viy and didn't order anything. You know VS tickled me the most during 2020, although I still consider mondo macabro the pound for pound champion

I was going to bring up brigsby bear but seems kind of embarrassing now

jenkins

being so familiar with VS now and everything I placed my LA Wars order today, because that's a limited release of four thousand and it's down to 48 today

wilder you already have LA Wars but just so you know Action USA is also a limited release and it's down to 389, and well three days ago it was 699. so it's flying

wilder

Thanks to your earlier post and that podcast, I placed a hefty order the other day that included 9 Lives..., the Sarno, Roberta Findlay's A Woman's Torment, Psycho Cop Returns, and Satan's Blood, so I'm spent for a little while.

Haven't watched LA Wars yet. Action U.S.A. looks really fun but after that haul I'm going to have to miss out on it for the time being.

jenkins

nice nice nice. it's so fun, they're fun. that Sarno is #1 in their sexploitation series, which is a limited number series as well. Pick-Up and Fugitive Girls are already gone for good, so I need to order Andy Milligan's Seeds / Vapors before I miss out on that like I missed out on Fleshpot on 42nd Street. what i hope is that an adult films sale happens on vday this year like it did last year. then if they're part of the sale i'll order Seeds/Vapors and i am like dying dying to see this period piece film noir hardcore movie Dixie Ray Hollywood Star, "one of the last truly ambitious X rated movies ever made," and Bijou, a "fever dream blending the erotic and the divine in equal parts, Bijou is a psychosexual puzzle that rewards multiple viewings" and "set a new standard for explicit cinema when it opened in 1972."

but I had to order LA Wars because it's about to go. honestly questionable taste is a lot of fun at VS and though they're head scratchers in part they also haven't shown me a bad movie yet. I do hear they have bad movies though. Personally I take my time with watching them because I'm sad when I've already watched them

jenkins

I adore these people, this is the most first world statement I've heard in a week